Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went in to get oil for my FIRST oil change in my new Focus RS RS2. Just past 1,000 miles. Went into the parts department at Lithia Ford in ROSEBURG and a amiable older guy asked to help me. He went in the back to get oil & filter so quick I didn't get a chance to ask him for a for a couple of extra quarts. When he brought out the oil and filter it was all in a little cardboard box. I apologized for asking him to go back and get two more quarts and as I did I pulled up one of the containers and I saw it was 5W-20 and not the spec'd 5W-50! That's not even close! I told him I thought it was supposed to be 50 and he just looked at me and said he didn't see anything in the computer so he just gave me that!

REALLY? He then questioned that it might be and so we went out and looked on the oil cap under the hood - 5W-50. Did he even apologize for trying top void my warranty? I don't know how that might have treated my turbocharger and the rest of the engine internals, but if something had happened, do you think the dealership would have said, "our fault?"

And people wonder why I change my own oil. What do they do in the shop? Add whatever is closest? Or whatever the parts guy gives them?

Besides the fact that I live about 75 miles away and if I had noticed before running it in my car, I would have had to wait (probably about 2 months) until the next time I go to Roseburg to exchange the 7 quarts of $9.40/qt oil!!!

I try to be nice, and was at the time. But the more I think about it, the sadder and more upset I get. Where do I take my car when I have to have it worked on? I obviously can't go here. The Service Department gets their parts from the Parts Department. [smackbum]

R4Racin at gmail

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Moved to the Focus RS section for wider readership.

Good check, gotta match what you get with the requirements.

NOT a surprise however, that type has become std. for ALL the usual Ford models so handed out/used for ALL in many cases.

Focus ST owners have the SAME THING happen to them, even if the difference is less, and it regularly happened when the cars were new & dealerships hadn't seen them before. Oil change to the wrong spec. oil was quite common and you can see matching warning threads in the ST section.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I've noticed that working with older technicians; things were a lot more broad back in their time, so the tendency to be uber-specific must come across as nebbish.

Only we enthusiasts give the Focus a fair chance (it's funny because some have joked "It's an RS, NOT a Focus..."). It seems even the new one gets the same discount within the general public!

You WILL be the expert on what goes into the car, but you still have to deal with those that fix what you can't and all those between them and you... you'll be fine as long as you keep an eye out while you find and establish a rapport with the same service people. Good luck; at least you're waiting from the seat of an RS!!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
My Wife takes her 2010 Escape to Goodyear. I read receipt when she got home it said 5-30w.Called them there like opps do you want it changed to 5-20?? A yes for free. Think they could read the valve cover spec.5-20

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Chuckle - it was the Ford parts guy who sent me to Wally World when I asked for the official oil there.

Cheaper than his cost price by the quart.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Best thing to do would be to just pay to sign up for amsoil preferred customer and order 5w-50 amsoil right to your door haha. And with the preferred customer discount it's like 8 bucks a quart, so cheaper than what the dealer gives you and about the best oil money can buy.

I think you might have to contact an amsoil dealer/retailer in your area to sign up under then for your preferred customer discount but I'm not 100% sure it's been a while since I signed up I can't remember for certain.

You are doing your own oil changes correct?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
In most dealerships, when a technician goes to the parts department to obtain oils and filters, they generally inform the parts counter person of what filter they need, what weight oil they need and what quantity of oil they need. This prevents the parts counter person from giving them the wrong oil or filter.

Just a reminder Amesoil does NOT meet Ford spec. And WILL void a major engine warranty.
This is not true at all.

Whether a lubricant meets the manufacturer's lubricant specification or not, the warranty can NOT legally be voided as long as the proper oil weight is used. To void your warranty, the manufacturer has to prove, with a high degree of certainty, that the oil used failed to sufficiently lubricate the bearings and contact surfaces in the engine. As that is nearly impossible to do, the manufacturers generally won't even bother.

So that you can get your Motorcraft filter with their oil. [histerical]
Motorcraft oil and filters are cheaper at Walmart.... I was paying $21 for 5qts of Motorcraft 5w20 and a Motorcraft filter at Walmart, vs $35 from the Ford dealership I used to work at.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Whether a lubricant meets the manufacturer's lubricant specification or not, the warranty can NOT legally be voided as long as the proper oil weight is used.
That's only partially true. It's not the weight, it's the "oil spec". Each vehicle has it's own oil spec. BMW has LL-01 while some Ford vehicles may require WSS-M2C937A. Even if both oils were the same viscosity, you could not interchange them. A warranty can only be voided if the WRONG oil spec was used. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it so that you can legally use any oil you wish as long as it meets the manufacturer's specs. If the manufacturer "requires" you to use a certain brand oil, then by federal law they are required to provide that oil to you free of charge, per Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts