Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
More direct link to that article:

https://www.freep.com/in-depth/money/cars/ford/2019/07/11/ford-focus-fiesta-transmission-defect/1671198001/

I recognized the article because this story came up in my Reddit feed yesterday. Great stuff :)

Link to the Reddit post, I love reading the comments: https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/cbvz66/ford_knew_focus_fiesta_models_had_flawed/

Also, check out this image posted to Reddit, similar DCT issue post:

https://m.imgur.com/nOkqDXj?r

I tried to post the Reddit link... but there's a bad word in the url lol... nvr mind, the link below does resolve

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/7pgnl2/ford_******g_focus/

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hello Ford, in case you haven’t heard, this latest discovery likely could saddle you with “Punitive Damages”... I know, I know Ford it’s not something that boards of directors like to hear, those dirty little words “ punitive damages”.

Punitive damages are when a jury decides that a company’s behavior is so egregious, so reprehensible that it deserves to be punished.

Here is a great little tidbit also… most insurance companies exclude “punitive damages” soooo Ford, punitive damage settlements will come right off of your bottom line of profit.

And just in case it’s not clear, Ford, the overall message behind the award of punitive damages is “go eff yourself, Ford”.

Doggone it, I almost forgot to mention— if you are a ford stockholder, and your investment is sinking faster than the value of a Ford focus, consider bringing lawsuit against the Board of Directors of Ford. Also good news their directors Liability coverage also in most situations excludes payment of punitive damages, so out of your very deep pockets Mr Director, you will be paying. Have a good day.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I’m still waiting too see what happens with the Ford Class action settlement in CA. that was filed a few years ago. I just watched a YouTube video with Steve Lehto & he said that we might have a conclusion by Dec. ‘19.

I drive my ‘13 DCT everyday & it still blows my mind on how terrible the car accelerates & drives at slow speeds. Great looking Hatchback & good on gas, but a terrible driving car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I'm surprised this isn't more of a busy topic on this forum almost like people are in denial of this which is a huge black eye for Ford and a slap in the face of people that they talked into buying the DCT. I guess hope of a long term fix is gone.

I knew in 2012 there were issues and the two DCTs I test drove just didn't seem right and ended up with the only 5 speed on the lot in the color and options we wanted. Been a great car since.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I know this has been asked before but:

Does a 2017-2018 Focus DCT have the exact same setup as a 2012-2016?

I keep hearing that improvements were made on the 2017-2018s & the shift & drive better. Is this correct? I was looking online & you can find a 2017-2018 Titanium Hatchback with under 10k miles for around 16k, which is a lot of car, for the money, however the DCT is obviously what holds me back. As much as I love the ST, I’m not sure I want to DD a manual in traffic.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I think there were significant improvements to the DCT after 2012 but still lagged in performance and still a lot of issues that people just tolerated during their ownership.

I,personally,wouldn't buy a DCT period esepcaiily when it was obviously a rushed design and engineers confirming this why not be smart and look at another brand?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Anybody who would buy a DCT equipped Focus than knows this information is a moron a glutton for punishment stupid buffoon. Move on other brands exist besides ford.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
830 Posts
Anybody who would buy a DCT equipped Focus than knows this information is a moron a glutton for punishment stupid buffoon. Move on other brands exist besides ford.

You definitely have a way with words, however I do agree that the information is there to avoid a DCT Focus. It’s a shame really, because it’s such a sporty looking car. Of course the Fiesta ST & Focus ST are always fun options & reliable cars & I love how both of those look. A few brand new left over ‘18 Fiesta ST’s for sale online at 16k, which is an amazing car for the money.

·
Registered
961 Posts
You definitely have a way with words, however I do agree that the information is there to avoid a DCT Focus. It’s a shame really, because it’s such a sporty looking car. Of course the Fiesta ST & Focus ST are always fun options & reliable cars & I love how both of those look. A few brand new left over ‘18 Fiesta ST’s for sale online at 16k, which is an amazing car for the money.

You focus way too much on appearances. It's like a Woman buying a shity pair of shoes just because they like the way they look.

·
Registered
16,008 Posts
Ford doing the same thing that Nissan does on their massive CVT trans issues..............nothing. They jaw it to death with the words 'it's been fixed' but if you read between the lines on the publication there they admit they cannot fix it at all.

Look at the short engineering complaint lines about how the clutch friction coefficients kept changing all over the map, what a dry clutch does and nothing you can do about it. The running temperatures of a dry type clutch change so much that no computer on earth can keep up with the proper engagements or timings needed there.

Of special interest there is how Ford simply announces that going into neutral on a freeway or stalling is not dangerous at all. The very same Ford who set legal precedent years before by replacing fuel pumps on Focus cars due to 'stalling out' on the freeways.

The lawyers will tear them a new one over that little bit. Where we go in a new 'truth is not truth' universe.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of special interest there is how Ford simply announces that going into neutral on a freeway or stalling is not dangerous at all.
Right. I don’t know where the hell THEY drive. Must be out in the country. I can’t believe nobody has been seriously injured or killed as a result.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Does a 2017-2018 Focus DCT have the exact same setup as a 2012-2016?
In terms of the transmission, there is no difference whatsoever in an MK3 with the updated clutch pack/assembly and an MK3.5 (which came with the updated parts out of the factory).
I keep hearing that improvements were made on the 2017-2018s & the shift & drive better. Is this correct?
It is not correct. Here's a breakdown of what changed (what Ford "fixed"), and an explanation of why those fixes aren't enough: https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/11343959-post3.html
As much as I love the ST, I’m not sure I want to DD a manual in traffic
This Focus is the first non-manual I've ever owned. I do a solid 70/30 city/highway and the only thing that made me switch to an auto was having kids and deciding an auto would be one fewer thing to have to think about (and my wife doesn't like driving a manual, so having an auto meant she could drive my car when she needed to).

I don't live in LA or anything, but I live in a pretty hilly place and even in downtown traffic, I didn't mind driving stick. I'd certainly have kept my Mazda3 hatch had I known what a cluster the Focus was going to be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The trans just went out on my 2012 Focus. It was kicking out the error code P0606. I took it to my local Ford dealership. They just called me today to tell me it is gonna cost me over $5,000 to replace the transmission. I am NOT happy.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use to frequent this forum quite often. Im up to 9 clutch packs/ 2 tcms/every tsb theyve pushed/5 or 6 reflashes. After all that, I would still get the "you're probably driving it wrong". It is nice to be vindicated. These transmissons were inherently broken. No matter how I drove it...it was broken by design. Also sucks to have to deal with this crap though. I really hope this case takes a good chunk out of them and teaches them a lesson. Even if it's only a short lesson learned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The trans just went out on my 2012 Focus. It was kicking out the error code P0606. I took it to my local Ford dealership. They just called me today to tell me it is gonna cost me over $5,000 to replace the transmission. I am NOT happy.
Not sure I'd trust the dealer's diagnosis, especially given a P0606 is a fairly generic code. Is the battery fresh? Have you tried removing the paint from the body ground connection? The original battery in our '12 caused the car to throw lots of trans codes and a message in the display, as well as drivability issues. Put a fresh battery in months ago and no further issues.

·
Registered
350 Posts
$5k is ridiculous. I'd take it to another stealership and see what they say.

·
Registered
830 Posts

Sorry to hear that man, I’d throw up if I had to pay them 5k. How many miles are on it?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Personally I'd take the hit and sell any DCT-equipped Focus and settle for a nice used import compact, rather then deal with the innumerable clutch pack fixes. As a forum user did say, a sales rep told him/her to "fix it and sell it" after all

1 - 20 of 110 Posts