Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to this site and i need help i have a 2004 ford focus ZX3 2.3 it wont start I overreved it it back fired then died i try to start it but nothing it just turns over but nothing any ideas

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Did you downshift and overrev it that way, or just ?If the engine did the rev voluntarily, or was pushed up well over the top rev limiter..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it was a pretty bad over rev i wasnt paying attention and missed 3rd gear racing an eclipse so yeah bad and the engine sounds a bit different i checked valves timing chain and gears they all look fine

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Do a compression check. Odds are, you bent all the valves. The Duratec engine is an interference engine, and its really easy to smack the valves into the piston.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Moved to Ford Focus Technical Chat, this is the correct forum for this discussion. Thanks for posting!

Huh, there is a rev-limiter on these engines, so you shouldn't be able to over-rev using the gas pedal. The only way I've seen these over-rev is from shifting into 2nd at 70+ mph.

What are your mods?
What is your mileage?
Do you have a compression tester?
Can you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key to ON?
Does the engine cranking sound faster than usual?
Since you have the valve cover off, did you crank the engine to TDC using a screwdriver to find TDC #1 and see if the cam position made sense?
Do you have the means to measure valve lash?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no mods just ported and polished intake.
milege about 85k.
dont have a comp tester but have access to one
i beleive fuel is pumping cause it smells strong
cranking sounds a bit faster but maybe normal
i havent tried to crank it over with the cover off yet
i might be able to measure valve lash but i might need someone to do it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts