Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, so I just bought a 2014 focus se from my dad a couple weeks ago with 45,000 miles on it, he never had any issues with it and now it seems when I got it, the problems are staring with the dct.

So to start I've noticed that after I've drove the car for awhile and everything is warm the transmission would jerk when in reverse and I let go of the brake, it isn't that big of a deal but it is kind of worry some.
But the other day I drove a 2 hour trip with 2 passengers and together we weighed about 460 Lbs and then probably had 50 in the trunk, I could tell the car was sluggish with the load and not as peppy, but the whole trip was fine right until the end when we were almost to are destination, I punched the gas to the floor from a turn at about 10 mph and all the sudden it revved out in first gear to about 7000 Rpms and it stayed up there for a bit like it went to neutral, then I could hear the trans searching for a gear and there was some grinding involved with the clutch as well. I pulled over immediately and turned on the hazards, shut the car off and turned it back on and I just slowly drove to the destination, it seemed fine after that but when I put it in reverse the jerking was pretty bad, so I took out my scan tool and check the temps of the trans and it said it was about 200 F, I'm wondering if that is normal operating temps for the trans after a trip? I waited a little bit and took it for a test again with the same load and it was fine??

So my question is has anyone had this happen to them, the only things I've heard of is the shuddering and grinding on light acceleration, but in my case it was the exact opposite?
One thing to note is my dad said he never pushed the gas to the floor really, and he never had any issues with it in the whole 45,000 miles he drove it, also he never took it to the dealer from the day he bought it, so it hasn't had the TCM re-flash update.... Should I go get this done?

And one more question, what is normal coolant temps for this engine on a 65 Degree day, the needle stays right in the middle, but my scan tool shows sometimes 218 F when idling after a trip and on the road it's about 200 F this seems high to me, but I'm assuming it's just how ford designed it?

Thanks

·
Registered
426 Posts
Kinda sounds like the same symptoms of the TCM screwing up, good news is it won't cost you to get it replaced. Do you have any check engine lights?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda sounds like the same symptoms of the TCM screwing up, good news is it won't cost you to get it replaced. Do you have any check engine lights?

Nope no lights, I haven't checked for pending codes yet..... That's good news though, I just hope the dealer won't be a jerks and say there nothing wrong lol

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nope no lights, I haven't checked for pending codes yet..... That's good news though, I just hope the dealer won't be a jerks and say there nothing wrong lol
With mine they HAD to have the light/codes. They spent around 3 hours turning it on and off to get it to mess up

I was about to take it back from them and drive around for the weekend when they managed to get it to throw a code, they then ordered the TCM and replaced it

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow haha, you'd think they would just take your word for it, and order it.
Seems they were wasting time so they could get paid for nothing, at least you didn't have to pay for it lol

·
Registered
426 Posts
Seems they were wasting time so they could get paid for nothing, at least you didn't have to pay for it lol
The guy at the dealership was a cool guy, he said they have to provide a whole bunch of information when submitting the warranty claim for the TCM, so it wasn't really up to him, it was Ford

I am inclined to believe him, because they spent a LOT of time on my car, which they probably didn't get paid for

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy at the dealership was a cool guy, he said they have to provide a whole bunch of information when submitting the warranty claim for the TCM, so it wasn't really up to him, it was Ford

I am inclined to believe him, because they spent a LOT of time on my car, which they probably didn't get paid for
Oh my bad, how long did it take for them to change the TCM

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would try having the TCM flashed with the latest update first. the transmission apparently "learns" from your driving style and is most likely set for how your father has driven the car over the years he has owned it.

·
FF Affiliate
30,382 Posts
Ok cool thanks, is it because of the high compression ratios and aluminum heads
Its more to do with the Focus engines have a 196-198 thermostat in them and the fans are not set to come on 100% till about 220 deg

I have a great custom tune that helps the DCT and daily driving , makes the MK3 a lot more fun to drive

Tom

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok cool thanks, is it because of the high compression ratios and aluminum heads
Its more to do with the Focus engines have a 196-198 thermostat in them and the fans are not set to come on 100% till about 220 deg

I have a great custom tune that helps the DCT and daily driving , makes the MK3 a lot more fun to drive

Tom
Oh ok cool

Yeah I've thought about getting your tune, of ford can't fix it I prova my will buy one because I've seen that it fixes the problem

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would try having the TCM flashed with the latest update first. the transmission apparently "learns" from your driving style and is most likely set for how your father has driven the car over the years he has owned it.
That's what I was thinking, I tend to drive a little faster hehe

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
That's what I was thinking, I tend to drive a little faster hehe
I had the same thing when I sold my 2012 to my son, it had 112k miles on it. I did keep up on all the updates, took it in last Tuesday and his clutches are going to be replaced on the 17th. Take your car to Bob Maxey in Howell, service department is excellent. Hopefully the re-flash is all you need.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had the same thing when I sold my 2012 to my son, it had 112k miles on it. I did keep up on all the updates, took it in last Tuesday and his clutches are going to be replaced on the 17th. Take your car to Bob Maxey in Howell, service department is excellent. Hopefully the re-flash is all you need.
Oh wow, do you know if there gonna give you the updated version of the clutch packs?
I would of went there had I seen your post before I made a appointment at the one in fowlerville lol
I hope a reflash is all it needs, but today driving to school in owosso as I pulled in I could hear the clutch rattling [?|] So idk what the deal is now, it's still shifting fine but I can hear rattling.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
More and more, all svc techs are looking for a code. the old days of knowing the systems are becoming ancient history.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More and more, all svc techs are looking for a code. the old days of knowing the systems are becoming ancient history.
Yeah, especially since there's so much more in the systems.
I have a feeling they might tell me they can't do nothing for mine because it hasn't thrown a code nor has any pending, hopefully they can at least give me the reflash update since it hasn't gotten it

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have a feeling they might tell me they can't do nothing for mine because it hasn't thrown a code nor has any pending, hopefully they can at least give me the reflash update since it hasn't gotten it
Abit off topic here but I ran into a guy with a Nissan GTR yesterday at the gas station and after complimenting his car, asks him if he had the dual clutch tranny (nissan version) and he said yes. He started to explain how one works and I pointed over to my GTI and he said oh you already have one. I then asked him how does his work, how is the shifting, etc and he said good. Told him I was asking because so does mine but I once had a ford focus and it didn't. He immediately told me he used to work at a for dealer and the problems in the Ford DCT were well-known.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Abit off topic here but I ran into a guy with a Nissan GTR yesterday at the gas station and after complimenting his car, asks him if he had the dual clutch tranny (nissan version) and he said yes. He started to explain how one works and I pointed over to my GTI and he said oh you already have one. I then asked him how does his work, how is the shifting, etc and he said good. Told him I was asking because so does mine but I once had a ford focus and it didn't. He immediately told me he used to work at a for dealer and the problems in the Ford DCT were well-known.
Haha well the Gtr probably has a heck of a lot better design then the focus, how do you like your GTI ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts