Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read most of the threads about the DCT and its problems and some of the features like Hill Assist, etc.

One thing that seems like people say a lot is that the car wont glide forward slowly with no throttle(just letting off the brake) like a conventional automatic. Well mine DOES act like that in regard to the slowly moving forward on a flat road and a small incline. I can edge up to a light just like any other automatic I have ever used. I know that Hill Assist is working on steeper hills cause I can feel the brake pedal pop. I am used to it cause my former Xterra did the same thing on steep inclines. But even after the hill assist lets go it will usually maintain position unless its pretty steep.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
there would be a speed threshold below which the car could not drive without slipping the clutch.

below that speed, foot off gas, transmission would be in disengagued in neutral, will roll downhill
above that speed, will drive forward at low rpm in 1st.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have read most of the threads about the DCT and its problems and some of the features like Hill Assist, etc.

One thing that seems like people say a lot is that the car wont glide forward slowly with no throttle(just letting off the brake) like a conventional automatic. Well mine DOES act like that in regard to the slowly moving forward on a flat road and a small incline. I can edge up to a light just like any other automatic I have ever used. I know that Hill Assist is working on steeper hills cause I can feel the brake pedal pop. I am used to it cause my former Xterra did the same thing on steep inclines. But even after the hill assist lets go it will usually maintain position unless its pretty steep.

Thoughts?
Exactly what mine does too, well, I have yet to test the hill assist, so no clue if that works or not.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there would be a speed threshold below which the car could not drive without slipping the clutch.

below that speed, foot off gas, transmission would be in disengagued in neutral, will roll downhill
above that speed, will drive forward at low rpm in 1st.
Thats what I mean. Say I pull up to a light, go to a full stop and feel like edging up a bit. I can just let off the brake and the car will slowly roll forward even going up a slight hill and I can stop and edge up as many times as I want never touching the throttle. So the transmission is engaged to some degree. RPM's dont change from when I am stopped(at about 750-850). Seems different than all of the ones people have talked about except the post above this one.

Mine was built on 7-10-14 so maybe there is a difference in the DCT or programming?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
November '13. And I had the July '14 TSB uploaded, which included changing the shift points on the DCT, and changing the electric steering to not be so "twitchy" on the highway.
Describe twitchy if you dont mind. Mine is different than I am used to in my x.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
DCT programming keeps changing from reports posted here, many changes are to make it's operation resemble a fluid drive automatic more than it did to begin with.

Personally I think that's a mistake, as too much "creeping" can heat up the clutch and contribute to the start of the shuddering that's the worst aspect of these when it develops.

I'm sure they're trying to balance the programming both to keep people happy & not cause problems, I always thought promoting the differences would be better than trying to make it seem identical in operation to it's predecessors.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DCT programming keeps changing from reports posted here, many changes are to make it's operation resemble a fluid drive automatic more than it did to begin with.

Personally I think that's a mistake, as too much "creeping" can heat up the clutch and contribute to the start of the shuddering that's the worst aspect of these when it develops.

I'm sure they're trying to balance the programming both to keep people happy & not cause problems, I always thought promoting the differences would be better than trying to make it seem identical in operation to it's predecessors.
I agree. Every other manufacturer that has a different than a normal auto tranny at least describes theirs as something different.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

Thoughts?
Mine too (build date Oct 17, 2013) behaves similarly w respect to lifting off brake and closed throttle. I don't know if I've ever been in a situation to effectively notice the hill assist.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine too (build date Oct 17, 2013) behaves similarly w respect to lifting off brake and closed throttle. I don't know if I've ever been in a situation to effectively notice the hill assist.
Wow, mine does Hill Assist in my mildly angled driveway.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My ' 14 built 7/13 also creeps like an auto in the stop light scenario. I think I would rather that be disabled to ensure longevity TBH. I definitely notice the the grade assist holds you in gears differently than no assist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts