Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching the Cj Pony parts video it is not hard at all (and one reason I would do the Ford Racing over the other cheaper versions*.. Also the stock unit can be saved and put abck)
So watching the video the hardest things are taking the plastic bits off the console. (and how hard is that?) Mainly difficult if I never did it before,, Worrying about breaking the tabs, etc.

Called the dealer and they want 2.0 of labor, $250 to install the shifter. wow.

So if I get a short throw I guess I am installing it myself. LOL

* I watched those shifter parts installs and too much fooling around for me, plus grinding off the top of the console? Yikes.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Dont be afraid of a little fab work! Build your skills with installs like these to gain that necessary familiarity and knowledge base of your car. Good luck with the install and post some pics

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Dont be afraid of a little fab work! Build your skills with installs like these to gain that necessary familiarity and knowledge base of your car. Good luck with the install and post some pics
It's much better to have a bolt in solution for those who don't need or want to deal with hacking up their stock shifter cage assembly. Not everyone needs a 52% total shift throw reduction (some of the maximum combination of shifter and bracket). It's very nice to have a plug and play option. Who in their right mind wants to hack up their new car? [screwy]

·
Registered
226 Posts
Bag the FRPP shifter and go with the Breedt Quick Shift Arm--it's a much nicer set-up, and no removal of any interior panels. Plus, it's $300 cheaper!

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Bag the FRPP shifter and go with the Breedt Quick Shift Arm--it's a much nicer set-up, and no removal of any interior panels. Plus, it's $300 cheaper!
That requires you to hammer out the roll pin on the transmission, which might be more difficult for a "little old lady" compared to some fiddly but light and relatively easy interior trim work.

http://www.trueblueracingparts.com/2013-2014-FOCUS-ST-SHORT-THROW-SHIFTER_p_386.html

The FRPP short throw shifter is available for less than $380 also, possibly even less than true blue racing parts, but that's just a quick reference.

If you're going to change the shifter side of the equation you might as well do it once and change the full assembly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Elizabeth,
I did the Steeda kit (shifter and trans arm bracket) on my car, 9/2014 build, the console has been modified by ford since that video so that there is no cutting of the console necessary to do the install.
Phil

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Called the dealer and they want 2.0 of labor, $250 to install the shifter. wow.
Was there a disclaimer telling you that it included 2 breaks and a lunch?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Use thin 1/8 flat head and normal flat head. If you don't want to scratch stuff wrap with eletric tap, maybe plastic dip would work. Normally if careful enough you won't scratch anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts