Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a Ford Focus Stationwagon (2003) with a defective tail gate lock. I can open the tail gate mechanical using the key, but the botton on the key or on the dash board does not work.

When I'am pushing the botton on the dashboard, I notice some kind of click behind the glove compartment. Is there a kind of switch or relay behind the glove compartment that might causing trouble, or maybe just a defective fuse?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I think there is a relay, but I also know that on cars this age the hatch locking mechanism starts freezing up, mine has long been acting up and I have to hold it to get it to unlock even after I lubed the mechanism... But lubing it did let it start working again even if it has difficulty doing so...

Worst case sanario you can just pull one from a parted out/scrapped focus...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think there is a relay, but I also know that on cars this age the hatch locking mechanism starts freezing up, mine has long been acting up and I have to hold it to get it to unlock even after I lubed the mechanism... But lubing it did let it start working again even if it has difficulty doing so...

Worst case sanario you can just pull one from a parted out/scrapped focus...
The tail gate lock sometimes works, like in 1/20 times maybe. Is that usual if the mechanism starts to freeze up?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
It might also be the hatch wiring problem, or the license plate lights. Check the wiring in the at the top of the hatch when open, pull the boot down carefully so you don't tear it, and make sure the wiring inside is not damaged. Apply silicon grease to all the wires if not already damaged, that will prevent rubbing damage. Use only silicone grease as petroleum based greases will break down the insulation.

The license plate lights tend to take on water and then you get passive corrosion. It can damage the grounding, and that is a ground for all the circuits in the back. Check your owner's manual for the proper procedure to remove the license plate lights. On my car, I just pried lens down from one side. The only trick was that both lenses prised from the same side in relation to the car body whereas you'd expect the installation to be mirrored.

Another reported problem was the button in the dash itself. The button can be cleaned if you remove the dash, and that usually solves the problem.

This latch mechanism should be greased. It should not have WD40 or any other thin oil sprayed on it. If you do that, it will make the problem worse, and you will require grease even if the real problem was something else. Any sort of grease will work, for example, with the door open, manually work the lock using your finger and the key, grease the moving parts that you can reach with your finger using wheel bearing grease. Since you live in a cold and damp climate, I'd do this yearly as part of my winterization maintenance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another reported problem was the button in the dash itself. The button can be cleaned if you remove the dash, and that usually solves the problem.
Thank you for the reply!

But is the dash board botton really defective when I can hear some kind of click behind the glove compartment when it is pushed?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to check if the wires to the lock-mechanism is intact by using a multimeter. Do anyone know how I should proceed to check the connector which is plugged into the lock-mechanism?

I think the plastic connector has 3 or 4 different metal "plugs" inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts