Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm not here to kill Ford, that won't solve anything. I absolutely love my 2013 SE hb and having just come off of a civic si, some of the manual like characteristics of the DCT are not a bother to me, just wanted to ask 3 questions, hopefully people can offer some insight.

1- Does your transmission run significantly better when it is cold? (My Si was very jerky in cold and amazing when warm, yet the focus seems opposite)

2- When accelerating from a complete stop or even a rolling stop, if u wait a half second or so to let the clutches grab, do you experience less shutter? I've been toying with different driving approaches and I "think" this has helped me lower shuttering a lot. I'm curious if anyone else has any tips to offer on this issue (my biggest by far).

3- Does anyone know if Ford is continueing to find a more long term fix for the 2013 (or even the 2012-2014 for that matter) as far as new redesigned parts within the transmission or better updates for the computers, or do you suspect they are moving on to the 2015's and have abandoned hope on these models. My fear would be issues being left unresolved without any intent to correct them once newer models come out and absolutely crushing any trade in value on these cars down the road...

·
Registered
747 Posts
1. Yeah, that is gonna be the case. Shifts better when it's cooler.
2. Haven't noticed
3. Got my clutch replaced a year ago and the transmission still acts like total crap from time to time. Drove to Denver two weeks ago and shifting from 1 to 2 was absolutely effing terrible. Jerking around and chattering like mad. It really pissed me off. This was Rev D clutches. The software seems to be the problem. There is a "technique" that involves taking your car out to an empty road and putting the pedal to the floor from a dead stop to 6th gear. Do that about 5 times and your transmission will behave better for a while. The transmission is half baked and I have the same concerns as you for the most part. Good luck. I can't wait to see all the people who come in and post that their car has no problems and is perfect. I always love that part of these threads.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
This was Rev E clutches.
Rev E doesn'T exist at all. Went from D to F.

Ok, I'm not here to kill Ford, that won't solve anything. I absolutely love my 2013 SE hb and having just come off of a civic si, some of the manual like characteristics of the DCT are not a bother to me, just wanted to ask 3 questions, hopefully people can offer some insight.

1- Does your transmission run significantly better when it is cold? (My Si was very jerky in cold and amazing when warm, yet the focus seems opposite)

2- When accelerating from a complete stop or even a rolling stop, if u wait a half second or so to let the clutches grab, do you experience less shutter? I've been toying with different driving approaches and I "think" this has helped me lower shuttering a lot. I'm curious if anyone else has any tips to offer on this issue (my biggest by far).

3- Does anyone know if Ford is continueing to find a more long term fix for the 2013 (or even the 2012-2014 for that matter) as far as new redesigned parts within the transmission or better updates for the computers, or do you suspect they are moving on to the 2015's and have abandoned hope on these models. My fear would be issues being left unresolved without any intent to correct them once newer models come out and absolutely crushing any trade in value on these cars down the road...
1. Yes.

2. -

3. -

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate some feedback.... I'm with you tehmark, it does become very frustrating and i too believe, the software is probably the biggest issue, although id be lying if i pretended to know a lot about DCT's. The weirdest thing is, I can drive my car for 20 minutes straight in the morning without a single issue.... i stop at a wawa or something and get back in the car after its warmed up, start it back up, and driving is horrendous... mostly like u said, that 1st to 2nd gear. I get the shutter than grind and its even worse when accelerating from a stop making a turn (still cant explain this but it's noticeable). i can't come up with any theories as to why the heat would make the trans significantly worse whereas 99% of other cars are the total opposite.... hoping Ford gets it right in due time.... *sigh*

·
Registered
747 Posts
About a year and a half ago I saw a thread where people were speculating that the heat had a negative affect due to our transmission being "dry" instead of "wet". Something about it getting too hot and not performing correctly. It was a thread where someone had mentioned issues with the ??Veloster?? transmission and it was cleared up by installing some kind of cooler. Someone on the forum was quick to point out that our system is dry and the same solution couldn't be used on our cars. Long time ago in internet time so I apologize for any inaccuracies.

·
Registered
139 Posts
About a year and a half ago I saw a thread where people were speculating that the heat had a negative affect due to our transmission being "dry" instead of "wet". Something about it getting too hot and not performing correctly. It was a thread where someone had mentioned issues with the ??Veloster?? transmission and it was cleared up by installing some kind of cooler. Someone on the forum was quick to point out that our system is dry and the same solution couldn't be used on our cars. Long time ago in internet time so I apologize for any inaccuracies.
Umm, the transmission is not DRY, it has lubricant inside, on the other hand the clutches are standard dry type, same that is used on a standard transmission car, granted in a different configuration.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts

One thought:

Do you have the latest firmware?
If not, clearly it is best to end this discussion now (I see no point in discussing how the DCT behaves with older firmware).

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I appreciate some feedback.... I'm with you tehmark, it does become very frustrating and i too believe, the software is probably the biggest issue, although id be lying if i pretended to know a lot about DCT's. The weirdest thing is, I can drive my car for 20 minutes straight in the morning without a single issue.... i stop at a wawa or something and get back in the car after its warmed up, start it back up, and driving is horrendous... mostly like u said, that 1st to 2nd gear. I get the shutter than grind and its even worse when accelerating from a stop making a turn (still cant explain this but it's noticeable). i can't come up with any theories as to why the heat would make the trans significantly worse whereas 99% of other cars are the total opposite.... hoping Ford gets it right in due time.... *sigh*
Welcome to the forum!

Have you been to your dealer for this? Please let me know, along with your mileage. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

One thought:

Do you have the latest firmware?
If not, clearly it is best to end this discussion now (I see no point in discussing how the DCT behaves with older firmware).

I do, yessir, and so far no problems aside from a mild shutter that is no bother as long as it doesnt get significantly worse down the road

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the forum!

Have you been to your dealer for this? Please let me know, along with your mileage. :)

Meagan

I just bought the car 2 weeks ago Meagan, i notice the shutter, it seems normal from what I read, just curious on long term behavior or if Ford is continueing their research on how to find long term fixes bc based on what I have read there's been quite a struggle. My car is updated and rides pretty well except the shutter gets a little worse once the cars warmed up which I initially thought seemed a little backwards... seems like others experience the same thing though. Appreciate your concern.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the forum!

Meagan

22k btw

·
Registered
32 Posts
Curious, You all in Drive all the time? I've only had mine a few weeks now, so far no complaints (I sure hope it stays that way haha). I came from nothing but manuals before this car, so I'm used to the manual feel it has. Anyways, I'm never in drive unless on the freeway. I'm always in S. Car drives so much better in S mode. I don't manually shift, I still let car shift, but it behaves so much better. Also I always have traction control off. In S mode and traction off, there's no delay or stutters on take offs. With traction on and in D, there's a delay on take off, then it stutters a little like it's not sure if it wants to give me power or not, etc. anyways, just my newbie things I've noticed. I have no long term experience yet, but so far everything is great with mine.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Curious, You all in Drive all the time? I've only had mine a few weeks now, so far no complaints (I sure hope it stays that way haha). I came from nothing but manuals before this car, so I'm used to the manual feel it has. Anyways, I'm never in drive unless on the freeway. I'm always in S. Car drives so much better in S mode. I don't manually shift, I still let car shift, but it behaves so much better. Also I always have traction control off. In S mode and traction off, there's no delay or stutters on take offs. With traction on and in D, there's a delay on take off, then it stutters a little like it's not sure if it wants to give me power or not, etc. anyways, just my newbie things I've noticed. I have no long term experience yet, but so far everything is great with mine.
If you drive in S automatic all the time then you're also never using 6th gear.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you drive in S automatic all the time then you're also never using 6th gear.

I know. That's why I said unless I'm on th freeway. I put it in D on freeway. But it also has higher shift points and steady speeds seem to have a higher rpm. IN D I swear I'm in 6th by the time I drive across an intersection I was just stopped at lol. It'll drive around town in crazy low RPMs around town in D, S is much more appropriate. You're MPG suffers, but that's ok. Still better than my last car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Same boat as you (come from manuals) I too, am not bothered by some of the behavior but rather fear a worsening in shutter, jerkiness and hesitation bc based on what I've read, it seems inevitable. I've wondered about the S mode and I may begin trying that just for comparisons sake. Worth a shot!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same boat as you (come from manuals) I too, am not bothered by some of the behavior but rather fear a worsening in shutter, jerkiness and hesitation bc based on what I've read, it seems inevitable. I've wondered about the S mode and I may begin trying that just for comparisons sake. Worth a shot!!!
I'd try turning off traction control too. It's kind of a pain, but I THINK the shutter is from car not allowing full power at slow speeds. I'm totally guessing though. I don't experience any shutter in S and traction off, but what I'm interpreting as shutter might not be what everyone is talking about. My car is still young at 17,000 miles. Hoping it's not inevitable because I really like the DCT so far.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Ditto on the city driving in S, & D for highway.

Love how you have blacked out the front trapezoid, looks good.
Any more pics you can share

1 - 20 of 21 Posts