Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2013 SE. I bought new, from the dealer. I've not had a problem yet. I actually really like the way the transmission performs. For the first 4 years of it's life I used it in NYC to make Field visits to customers. After I moved to PA, it started it's second life as my fun run around vehicle. While it only has 57k on it, 45k of those miles were everyday, inter-city, hard miles. The car has never given me any trouble.

I'm very hard on cars, for that reason I'm never surprised when I break them, but the Focus has been a great car. Cheap to own and maintain, with great price to value. If I had known it was going to be this sweet of a ride, I would have ordered fully load with every option possible. I hope Ford brings the Focus back to the US.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 2018 21000 miles no issues. Love the way it runs. I lease it and am contemplating buying it, but seeing all the issues here am holding back. Never had to take in for service, extremely reliable.
Got it for a great price and if I buy it, would be like buying a nice inexpensive used car.
Since it's still under warranty you can still get the Ford extended warranty, they offer up to 8 yr 100K. Go to Flood Ford's site and get a quote and factor that into your calculations. If you take the quote to your dealer, they will probably beat it; mine did....

https://www.floodfordesp.com

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks, I just went and checked out, https://www.floodfordesp.com. They only offer back to 2014.
Yes, because the plans at Flood are plans for new cars, and it still has to be within the factory warranty expiring or within 6 months after to purchase.

I ran a quick quote on yours (in my state; YMMV) at the first place that showed up on Google that sells the used plan and with a $200 deductible for 48k 48 months, the Ford Protect ESP is $1510 (lists at $2610).

https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2014 Focus had the clutch assembly changed and software updated at 25,000 km, it has not given any problem since then. Like a lot of things it depends on the luck of the draw, some are lemons and others hold together quite well.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My transmission was garbage for ~7 years. Had clutch pack replaced early on but I still hated the random jerks I'd get while driving and also the general uncertainty of acceleration. About a year ago I brought my car in for a few recall fixes and they reprogrammed the transmission again. Seems like the latest software actually fixes my gripes pretty completely. Am I pissed that Ford took so long to fix this? Yes. Will I be buying another Ford? No. This company has lost my trust. I'm getting a Honda Insight Touring in about a month.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here in NYC, most of the fleet for the NYPD traffic division is composed of late model Ford Fiestas. All the ones I've seen are automatics, and I assume DPS6. I've asked several of the cops what sort of issues they've had with the cars, especially with the transmissions/clutches. To a man and woman they answered--'none.' Given that all these cars know is stop-and-go traffic, how can this be?

·
Registered
830 Posts
My transmission was garbage for ~7 years. Had clutch pack replaced early on but I still hated the random jerks I'd get while driving and also the general uncertainty of acceleration. About a year ago I brought my car in for a few recall fixes and they reprogrammed the transmission again. Seems like the latest software actually fixes my gripes pretty completely. Am I pissed that Ford took so long to fix this? Yes. Will I be buying another Ford? No. This company has lost my trust. I'm getting a Honda Insight Touring in about a month.

I feel the same way about my DCT. I dropped it off at Ford, last Monday, to take advantage of the recent extended coverage on the clutch/trans. & I’m supposed to get it back tomorrow, so I’m curious to see how it drives vs. how it was before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I really think it's a quality control problem, as well as a training issue at Ford or for whomever is is doing the build and assembly.

If this was a standard hydraulic automatic transmission, Ford would never attempt to let just anyone rebuild it. They would outsource it to a group who specializes in rebuilding them and what the dealership would get is a complete rebuilt unit to stick into the vehicle.

The idea that with the right jig and tools the guy who changed your brakes is going to rebuild this DCT transmission right the first dozen times is going to end with a poor result.

Under a proper quality control process, each failed rebuild would get inspected to determine what was the cause, assembly or part quality issues.

Ford has compound the problem by not addressing and correcting the problem at the Dealer level.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I really think it's a quality control problem, as well as a training issue at Ford or for whomever is is doing the build and assembly.

If this was a standard hydraulic automatic transmission, Ford would never attempt to let just anyone rebuild it. They would outsource it to a group who specializes in rebuilding them and what the dealership would get is a complete rebuilt unit to stick into the vehicle.

The idea that with the right jig and tools the guy who changed your brakes is going to rebuild this DCT transmission right the first dozen times is going to end with a poor result.

Under a proper quality control process, each failed rebuild would get inspected to determine what was the cause, assembly or part quality issues.

Ford has compound the problem by not addressing and correcting the problem at the Dealer level.

Most of the DCT failures are seals, clutch, or TCM. None of those require a rebuild; just routine R/R. As for those transmissions that have a catastrophic failure and requires a rebuild, the Ford trans techs are well qualified to do a quality repair. My point is that this is not a Dealer issue it is faulty parts and/or improper programming of TCM. I am holding on to mine in hopes of the pending law suit (not class action) will go in our favor. We have 86k miles with 3 clutch replacements and 1 TCM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with you, regarding the faulty parts and/or improper programming of TCM, as well as hopes that the pending law suit (not class action) will go in our favor. Ultimately, it's Ford's fault for not identifying and correcting the quality issues be it parts, labor or programming. We shouldn't have to be the ones dealing with their short fall to respond to the issue. What they did instead was defend their actions and deny that the issue existed, that's unacceptable! We all know mistakes were made, but those mistakes were not and are not, that of us, the consumer. The product as a whole, is represented by Ford, they must be held to account. They made the simple need to have it fixed right the first time, into the train wreck we have today.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts