Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Focus Titanium died on me in the middle of traffic on Friday. Coasted to side of road. Electrics in dash look ok, but new light (traction control?) is lit and nothing happens when you press the start button. The car was towed to Dealer over the weekend. Service Advisor called at 4 pm today and said they didn't have time to look at my car today, but it sounds like the TCM problem which would be covered under the Warranty Extension, and they would confirm this tomorrow.

But he also told me the part they anticipate they will need is on nationwide back order for up to one to two weeks. I am a single car household so I asked if they could give me a loaner or was Ford covering the rental. He said no and no. So I'm going to have to rent a car for the one or two weeks.

Has anyone run into this. Is Ford covering loss of use/rental since its a warranty issue? My car has 48,000 miles.

Thanks in advance,
Rich

·
Registered
137 Posts
Make enough noise and they'll usually find a way to provide a loaner. Might want to check with the ford rep here to see if they can help get you one. I wouldn't leave until I had a loaner provided at no cost, unfortunately for me the TCM was in stock back then & I only had the rental for 4 hours. Felt like an as* when I went to pick up my car after arguing for the rental. But lesson was to just make some noise & KNOW what you're talking about. Every dealer knows about the TCM & DCT issues, they don't seem to like it any more than we do as owners

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
14M02 warranty extension (to 10/150k for cars out of stock power train warranty warranty) only covers 1 day rental for replacement officially.

What you can talk Ford into covering may be different as mentioned already.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: My Service Adviser called and confirmed it is the TCM problem and is covered under the warranty extension, but says Ford still has a nationwide back-order on the part. He said he noted it as an emergency, but says likely 7-10 days to get it. I again asked for any kind of a loaner, new, used, etc, but he says they have none. Gave me 800 number for Ford Customer Care.

Since the problem clearly looks like a Ford-Corporate lack of spare parts issue, has anyone been successful in getting Ford-Corporate to pick up the rental. I negotiated a weekly rate of $175 through Enterprise, but that's still a lot of money for a delay created by Ford-Corporate.

Also, do you think they will cover the tow to the dealer since its a warranty issue??

Any suggestions for when I call Ford Customer Care?

Thanks in advance,
Rich

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Tows to the Dealer seem to only get covered when it's arranged by the Dealer, but I'd certainly try for it and emphasize that it was to the closest Dealer (never hurts to try). (Bill to the Dealer detailing the tow is better ppwk. for a claim than something presented by a customer.)

Contacting customer care direct might be quickest, we don't seem to have a rep. visiting the site as often as we've had at other times right now so a PM to FordService here might be slower.

VIN & Dealer info. needed for either, have that handy when calling.

They have to bump it to a regional service rep., keep track of any names/numbers you get in the process for follow up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post an update as developments warrant. Up to now, I've really liked my Focus. Not so much at this point. Ford need to step up and take care of this situation if they expect me to remain a loyal customer. If this problem has been a known issue for such a long time, I don't understand how Ford has not made sure they have a sufficient inventory of the parts necessary to make the repairs.

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same issue. Was told this morning that a rental would not be covered because this repair falls under the special warranty extension and not the extended warranty I purchased when I bought the car.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Same issue. Was told this morning that a rental would not be covered because this repair falls under the special warranty extension and not the extended warranty I purchased when I bought the car.

Sent from my SM-N910P using FF Mobile
Do you have Ford Premium Care ESP?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sorry for going off-topic.

Does anyone know if the new TCM they put on will be a revised fixed version. Or will the newly replaced TCM have the same crappy problem in the future meaning its the same exact bad design part going on .. band-aid.

From what i heard the TCM is expensive and not something i wanna replace outside of the warranty if i ever get that far.

Im just wondering...

thanks

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Does anyone know if the new TCM they put on will be a revised fixed version. Or will the newly replaced TCM have the same crappy problem in the future meaning its the same exact bad design part going on .. band-aid.
It's a revised version - I think they're on Rev E or F right now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's a revised version - I think they're on Rev E or F right now.
So if you have the factory one. Are you on borrowed time with that tcm. Is there a year range that has the newer tcm from the factory?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:
After initiating contact with Ford Customer Care on Monday, I got a call this Wednesday telling me the parts had been shipped to the dealer. But Ford would not reimburse for the rental or the 1st garage's tow and shop charge of $179.00 to get me off the highway and diagnose the possible warranty coverage (Kudos to this independent garage!). Customer Care guy was unsympathetic, bordering on rude.

My service advisor called late friday to say they had received a batch of parts and fixed five or six cars they had on their lot including mine. So I got it back (big mess inside from tearing apart the center console, but glad I got it back). I had the 2nd tow added to the bill at the Ford dealer and there was no charge to me. So apparently the dealer or Ford is eating the charge.

Overall, I'm still upset with how the whole process was handled. Known defect that will leave you dead on the road at any time, but no real assistance or preparedness on the part of Ford. Pretty sure I DO NOT have a new Ford in my future, but I know this Focus is out the door asap. No longer trust it. Probably as soon as Subaru releases its 2017 Impreza.

Appreciate all the help from this forum. As usual, you'all are great!

Rich

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm always teetering on "keep this pile of junk" or "dump it" as I got mine cheap. We drive Fords, not Ferarris, so this overall lack of parts due to several national back orders makes me nervous. Mazda's dealer network sucks, but they ALWAYS have parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts