Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the wife's clutches replaced AGAIN. First at 20000 miles and now at 40000 (doesn't seem like a fix) and first we get it back and within days the brake fluid light comes on. Shops says they wouldn't touch the brakes. I suppose it is possible they hung the calipers to the side.

Then I change the oil and see another oil leak this time from the front of the engine. Also missing 3 or 4 undershield bolts and he didn't even slide the tabs into the subframe....just stuck it up and partially screwed it on.Go to Tahoe on vacation. Trans clunks, slips, rattles going up hills. Doesn't shift right at all.

Now we are home and have put about 1500 miles on it since the clutch replacement and it vibrates with a weird rhythm at 65 mph. It is like one large shake and then 3 or 4 small shakes and then another large shake and repeat the pattern.

Pretty sure the hack mechanic didn't torque anything judging by the rest of the work. Literally afraid that if my wife keeps driving it that the trans will lock up. Or a disc or two will exploded inside and cause an accident.

They say it doesn't shudder so it is fine.

It doesn't shudder yet. Who wants to put a wager on which comes first, the shudder returns or my wife dies in an accident?

I'm going to have to give my wife a quick stickshift refresher course and let her drive my SVT and I'll drive the piece of crap 2015. My SVT has about 200 thousand on it and is ten times the car this 2015 piece of junk is.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! Just read more of my link. Thought the car was almost perfect after the last set of clutches. It actually did drive pretty good that time. Now it drives like a stick car with no gear oil driven by a 9 year old kid that hasn't ever driven a car before

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
'It is like one large shake and then 3 or 4 small shakes and then another large shake and repeat the pattern.'

That has something out of balance all over it, the minor vibrations are stacking up to line up to make big ones. A harmonic vibration thing. Mismatched parts clutch assembly likely if they changed it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Shouldn't be vibrating at 65mph for having clutches replaced. When they did the clutch packs on my 13 at 23,000 miles or so, my car has been great until around 91,500. It's in the shop now for possible TCM issues. Not sure what's going on exactly, but trans is having a hard time shifting. That said, my car mostly does interstate driving and when it's on the interstate, it's usually very smooth.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They kept the car for 4 days. Said the trans was fine. Then they told her they took it apart and checked everything. So they did work on it but pretended they didn't. Said they fixed an oil leak. Car does not vibrate now but it also doesn't slip rattle or lurch all over the place like it did before.

The wife is happy that the car doesn't feel like it is going to lock up on the freeway so that's good.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It sounds like someone didn't torque the clutch nuts properly.

The "oil leak" in the pictures in the thread you linked to, usually occur when the oil filter is removed and reinstalled. According to the service procedure, the oil filter adapter is supposed to be removed and reinstalled, which requires the oil filter to be removed. Some of us leave the oil filter adapter in place and work around it.

The oil leak at the front of the engine is from the timing cover. It's a common issue with the 2012 and up Focus. Ford cut a beveled edge into the front cover, which limits the available sealing surface, resulting in a leak.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do they fix the front leak? New part? Gasket?

I'm confused by your answer about the oil filter leak. They think the housing leaks because of removing the filter once? The mating surface on the block had tiny grooves on half of it. The rest of the block and the filter adapter were smooth. The gasket is smooth and thin. It leaked from where the rough surface was left on the block.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The leak from the front cover is "fixed" by removing the front cover, cleaning off the factory silicone, applying new silicon (to the cover itself, not the block like done at the factory) and reinstalling the front cover.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So we thought the car was better after getting it back. Must have been my imagination. They rotated the tires, checked the balance which was fine.

We drove it to LA to go to universal studios and the speed limit on the way is 70. Thing still vibrates with a large shake followed by two small ones. The speed varies. Hitting the gas will make it change sometimes.

There is some brand new road on the way back and it shakes and shakes. The road surface makes no difference.

Wife calls me just now and says that since she gave the dealer we bought it from a bad survey that she isn't allowed to bring it back. They're the ones that screwed it up worse than it was when it was new.

I fully expect it to come apart on the freeway if she keeps driving it.

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
If under warranty, next dealer it is.

Let the new dealer's service writer know your experience with the other dealer without berating them so they aren't leery of working on your vehicle off the bat.

Take the service writer for a test drive so he feels the issue WITH you and agrees to what needs fixed, then that service writer can make sure it's right before delivery... in theory.

Good luck. I really feel for all those stuck with the PowerS**t trans.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts