Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think that (at least part of) the argument is that the Focus is the opposite: a car set up for premium that will accept regular. I can buy that, as no one purchasing a Focus would expect to need premium fuel.

Still, the rest of your explanation makes sense as it pertains to the DPS6, and just goes to back up the idea that using premium doesn't magically fix the problems inherent to the DPS6.

I'm sure Ford would love to come back to consumers and say they just need to put in high-octane fuel.
But you would think that all of us running 87 octane would be experiencing knocking due to the engine being poorly tuned for that but that is not the case. For those of us not experiencing knocking, going to a higher octane without a tune optimized for this fuel, simply running premium would lead to marginal gains at best. These vehicles aren't designed to detect the octane and adjust the timing accordingly. Here's a pretty good summary on the octane vs timing subject.

It has been said that the DCT problem has already cost Ford $3 billion so after all this time and money spent trying to address it for the least amount of money, if there was an inexpensive solution such as changing which fuel you put in it (which anyone with this problem would be happy to do if it did indeed fix transmissions), they would have come out with that and we wouldn't be where we are today with all of this.

·
Registered
350 Posts
But you would think that all of us running 87 octane would be experiencing knocking due to the engine being poorly tuned for that but that is not the case. For those of us not experiencing knocking, going to a higher octane without a tune optimized for this fuel, simply running premium would lead to marginal gains at best. These vehicles aren't designed to detect the octane and adjust the timing accordingly.

It has been said that the DCT problem has already cost Ford $3 billion so after all this time and money spent trying to address it for the least amount of money, if there was an inexpensive solution such as changing which fuel you put in it (which anyone with this problem would be happy to do if it did indeed fix transmissions), they would have come out with that and we wouldn't be where we are today with all of this.
I think it was Tom who said the the knock detection on the 2.0 was actually pretty good, which is why it runs "fine" on 87.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We need to put this octane thing to bed. As said earlier, do research on 87 octane fuel rating and Ford Powertrain Development Team Durability testing. The PCM strategy and calibration includes the use of 87 octane fuel in all driving conditions. Nobody on this thread, including MYSELF, is informed or equipped to dispute this fact specific to Ford approving 87 octane fuel. Separately, higher octane rating will in no way fix issues with the tranny. Let’s move on now

And just to get ahead of the reply’s, I am not disputing that the use of higher octane MAY improve engine performance in SOME scenarios. Cheers!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had shudder between 1 and 2. I had noise like marbles coasting to a stop. If traveling with traffic and traffic slows then speeds back up, I was scared to death. Was afraid to let anyone else in my family use the car for all those reasons.
I had turning a corner shirting to 2 noise and feeling as if transmission was going to break.
As far as I know, Fords ecm adapt and adjust for octane. That's on edge and escape forums too.
After 4 tanks of 93, I have none of those symptoms. Engine and trans are extremely quiet. Shifts hold longer, and no longer try to hunt for gears.
That's why I think its more than a trans issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had shudder between 1 and 2. I had noise like marbles coasting to a stop. If traveling with traffic and traffic slows then speeds back up, I was scared to death. Was afraid to let anyone else in my family use the car for all those reasons.
I had turning a corner shirting to 2 noise and feeling as if transmission was going to break.
As far as I know, Fords ecm adapt and adjust for octane. That's on edge and escape forums too.
After 4 tanks of 93, I have none of those symptoms. Engine and trans are extremely quiet. Shifts hold longer, and no longer try to hunt for gears.
That's why I think its more than a trans issue.

Again, using higher octane alone does not and will not fix the tranny issue. You can twist this all you want in your mind but this is not a fix. With all due respect, stop pushing this stuff as it’s how bad rumors start and is not a good look. BTW, that pcm/ecm strategy is nothing new and has been widely used since the late 90’s by most auto makers. Please just stop it’s embarrassing.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Again, using higher octane alone does not and will not fix the tranny issue. You can twist this all you want in your mind but this is not a fix. With all due respect, stop pushing this stuff as it’s how bad rumors start and is not a good look. BTW, that pcm/ecm strategy is nothing new and has been widely used since the late 90’s by most auto makers. Please just stop it’s embarrassing.

No one said it would? What two members on here have said is that the higher octane seemed improve the drivability of the car. They aren’t ‘pushing’ anything nor were they starting any rumors. They were simply sharing their experiences & opinions with running higher octane fuel & how their DCT’s seemed to react better to the 93. It’s not embarrassing whatsoever. I’ll tell you what is embarrassing though, it’s the Ford engineers that allowed this to go on after 2012. This should’ve been resolved in 2012 & maybe the Focus & would still be selling well in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
881 Posts
No one said it would? What two members on here have said is that the higher octane seemed improve the drivability of the car. They aren’t ‘pushing’ anything nor were they starting any rumors. They were simply sharing their experiences & opinions with running higher octane fuel & how their DCT’s seemed to react better to the 93. It’s not embarrassing whatsoever. I’ll tell you what is embarrassing though, it’s the Ford engineers that allowed this to go on after 2012. This should’ve been resolved in 2012 & maybe the Focus & would still be selling well in the US.

I agree nothing wrong with sharing thoughts.
I don't believe it was an engineering decision though, it was a money decision.
Their own engineers told them nope not going to work.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts

Uh someone needs to slowly re-read the thread.

I am simply being responsible to those reading and maybe believing bad information on a false fix.

I have been wrenching and tuning cars for more than 30 years; it’s tiring when people push bad info or as you try to soften it as ‘sharing an experience’. If you don’t appreciate the help in clarification then you are welcome to ignore me. Cheers!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am simply being responsible to those reading and maybe believing bad information on a false fix.
This. Heck, he could believe knocking the hood 3 times and dancing a jig around the car will fix the DPS6...it doesn't hurt anything, but it is also untrue.

I truly believe it's important to point out misconceptions. Not so I can be "right" or to tear them down in some way, but because someone who doesn't know any better might think the person spreading blatantly false information knows more than they do.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Kind of funny how some people that don’t even own a 2012-2016 Focus DCT are commenting on how 91-93 octane won’t improve shudder & acceleration. (Key word: Improve not Fix) Yet, we have multiple Focus DCT owners on here that actually drive the car daily telling us their experiences with using 93 vs. 87. As someone that has owned a DCT Focus since 2014, I’ll be happy to use premium gas for a few tanks & see if it in fact does improve the drivability of the car.

This has nothing to do with ‘oh there’s a fix’ or ‘premium fuel will solve everything.’ It’s just a few DCT owners that have said the car performs, drives & accelerates better 93 vs. 87. For all of us that actually own a DCT it’s just something to think about, that’s all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wonder which specific users who commented don’t have the DCT, too. I have 80k miles on the DCT, recently got our third replacement clutch (forth clutch if you include the factory installed) and use Chevron Premium gas (doesn’t matter but noted). That’s an average of 20k per clutch with a few thousand of those miles with it worn and shuddering

·
__________/\__
2,157 Posts
From the article:

"Ford’s position has consistently been that even if the cars slip out of gear while people are driving and they must coast to the side of the road, the cars don’t pose a safety risk because power steering, brakes, passenger restraints and other functions continue to work."

I had a DCT Focus before I bought my manual. The DCT disengaged when I was in the middle of an underpass with a blind U-Turn. Cars fly under that freeway. I was a sitting duck to get rear ended and there is no way to "coast to the side of the road" I'm pretty sure there was a brown stain on the driver's seat when I got out of the car.

I got rid of that car and bought a manual tranny Focus. Great car.

Then the snake oil salesmen starting selling magic remedies to fix the inherently flawed transmission. IMHO, that was insult to injury.

·
Registered
15,741 Posts
'Wonder which specific users who commented don’t have the DCT, too.'

Ones that apparently are smarter than some of the ones that do own them. I gauged that trans as junk after reading on it for 5 minutes. You don't have to own the fire you put your hand in to know it burns. Some think they do though.

WE do not have the cars because we did not buy the cars for a REASON. 'Improve not fix' is the funniest thing I've heard all week, but it IS only Sunday.

·
Registered
160 Posts
'Wonder which specific users who commented don’t have the DCT, too.'

Ones that apparently are smarter than some of the ones that do own them. I gauged that trans as junk after reading on it for 5 minutes. You don't have to own the fire you put your hand in to know it burns. Some think they do though.

WE do not have the cars because we did not buy the cars for a REASON. 'Improve not fix' is the funniest thing I've heard all week, but it IS only Sunday.
I think it's mainly because almost no one knows how to use three pedals, so any cars with two pedals will do (/sarcasm)

Joking aside, people need to READ about what they're buying. It's spending like $20k on a brand new car, you might as well want to find out what may be questionable or what may not work. Do the dang research before plonking in that cash.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I gauged that trans as junk after reading on it for 5 minutes.
I think it's mainly because almost no one knows how to use three pedals, so any cars with two pedals will do (/sarcasm)

Joking aside, people need to READ about what they're buying. It's spending like $20k on a brand new car, you might as well want to find out what may be questionable or what may not work. Do the dang research before plonking in that cash.
Eh, I take issue with this characterization. I'd been driving for almost 18 years when I bought the Focus, and it was my first non-manual.

I know the difference between a hydraulic auto, wet DCT, and dry DCT. I test-drove the car before buying it and while I could tell it wasn't a slushbox, I thought it was spirited and smooth. I knew what the DPS6 was when I bought the car. I fully admit that I bought the Focus because it had a dry DCT.

I'm a smart guy and I did my research...but I'm neither a mechanic, nor an engineer. Knowing what a dry DCT is - as well as the advantages and disadvantages that come with them - is not the same as being confident in saying it was impossible for Ford to have engineered one that maximized the advantages and minimized the disadvantages. I genuinely believed they had made a good product. I was obviously wrong, but hindsight is 20/20.

The short of it is that not all of us can know everything. Good for y'all for "knowing" the DPS6 was going to be a dumpster fire since the beginning. But acting like everyone else in the world should have known it, too, is somewhat condescending.

·
__________/\__
2,157 Posts
The short of it is that not all of us can know everything. Good for y'all for "knowing" the DPS6 was going to be a dumpster fire since the beginning. But acting like everyone else in the world should have known it, too, is somewhat condescending.
I do agree with that especially in light of the information now coming out that Ford knew about problems, had no fix for them and failed to disclose that to the buying public. And they kept on installing that same DPS6 in subsequent year models.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Eh, I take issue with this characterization. I'd been driving for almost 18 years when I bought the Focus, and it was my first non-manual.

I know the difference between a hydraulic auto, wet DCT, and dry DCT. I test-drove the car before buying it and while I could tell it wasn't a slushbox, I thought it was spirited and smooth. I knew what the DPS6 was when I bought the car. I fully admit that I bought the Focus because it had a dry DCT.

I'm a smart guy and I did my research...but I'm neither a mechanic, nor an engineer. Knowing what a dry DCT is - as well as the advantages and disadvantages that come with them - is not the same as being confident in saying it was impossible for Ford to have engineered one that maximized the advantages and minimized the disadvantages. I genuinely believed they had made a good product. I was obviously wrong, but hindsight is 20/20.

Hindsight is definitely 20/20, and I was a bit harsh with what I wrote. Yet, in light of how manufacturers are pushing products out before they are "ready", it is a better idea to wait and see what initial reactions to this new stuff is, before paying with your hard earned cash. We do the same thing from software to mobile phones to houses etc. We should put in our "due diligence" before purchasing a car as well.

I do agree with that especially in light of the information now coming out that Ford knew about problems, had no fix for them and failed to disclose that to the buying public. And they kept on installing that same DPS6 in subsequent year models.
My best guess would be sunk cost? Ford looked at how well the Focus and Fiesta were selling compared to the Fusion or even the F-150 and decided that it would not be beneficial to fix anything. Better to extend the warranty to 100,000 miles / 7 years, hedging on the fact that most people would have traded their defective cars in within that period of time.

·
Registered
499 Posts
It's hard to never be the guinea pig on anything as automakers are always making "improvements" that always look good on paper and sometimes they work out and other times they don't. One example is the new dual-injected engines that are designed to fix the issues with carbon build-up in the intake. If they get this right, this solves a real problem that can affect the longevity of these engines. It adds a level of complexity both in terms of engine hardware and engine management software either of which could go wrong. They often don't make such improvements optional so if you buy that model year, you're getting it and issues don't always show up early on so you might wait a year or two and still get burned.

The real issues that plague the DCT are pretty complex. If they were simple to understand and/or control, Ford would have either never adopted it knowing it was unworkable or they would have gotten it right in the first place. It seems like they got too invested in it and moved ahead with it when it was still not ready for production. I think most agree that conceptually it is good and that's why many of us bought these DCT equipped vehicles. I bought mine used and in hindsight, I would have just waited until I could find a MT in good shape. Those vehicles are pretty solid.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts