Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FF newbie here. . . . . .

So we bought a 2014 Ford Focus SE last night and will pick it up tonite, and we got stuck with the dealer "option" pinstripe. We are ok with a pinstripe, but it's gold on the silver metallic "ingot" and it just doesn't look right. We told them to remove it, but they said they don't like to because sometimes it could show some fading where the pinstripe is. We are in Phoenix and the sun can be pretty brutal. So.....

Trying to determine if I should remover the pinstripe and take chances with fading, or have them put on a different color.

Does anyone think I need to be concerned about difference in paint color due to fading since it is a newer car? Or any good opinions on what color pinstriping to replace the gold with?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I doubt there will be a noticeable difference for such a short time on the car. If it is, then you can decide what new color stripe to put on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you bought it. Your. Choice. If you dont like remove it. Seriously doubt. It has been on long enough to cause discoloration to the paint overall. My ficus badge came off after being in for over a year and you cannot tell. Granted its on the back end you cannot see where it was no matter how you look at it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Not a fan of pinstripes, but if you decide you want one once you remove the original, black would look good on silver.

If it were me, I'd let it sit in the sun for a while to heat up the adhesive, get my fingernail under one end of each section and pull it off.... and forget it was ever there.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
If you have noticeable fading after ~10 months of random sun abuse.... I think we'd all be having the car repainted in 3 years time.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Once you remove it as said above, clean off the left over adhesive & then take a da buffer to it w/ a light polish.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Try a heat gun low setting and don't stay in 1 area to long just enough warm the glue to peel it. Anything left over Goo-gone. Finish with coat of wax. A new car shouldn't have any paint discoloration.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If its 2014 your not going to have a fad issue this early on even if you are in AZ. That just a bunch of complete BS that they would not take it off for you. With the newer Clear coats being use on these cars.

Best thing to use to take off pin striping tape is a Eraser Wheel. Can get one from any auto body paint store, Some Napas, Autozones, O'Riellys and Advanced Auto Parts as long as they sell paint supplies. Go on any drill

·
Registered
426 Posts
do what pappy said, a hair drier will work also, then a very light polishing compound, i have peeled off many, the biggest prob is the glue , left behind' i do like small pin stripping, if its on perfect, if not it will drive me craizer;;;;;;;;;;

1 - 11 of 11 Posts