Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after picking my car up today (trip 8 to the dealership) and driving it around some more. The MFT system still loses pairing with my phone and reboots constantly. It still loses the nav points and gives SD card errors, and the usb ports do not work at all.

On my way home on the freeway I heard a rattling noise under the hood, so tonight I went out in the garage to find that after the dealership had worked on it they had left the fuse box cover and both the front and rear battery covers loose and just floating around in the engine compartment. I was lucky they did not fall onto the exhaust and cause a fire.

As I had not driven the car much in the evening I took it for a short drive and noticed that the ambient lighting in the car was flickering on and off. I pulled the car back in the garage and pulled off the fuse cover on the passenger cover to find that the dealership has broken off the locking connector to the second harness from the left. I have reseated the harness, but it is simply a matter of time before it works it way loose again as the entire connector is damaged. I have no faith in their work.

What kind of dealership would damage a customers vehicle and then try to conceal it? I am so done. What a nightmare.

·
Registered
318 Posts
WOW. That is not okay! If I were you I would go confront them.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Man, you just can't win with this thing. I would contact FoMoCo directly and tell them no more bullshit and that you're entirely done. Just raise a shitstorm until you get high enough up the ladder to get some real results. Trust me, with the amount of issues you've had... if you were to go to any respectable auto magazine with a write-up of your issues I'm sure you'd get some face time and Ford would probably be losing out on a good chunk of customers... try to resolve this.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
That's a pretty awful dealer. I'd see if you can get to another dealer that will treat you right. Or get Ford Corporate involved if you already haven't. Will definitely be easier to getting it replaced under lemon law.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree with going to another dealer. Show them what the dealer did also and ask for help. This is a new platform so a good service tech could make all your headaches disappear.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car has been in the shop eight times for MFT related issues, Ford has flown a tech out twice. I am not going to another dealer. I am not allowing them to work on the car again. They have exceeded the reasonable standard for a non-conformity repair as defined by WA state law. The Attorney General's office and FMC have been notified that I am seeking recourse under WA Lemon Law.

I appreciate eveyone's comments about visiting another dealers, however I am not going to do it. I don't want the car fixed anymore. I just want my money back. Which I will get.

The car will remain parked in my garage until FMC either buys it back, or the AG's arbitration hearing takes place and a decision is reached. The reason is, the worst possible thing that could happen would be to be involved in a wreck in the car, which would then put the onus upon my insurance company to fix all the damage, damage that even Ford themselves is unable to repair. There is no way in hell that I am going to risk giving FMC that out on this deal. As it stands now, I have an airtight Lemon Law claim and will recieve all of my money back, my car payments, interest, tax, doc fees, car insurance and will be made whole again.

The level of incompetence is unbelievable, both from the dealer, the tech's they employ, and the corporate service engineer they flew out to work on the car.

They have worked on the car eight times..... I have been reasonable enough.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Ughh, sounds like my friend's tale of woe with his BMW X6. He had to take BMW to court in order to get his car replaced. It was in the shop every week and would sometimes just die for no reason. Shit happens, I'm sorry it happened to you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My car has been in the shop eight times for MFT related issues, Ford has flown a tech out twice. I am not going to another dealer. I am not allowing them to work on the car again. They have exceeded the reasonable standard for a non-conformity repair as defined by WA state law. The Attorney General's office and FMC have been notified that I am seeking recourse under WA Lemon Law.

I appreciate eveyone's comments about visiting another dealers, however I am not going to do it. I don't want the car fixed anymore. I just want my money back. Which I will get.

The car will remain parked in my garage until FMC either buys it back, or the AG's arbitration hearing takes place and a decision is reached. The reason is, the worst possible thing that could happen would be to be involved in a wreck in the car, which would then put the onus upon my insurance company to fix all the damage, damage that even Ford themselves is unable to repair. There is no way in hell that I am going to risk giving FMC that out on this deal. As it stands now, I have an airtight Lemon Law claim and will recieve all of my money back, my car payments, interest, tax, doc fees, car insurance and will be made whole again.

The level of incompetence is unbelievable, both from the dealer, the tech's they employ, and the corporate service engineer they flew out to work on the car.

They have worked on the car eight times..... I have been reasonable enough.
Rusty, I have a small bit of advice and warning. I dealt with a lemon law claim on my 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Many times the arbitration process HEAVILY favors the car manufacturers. A fellow sonata owner had notarized statements from 10 passengers and 2 techs from different shops saying his car was still broken, and STILL lost his arbitration. If you haven't already, attempt to get in contact with the dealership's owner and give him an ultimatum. I threatened to go public (television stations, print, I even said I would take out a full page ad in the paper :) ) with all of the information and the next day he called me and offered to buy it back. If you win arbitration, you will typically be charged usage on the car which again heavily favors the manufacturer. The entire process is rigged in the favor of the car manufacturers, your best weapon is fear, fear that you will spread the truth and hurt their future sales. Rationality, fairness, reason, none of this matters only the $$$$. If you don't hurt them there, they won't bat an eye.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rusty, I have a small bit of advice and warning. I dealt with a lemon law claim on my 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Many times the arbitration process HEAVILY favors the car manufacturers. A fellow sonata owner had notarized statements from 10 passengers and 2 techs from different shops saying his car was still broken, and STILL lost his arbitration. If you haven't already, attempt to get in contact with the dealership's owner and give him an ultimatum. I threatened to go public (television stations, print, I even said I would take out a full page ad in the paper :) ) with all of the information and the next day he called me and offered to buy it back. If you win arbitration, you will typically be charged usage on the car which again heavily favors the manufacturer. The entire process is rigged in the favor of the car manufacturers, your best weapon is fear, fear that you will spread the truth and hurt their future sales. Rationality, fairness, reason, none of this matters only the $$$$. If you don't hurt them there, they won't bat an eye.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Not true at all, if you have documentation and proof you will win every time you just gotta push, fight, and appeal any decisions you deem unfair. I have personally known 3 people who have won their Lemon Law cases and I think there is an owner on here who's won a case or two himself and while each state does vary in NJ you are refunded the total purchase of the car(this includes title fees, tax etc everything) multiplied by the mileage you had when brought into the dealership divided by 100,000 miles. So let's say your car cost $28,000 and you only had 500 miles on it that means only $140 "is the reasonable allowance for vehicle usage"(I hope I did my math correctly lol)

So no,at least in NJ the reasonable allowance for usage does not heavily favor the manufacturer and the consumer will win everytime, Just make sure you are prepared, read up on the law, if need be(actually I highly recommend) contact a lawyer(they will refund you those fees to if you win)

and to show you how much the Lemon law varies from state to state:

Safetyguy is from IL where he needs 4 attempts or his vehicle out of service for 30 days to be able to qualify. The car also can not be older than 1 year old or more than 12,000 miles

In NJ, you can file a claim after your 3rd attempt or 20 cumulative days out of service. You are also covered for 2 years or 18,000 miles

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not true at all, if you have documentation and proof you will win every time you just gotta push, fight, and appeal any decisions you deem unfair. I have personally known 3 people who have won their Lemon Law cases and I think there is an owner on here who's won a case or two himself and while each state does vary in NJ you are refunded the total purchase of the car(this includes title fees, tax etc everything) multiplied by the mileage you had when brought into the dealership divided by 100,000 miles. So let's say your car cost $28,000 and you only had 500 miles on it that means only $140 "is the reasonable allowance for vehicle usage"(I hope I did my math correctly lol)

So no,at least in NJ the reasonable allowance for usage does not heavily favor the manufacturer and the consumer will win everytime, Just make sure you are prepared, read up on the law, if need be(actually I highly recommend) contact a lawyer(they will refund you those fees to if you win)

and to show you how much the Lemon law varies from state to state:

Safetyguy is from IL where he needs 4 attempts or his vehicle out of service for 30 days to be able to qualify. The car also can not be older than 1 year old or more than 12,000 miles

In NJ, you can file a claim after your 3rd attempt or 20 cumulative days out of service. You are also covered for 2 years or 18,000 miles
You have different experience than many of the people on hyundai-forums.net. In NJ alone, 5 people have filed lemon law claims against the 2011 Hyundai Sonata, only 1 has won. It's entirely up to the whim of the arbitrator.

In Illinois, I was the first individual to go for BBB arbitration with respect to the 2011 Sonata. I was told by the clerk on the phone that it probably wasn't worth my time to take a day off of work and drive up to chicago for the arbitration, the arbitor had never ruled in favor of the consumer when it came to the issue I was having (car drifts left at all times).

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
I have some experience with the process as well, my Aunt had severe issues with her Jeep. She ultimately had it replaced with a newer model.

It took her a bit over a year to get it done, and the vehicle had much worse problems then yours. The vehicle often wouldn't start, and would often stall while driving, leaving her stranded. Hence my suggestion to get a different dealer involved, or bitch out Ford Corporate to get them as a bigger presence in this. It MAY just be that your dealer is incompetent and can't figure out right from left, let alone work on a car. If another dealer can fix your car and do it right, it will be a LOT less trouble on your end.

Also realize you may very well have to hire a lawyer to pursue a lemon law claim.

Basically, I don't see you winning with only MFT problems. Unless there are other issues you'll have to be damn lucky and make a damn good case...the car still runs, and the issue is software related on an option, so you won't have an easy time getting this done.

But it's your time and money...

·
Registered
671 Posts
You have different experience than many of the people on hyundai-forums.net. In NJ alone, 5 people have filed lemon law claims against the 2011 Hyundai Sonata, only 1 has won. It's entirely up to the whim of the arbitrator.

In Illinois, I was the first individual to go for BBB arbitration with respect to the 2011 Sonata. I was told by the clerk on the phone that it probably wasn't worth my time to take a day off of work and drive up to chicago for the arbitration, the arbitor had never ruled in favor of the consumer when it came to the issue I was having (car drifts left at all times).
You can't really go by the internet though, while I don't think your lieing by any means using the internet forum as a basis to see how often people win a claim isn't a very accurate method.

People use the internet more to complain then to praise a product. I am willing to bet 90% of all new users to this forum signed up only because they started experiencing problems with their cars. It definitely would seem there's a vast amount of problems with MFT because of so many new members coming on to complain.

I'm not discrediting any of the problems at all(I had my APIM module replaced) but I haven't experienced any of the transmission issues and MFT has been working pretty much to perfection ever since.

·
Registered
239 Posts
^^^ This!

It's an extremely common phenomenon. Same thing with Audi and carbon build-up issues on the FSI engines. You only tend to hear horror stories on the Internet because it's where communications are most visible and last forever. However, forums are far from a study group. You only gain a glimmer of insight into the X in X/Y.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You can't really go by the internet though, while I don't think your lieing by any means using the internet forum as a basis to see how often people win a claim isn't a very accurate method.

People use the internet more to complain then to praise a product. I am willing to bet 90% of all new users to this forum signed up only because they started experiencing problems with their cars. It definitely would seem there's a vast amount of problems with MFT because of so many new members coming on to complain.

I'm not discrediting any of the problems at all(I had my APIM module replaced) but I haven't experienced any of the transmission issues and MFT has been working pretty much to perfection ever since.

The exact thing can be said of your sample size of "3 people I know". I know what you are saying w/ respect to no accountability on the internet, however I have personally talked to many of the individuals on the phone, it's far less likely for somebody to propagate a lie as far as they would have had to at that point. I guess the moral of the story is YMMV w/ arbitration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts