Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have read quotes from Ford engineers that the DCT transmission is "sealed" and will not require maintenance (fluid changes) for 10 years or 150,000 miles which they call the "life expectancy of the vehicle".

Does anyone plan not to change the gear oil in the tranny based on this statement?

I thought I remember seeing in the manual that for what Ford calls Severe Service to change the fluid every 30,000 miles. Is stop and go driving considered severe service anymore?

From what I understand there is no transmission filter on these transmissions. True?

Any thoughts on transmission maintenance?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have not investigated this myself but the Powershift Trans being basically a computer shifted manual gearbox it would be like servicing a regular manual trans. There is no filter because there is no valvebody or fluid pump as part of the assembly.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There is no transmission fluid in the DCT Transmission. Do not let anyone put transmission fluid in it. If they tell you they did they are lying or they have damaged your transmission.

The DCT Transmission is basically a manual transmission with computer controlled shifting. I am sure it has some type of lubrication for the gears, but that is semi-permeate. There is no lubrication for the clutch plates.

·
Registered
232 Posts
There is no transmission fluid in the DCT Transmission. Do not let anyone put transmission fluid in it. If they tell you they did they are lying or they have damaged your transmission.

The DCT Transmission is basically a manual transmission with computer controlled shifting. I am sure it has some type of lubrication for the gears, but that is semi-permeate. There is no lubrication for the clutch plates.
WRONG. The clutch is dry but the trans holds 1.9l of gear oil which should be changed every 30,000 miles in severe service.

I plan to change mine at 45,000 as cheap insurance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know if there is a drain plug to drain the gear oil?

From what I've read there is a fill hole that you fill to the bottom of the hole for the correct level.....

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
As per Owner's Manual (page 363):
TRANSMISSION FLUID
Checking 6-speed automatic transmission fluid
The automatic transmission does not have a transmission fluid dipstick.
Refer to your scheduled maintenance information for scheduled
intervals for fluid checks and changes. Your transmission does not
consume fluid. However, the fluid level should be checked if the
transmission is not working properly, (i.e., if the transmission slips or
shifts slowly) or if you notice some sign of fluid leakage.
Transmission fluid should be checked by an authorized dealer. If
required, fluid should be added by an authorized dealer.
I learnt the hard way that "if it is not necessary, don't change it" motto is the best when it comes to cars.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a drain plug to drain the gear oil?

From what I've read there is a fill hole that you fill to the bottom of the hole for the correct level.....
There is a drain plug.
The correct oil is Motorcraft XT-11-QDC.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Some people do change oil on manual gearboxes.
Usually at the same time as when side shafts need to be removed for CV Joint Replacement. (because it spills out, and it's good to change it then)
If the box becomes notchy or difficult to engage gears sometimes changing the oil to better quality fully synthetic helps. The oil is usually SAE 75W-90 but you need to check with the service dept for the correct grade for the powershift.
This Powershift transmission (the wet clutch version) was actually used in the 2008 Focus 2.0 Diesel in the UK (right hand drive market). There might be some info in the UK Forums on this box. I believe that it wasn't too popular as the UK Drivers like manual and the car was expensive.
New top quality gear oil can improve performance in a manual box.

·
Registered
416 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
I was just told by the dealer that they want $65 for labor only. This seems pretty high, considering it is less labor than an oil change. Thoughts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts