Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, It's been a good month for ol' Jeff and his SVT. I just finished installing a carbon fiber heat extractor and NACA air duct in my factory hood, for a grand total of about $230. I paid to have the holes cut and the parts installed etc.

There is now a direct path for air straight to my CAI and the difference is AWESOME. Haven't driven it too much with the ram-air, but I can tell you it is well worth the effort!!

[thumb] [thumb]

BTW I did the hood for performance not looks. But everyone that's seen it so far has been stoked!

What do you all think?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
got any pics?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Ram Air is a marketing scam but it still sounds cool. It sounds like an aggressive looking cold air intake. It should be safer than a cai when puddle-busting!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picture to come shortly.

Having difficulty posting image. It is way less than 50k, so I don't know what the prob is yet

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I uploaded the image to the SVT photo gallery and it seemed to work. I guess you guys can see the image there.?!?!?!?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Not my personal taste, but to each his own. I would had just blown the extra money on a full out brand new hood, which I am doing now... Btw, you're not actually "ram"ing in air, you however are bringing in much cooler air into your short ram intake which is the reason why you're feeling any sort of performance beef.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone with a lot of cash can buy whatever is for sale. ...it takes no talent or vision whatsoever.

No one else in the world has a hood exactly like mine because "I" made it.

Big difference in approach here.

I have the money to buy a whole new hood, but I chose to customize the one I already had.

I agree that "ram-air" is a marketing term. But at speed the air going straight into the duct builds a certain amount of pressure in the air box area, and it almost feels boosted.

If you think I am making this up, you are more than welcome to drive my car and see for yourself.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
I do not doubt that you got more power but it's due to more cold air coming in to the intake from the hole in the hood, not the 'Ram air' effect.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... [paranoid]

If I were gonna put vents in my hood I'd go for the WRC vents, at least they were designed to fit on the Focus hood.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
looks pretty cool its very original I'm sure that when your going 70 It doesn't cause a "ram air" effect but the winds make the intake get colder air due to the wind chill factor

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SVT4ME said:
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... [paranoid]

If I were gonna put vents in my hood I'd go for the WRC vents, at least they were designed to fit on the Focus hood.
I've never seen those. Could you post a link?

I'm not changing what I've done...just curious.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Those look like "stick on"

Ram air is only functional at high speed. But those vents won't be functional at high speed because they are to far back.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
HONDAHATER said:
I've never seen those. Could you post a link?

I'm not changing what I've done...just curious.
Huh, well I don't have a specific link to a place that sells them - I'm sure you could find some with a little detective work. I'm talking about the actual hood (or bonnet as they say in England) vents that are used on the WRC cars, they've changed over the years but all the styles look pretty good to me - just look at any picture of a WRC Focus and you'll see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Well here's a pic of the style I was thinking of, only problem is I forgot that at least as they are on the *real* thing, they don't match from side to side depending on the year. The style earlier than the one shown here matches from side to side but has no "fins" only a huge gaping hole filled with mesh. So whatever, I won't be venting my hood anytime soon anyway. [rolleyes]

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
focus said:
Those look like "stick on"

Ram air is only functional at high speed. But those vents won't be functional at high speed because they are to far back.
Another tragic case of SVT envy...it is soooooooo sad to see.[:(]

But the good news is.... THERE'S A CURE!!!

Get a real Focus![clap]

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
LOL a real focus, i dont think he wants to trade in for a PZEV...........andsoem people like to dotheirown work, unlike some people who pay the factory to do it for them[;)]
**supresses SVT comments***
now exactly which one of your vents does the suckin and whch one does the blowin?

i think theyd look better if they were molded in and flush, then painted, maybe somthing to think about in the future

1 - 20 of 79 Posts