Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned three Foci over the years, there have been five in the family, and I have had two with the DCT. I had a 2014 and now have a 2018, bought the 14 when somebody totalled my 07, it had about 34k on it when I got it, had about 65k when I traded it on the 18, it never had to go back to the dealer except for recalls, only one of which involved the trans (re-flash) it was still running fine when traded, I only got rid of it because Ford had just announced there would be no new Foci after 2018, it was now or never if I wanted a new one. so far, this one has been perfect, not counting the one flat tire, lol. My question is am I alone in this or are there others who have had trouble free DCTs?

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 14 has been problem free minus a transmission update at the dealer at 10k miles. Now has 85k on it and still going strong.
I traded my other 2013 focus hatch in with 90k miles on it due to the transmission loosing half the gears at random and our local Ford dealer giving a two month lead time to inspect my vehicle to " verify my concerns"

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Got a 13 with about 104k on the clock with the DCT. I bought it used at 13K. I think clutch packs were done around 16k. After that, it did have an error code once like the trans couldn't talk to the computer, this was 3 years or so ago. Went away on it's own and hasn't been back.

Had a TCM at 97K but seems ok since. Got rear ended by a Silverado 3500 HD. Thankfully car wasn't totaled, so it's in the shop now getting work done on it. Should be able to get it back around the end of next week. They had to order looks like new trunk lid, tailight, bumper cover, etc. I think it came within $700 of being totaled, but payment on a newer vehicle plus paying on that car would have been over 200 a month more. So I'm glad it's getting fixed and can get back on the road.

Incidentally, I drove the car to the shop and the trans was acting fine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have owned three Foci over the years, there have been five in the family, and I have had two with the DCT. I had a 2014 and now have a 2018, bought the 14 when somebody totalled my 07, it had about 34k on it when I got it, had about 65k when I traded it on the 18, it never had to go back to the dealer except for recalls, only one of which involved the trans (re-flash) it was still running fine when traded, I only got rid of it because Ford had just announced there would be no new Foci after 2018, it was now or never if I wanted a new one. so far, this one has been perfect, not counting the one flat tire, lol. My question is am I alone in this or are there others who have had trouble free DCTs?
And it was like a smooth slush box in its' operation? I now have a smooth as silk DCT regardless of passenger load or outside temp....but that was a rebuild at 55K. Interesting stuff if yours ran sweet for all that time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
And it was like a smooth slush box in its' operation? I now have a smooth as silk DCT regardless of passenger load or outside temp....but that was a rebuild at 55K. Interesting stuff if yours ran sweet for all that time.
Not as bad as the slushbox in the escape etc

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
For one, your 2007 is irrelevant. As for the 2014 you bought used, I assume the Carfax did not show any transmission work? I don't know what that looks like in the vehicle history. Regardless, 65k isn't that much, but certainly more mileage than a lot of folks get. Your 2018 is irrelevant, also, as you almost certainly haven't put enough mileage on it for any issues - if you end up having any - to pop up.

All that said, sure, there are plenty of folks who have the DPS6 and have zero trouble with it...but of course very few people come onto the internet to say their car is working exactly as expected, as it's supposed to. It's the fact that there are so many folks who do have trouble - a sizeable percentage - that makes it easy (and fair) to label the DPS6 a garbage transmission.

There are several distinct facets of the DPS6 issue that determine the likelihood of issues, and the severity of those issue. The design is crap, end of story. If nothing else (and I'm sure there's more), the clutch plates are undersized and almost certainly made of material that is too soft for the way it's used. The software is the other problem; it's a one-size-fits-all solution that does not, in fact, fit all. There's a ton of variation (from a mechanical standpoint) in the way individual DCTs (not just the DPS6) operate, and Ford screwed up by trying to make them act like something they're not (slushboxes).

Now, if you happen to get a software/hardware combination that works well together and you have a commute and/or driving style that lends itself to minimal (or at least intentional) shifting, you're far more likely to get more miles out of the clutches. They might even last as long as a transmission should (certainly over 100k, but realistically a transmission design is trash if it doesn't last 150k under "normal" circumstances).

The Focus - and even the DPS6, if I'm being honest - is a lot of fun, IMO. I like it when it's working. It's just that for a lot of people, it simply lays a huge fart over and over and over again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 2018 21000 miles no issues. Love the way it runs. I lease it and am contemplating buying it, but seeing all the issues here am holding back. Never had to take in for service, extremely reliable.
Got it for a great price and if I buy it, would be like buying a nice inexpensive used car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an early build 2012 focus with 142k miles. Only thing I’ve had go wrong was my TCM failed but as far as the transmission, it jerks and shutters but still rolling along every day. & still on factory original clutches

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's the fact that there are so many folks who do have trouble - a sizeable percentage - that makes it easy (and fair) to label the DPS6 a garbage transmission.
Do we know what that percentage is? Have there been surveys/studies of any kind?

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have a 2018 21000 miles no issues. Love the way it runs. I lease it and am contemplating buying it, but seeing all the issues here am holding back. Never had to take in for service, extremely reliable.
Got it for a great price and if I buy it, would be like buying a nice inexpensive used car.

So you’re saying the 2018 doesn’t shudder on acceleration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
830 Posts

Your 2014 didn’t shudder on acceleration? My 2013 runs ‘fine ‘ also, but that doesn’t mean it’s not garbage, because it is.

For the rest of us, these DCT transmissions are slush boxes & annoying to drive. Your car must of been built separately from all other 2012-2016s, that’s all I can think of.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've got a 2017 SEL that I bought new from the dealer (was looking for something that got good MPG at the time). I dont put many miles on mine as it has just over 18k now, I get stuck in stop and go traffic maybe 4 to 5 times a month so I am sure that helps.

I haven't had any problems with the DCT in that I have not had to bring it into the Dealer for repairs. I do have an issue where on hard acceleration around 5 to 6k on the tach it feels like the clutch is slipping a little. I've driven manuals growing up on the farm and if I was driving a real manual transmission I would think my clutch was nearing its end. I do the clutch "scrubbing" every so often and that seems to help but otherwise I like the car for what I paid and the MPG i get.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I don’t have the energy for these types of threads. I’ve had this car for almost 6yrs & it has shuddered & sputtered on acceleration since day one. I also have a clunking & grinding noise at slow speeds. And then we have a guy with the same car who’s never had shudder. Go figure?

I guess I bought a Lemon? Lucky me.... What an idiot I am for not contacting a Lemon Law lawyer in ‘14.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Do we know what that percentage is? Have there been surveys/studies of any kind?
Not that I'm aware of, but if it's enough for Ford to increase the warranty on them to 7y/100k outside of an NHTSA investigation finding or successful class action, I don't think it's unreasonable to consider it "sizeable".

It would not surprise me at all to discover that at least 50% of all Fiestas and Focuses with the DPS6 have experienced operation outside the 250RPM limit.

That doesn't mean they've talked to Ford about it, though. I have 3 extended family members with the DPS6 - two Fiestas and one Focus - and all 3 are currently experiencing obvious shudder. The one with the Focus has had it in twice but has been driving it as bad as it is because they're "just done with it" and are planning on trading it in on a non-Ford (and without even getting a new clutch pack beforehand, boggles the mind). Both of those with Fiestas haven't even seen Ford about it because they "thought it was supposed to feel like that".

That's anecdotal, of course, but I'm also well convinced that "I'm just done with this car" and "I didn't realize anything was wrong" are extremely common, and would contribute to a lack of data since their problems aren't being addressed or recorded. None of the three are the kind of people to Google their car, or actively seek out the Focus subreddit or a site like Focus Fanatics.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I’ve had this car for almost 6yrs & it has shuddered & sputtered on acceleration since day one. I also have a clunking & grinding noise at slow speeds. And then we have a guy with the same car who’s never had shudder. Go figure?
Well, that's my question: how DO we explain that? Let's say the percentage is what is suggested above, 50% are problem-free and 50% are faulty. Why?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts