Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never put turbo in a car but my brother knows how to and can. I plan on getting like a T3. I have a 2002 zx3 with magnaflow cat back and a cold air intake.. I am just wondering what kind of WHP I will get with the engine just stock with a safe amount of boost. (What would be safe for stock?)

Also is there anyone in the NE area that could tune it for me once it's all installed?

Should the car run "OK" with the stock tune programed in the PCM? Like after I install the turbo could I drive it to a shop to be tuned?

Thanks,
Ryan

(Sorry if I ask stupid questions just trying to gain info)[loveff]

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Your WHP depends on the turbo. There are several different "T3s", depends on the A/R and Trim. A stock ZX3 can make 220 - 240 whp on a GOOD TUNE.

6-8psi is safe. Some have 10psi.

Talk to 1Turbofocus here on FF about tuning. He might be able to tune it for you by remote.

when you do install this turbo kit you will need new Fuel Injectors. The car will not run correctly with these installed.

There is a lot to explain here, search some more you have a lot of research to do if you are serious about this and do not want to cause serious damage to your car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your WHP depends on the turbo. There are several different "T3s", depends on the A/R and Trim. A stock ZX3 can make 220 - 240 whp on a GOOD TUNE.

6-8psi is safe. Some have 10psi.

Talk to 1Turbofocus here on FF about tuning. He might be able to tune it for you by remote.

when you do install this turbo kit you will need new Fuel Injectors. The car will not run correctly with these installed.

There is a lot to explain here, search some more you have a lot of research to do if you are serious about this and do not want to cause serious damage to your car.
So basically if I buy a mafia or a SCT tuner he can send me a program and I can just put it into the car? That would be easy :)

Yeah I know about the injectors was going to go to a junkyard and get some from like a mustang gt? Not sure what year is best the 5.0 or the 4.6 gonna guess the 4.6 because of OBD 2. (Will they plug right in?)

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Lol I don't know much about turbo, but good luck Buddy

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I would not suggest going to a junkyard for injectors....I know you might try to do this as cheap as possible but be careful as going cheap can ultimately cause big problems in the future.If you are going to stay under 10psi you can pick up a set of 42# cheap. I would go with 50-60# injectors but that's for higher power.

Do a lot of searching on here as going turbo is a big commitment. I would advise you start reading this thread...http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145826

and then read these...
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174755

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
So basically if I buy a mafia or a SCT tuner he can send me a program and I can just put it into the car? That would be easy :)
Not exactly. It's not just ONE tune. It's TUNING. It will take lots of datalogging to get your car to about 90% tuned. If it was one tune that did the trick everyone would probably be boosted....

·
Stock
5,040 Posts
Cheap is not the way to do things. It ends up costing you in the end. Are planning on intercooling? If not then you cant do more than 6 psi i think safely. Ive heard zetec can push about 12 psi and then things start to break. Im going to be pushing 8-10 psi, whatever gives me around 200whp. Tom's remote tuning is a very good idea if you cant get down to him. I would advise him or someone that has a lot of experience tuning foci, you dont want to be someone's first focus and have them fry your engine. Make sure that you have extra money set aside too. Its the little things that have pushed me over my budget, id say if your buying used make sure you have 1-2k extra. New there is less chance of stuff being bad so prolly just 1k or so. FYI ive gone about 1.5k over the budget i projected so just keep that in mind. Also buy your injectors new. There are somethings that dont really matter like piping, b/c you can always clean that up, but things like injectors and unless you are 100% sure i wouldnt buy a used turbo either. I bought one and it was crap, had to spend more money to get a new one, nice thing is that one is under warranty.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Read my signature I have #42lb injectors for sale

Thats better than junkyard mustang ones

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
well i got a whole kit for sale, you dont have to worry about how to do the install (instructions included) ,any custom parts, injectors, or any thing else BUT the tune.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yeah I know about the injectors was going to go to a junkyard and get some from like a mustang gt? Not sure what year is best the 5.0 or the 4.6 gonna guess the 4.6 because of OBD 2. (Will they plug right in?)
The 5.0L and 2V 4.6L use 19Lb/HR injectors which won't make any difference. They should (keyword should) plug in. If you are going to a junk yard to dig up injectors then you need to find an 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra or a 2nd Gen Lightning with the green top injectors. These a 42Lb/HR injectors which should be the smallest I would suggest. I have 60Lb/HR Siemen injectors that I got cheap on eBay. I needed adapters to make the plugs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is this size turbo safe for stock ZETEC?

* CXRacing T04E TURBOCHARGER WITH INTERNAL WASTEGATE

COMPRESSOR A/R 60, EXHAUST A/R 63, CONTAINS WET FLOAT BEARINGS

8 PSI INTERNAL WASTEGATE WITH 2.5 INCH V BAND (INCLUDED IS V BAND CLAMP)

Someone's selling it with the header and an interooler for like $500. If you guys think this turbo is what I'm lookin for to start gathering parts I'll buy it. I'm lookin for some new #42 injectors on ebay also.. BTW this turbo,header, and intercooler is new. No intercooler piping or downpipe.. Idk if anyone knows where I can buy a downpipe from or if it's cheaper to have an exhaust shop make you one up.

Thanks for the help I read those links you gave me ;) helped me out some.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts

Someone's selling it with the header and an interooler for like $500. If you guys think this turbo is what I'm lookin for to start gathering parts I'll buy it. I'm lookin for some new #42 injectors on ebay also.. BTW this turbo,header, and intercooler is new. No intercooler piping or downpipe.. Idk if anyone knows where I can buy a downpipe from or if it's cheaper to have an exhaust shop make you one up.

Is the manifold for a Focus....Where do you see this item selling? I have a used Focus power manifold I will sell for $100 if you are really interested. If you want pics i can post later today.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts

If you buy junk you will end up with junk as a turbo kit , spend the money wisely not cheaply if thats a word , I have more then once replaced turbo parts on the focus for people that have gone cheap and had to change it to something good and doing it this way cost 2 times the money

Tom

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
go turbo man!!!! it'll be awesome!

my focus doesn't have a turbo (yet) but I use to have a turbo'd Nissan 240 and I miss that thing EVERYDAY

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Heres my Focus Power manifold....

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i hate to go off topic but instead of you guys trying to sell you stuff maybe you should help him find out what he needs. Alot of you guys are actually helping him but some of you are just trying to take advantage of the situation.
To the OP. listen to what they are saying. If you want to go turbo go about it the right way. Buy good parts if you want it to last. Be prepared to drop a decent 3 grand. If thats not what you are looking to do maybe you need to think about if you are ready for this kind of project. There are other options, turbo has the most potential. I would suggest you spend some time with the search button because there is alot to know.
And look in the classifieds for parts usually good stuff comes up sooner or later.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I am just showing him there are good parts that can be picked up a a decent price. Really trying to help him avoid making mistakes. Thats all I am trying to do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is the manifold for a Focus....Where do you see this item selling? I have a used Focus power manifold I will sell for $100 if you are really interested. If you want pics i can post later today.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300280973292#ebayphotohosting

I just bought it.. came home 40 seconds before listing ended and didn't want to miss it. All I need now is an oil return line, downpipe, gauges, injectors, and intercooler piping.

(Anyone have a downpipe, injectors or the gauges I will need for sale?) [wiggle]

I know everyone is saying make sure I have an extra couple grand around (I don't) but I got a spare car ;) 95 mtx SHO so if I have to wait a couple months and work for more $$ and let focus sit it's not a problem.

At this point my biggest worries are which way to run all the intercooler piping and how to mount the intercooler. (anyone have pics?)

I'm also a little worried about the downpipe how it will line up with my exhaust underneith..

I will keep you all posted, this build is for sure.. It's going to be a learning experience and I thank every person that helps me out and I'm pre apoligizing for anything stupid I might say.[smackbum]

Thanks,
Ryan

1 - 20 of 29 Posts