Focus Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 180 of 3989 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Had this TSB done on Monday. Had some idle flare on decel (though I didnt notice until I was prompted by this thread).

Shifting is neater... wasn't bad before, but I like it better now.

Good job to those who worked on this!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Update tomorrow

Well, I made the reservation yesterday for an oil change and the TSB update. So as I found myself with the afternoon off today I thought I would take a chance, called my service department in the hopes of getting the update done today. Well let's just say it didn't go that well. First off is I had to explain this TSB to him (he wasn't aware of it). He asked me what the issues were that I was seeing and I described them to him (mostly that it performed like a dog during city driving). He then went on about winter fuel, my larger tires, etc. which only served to get me agitated. He said that he would go look for the TSB and call me back. I told him that I would come here and get the number for him.

He called me back and said that he couldn't find anything with regards to a TSB and my driveability concerns. I then gave him the TSB number and he said he found it and said it didn't apply to my car (which is a July build). Now fully frustrated, I told him (and I meant it) that the way the car drove and the milage it was getting, I am completely disatisfied with the car would be getting rid of it. For me, to get anything within reason for milage, I have to completely baby the thing to get it to 32 mpg's. If i drive it normally it will average 29 - 30. With 8700 miles on it already, the clear majority of my driving is highway. He then said that he would look into it more and call me back again.

When he called me back he said that he would do the update but as it wasn't a clear match to the TSB it wouldn't be a warranty issue. Not understanding what he was saying I asked him by doing the update, how much would it cost me and what would it do to my warranty having them do this? He said there was no cost and it wouldn't effect my warranty, it was only meant to say it wasn't a "lemon law" response, that it was in answer to my complaint - a customer satisfaction effort. I said I'm not looking to turn this into anything beyond getting the update done but how can it be that clearly at least 12 people on this group have had it done based off of these issues, that there's even a write up in USA Today about it where Mullaly acknowledges the issues and says there fixed and that he didn't even know about this? He then said he's never heard of it but will do the update to satisfy me.

Why is it that Ford can't communicate this down to their dealers?

I should have the car back sometime around early afternoon tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Joe

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, I made the reservation yesterday for an oil change and the TSB update. So as I found myself with the afternoon off today I thought I would take a chance, called my service department in the hopes of getting the update done today. Well let's just say it didn't go that well. First off is I had to explain this TSB to him (he wasn't aware of it). He asked me what the issues were that I was seeing and I described them to him (mostly that it performed like a dog during city driving). He then went on about winter fuel, my larger tires, etc. which only served to get me agitated. He said that he would go look for the TSB and call me back. I told him that I would come here and get the number for him.

He called me back and said that he couldn't find anything with regards to a TSB and my driveability concerns. I then gave him the TSB number and he said he found it and said it didn't apply to my car (which is a July build). Now fully frustrated, I told him (and I meant it) that the way the car drove and the milage it was getting, I am completely disatisfied with the car would be getting rid of it. For me, to get anything within reason for milage, I have to completely baby the thing to get it to 32 mpg's. If i drive it normally it will average 29 - 30. With 8700 miles on it already, the clear majority of my driving is highway. He then said that he would look into it more and call me back again.

When he called me back he said that he would do the update but as it wasn't a clear match to the TSB it wouldn't be a warranty issue. Not understanding what he was saying I asked him by doing the update, how much would it cost me and what would it do to my warranty having them do this? He said there was no cost and it wouldn't effect my warranty, it was only meant to say it wasn't a "lemon law" response, that it was in answer to my complaint - a customer satisfaction effort. I said I'm not looking to turn this into anything beyond getting the update done but how can it be that clearly at least 12 people on this group have had it done based off of these issues, that there's even a write up in USA Today about it where Mullaly acknowledges the issues and says there fixed and that he didn't even know about this? He then said he's never heard of it but will do the update to satisfy me.

Why is it that Ford can't communicate this down to their dealers?

I should have the car back sometime around early afternoon tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Joe
You know I started laughing when reading that, With the issues I have had with Ford I know it is going to be surprising to hear this from me but that is not Ford it is the dealer. Ford makes TSB available in the computer and if the service writer or tech can't find it shame on them. When I took my car in for the same TSB they found it and applied it without question.

Montana

·
Registered
211 Posts
You know I started laughing when reading that, With the issues I have had with Ford I know it is going to be surprising to hear this from me but that is not Ford it is the dealer. Ford makes TSB available in the computer and if the service writer or tech can't find it shame on them. When I took my car in for the same TSB they found it and applied it without question.

Montana
Definitely A LOT of idiotic dealers around.. I ha a similar issue I vented about lol... I might call my salesman and get him to get my car in at that dealer..

Don't blame Ford completely, there's a disconnect somewhere when we read about it in the news and their dealers are being a pain in the ass. The dealers are better suited ripping off people charging $4-500 to change front brakes..

·
Registered
9 Posts
had 11-10-2 tsb applied last week. shudder at stop-n-go traffic is much much better, still there sometimes but slight and tolerable. much better overall. glad i got it done. drives like it's in Sport mode..which is fine with me.

reverse is another issue..it is very very aggressive and shaky..i know it is still "learning" so i'll be patient. i didn't have a problem with reverse before.

this is my second dealer and they gave me no flack to apply the tsb.

also, when told them of "crunching" noise in front end when slowing down they inspected and immediately said that i needed the strut bearings and coil springs replaced per another tsb. i'm waiting on parts now.
original dealer sux. said the front end sound was "the nature of the transmission" when it wasn't the transmission at all.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think theres a misunderstanding on what TSBs are and how they work

you can't tell a service advisor there's a TSB you want done and expect them to automatically do it and bill it to Ford. A TSB is not a recall, its a bulletin for technicians to refer to when diagnosing problems.

the better approach is to tell the service advisor the symptoms, and then politely mention you're aware of a TSB that sounds like it may correct the symptom.

If I walk into my doctor and tell him I want some antibiotics, he's not gonna say "sure, here ya go, I'll just bill your insurance" he's gonna first confirm the symptoms before recommending the solution.

·
Registered
712 Posts

you can't tell a service advisor there's a TSB you want done and expect them to automatically do it and bill it to Ford. A TSB is not a recall, its a bulletin for technicians to refer to when diagnosing problems.

the better approach is to tell the service advisor the symptoms, and then politely mention you're aware of a TSB that sounds like it may correct the symptom.

If I walk into my doctor and tell him I want some antibiotics, he's not gonna say "sure, here ya go, I'll just bill your insurance" he's gonna first confirm the symptoms before recommending the solution.

Excellent advice FF4

·
Registered
202 Posts

If the TSB states it applies to cars built before 8-12 wouldn't that make his car automatically eligible? I don't know, I'm just asking. My dealer just did it no questions asked.

My wife's car actually drove pretty nice, NO shudder, before the update. I would have accepted it as normal, just not impressive. No shudder after... but 10X better driving experience. Impressive. Love it.

Made me think twice about having ordered my 5sp (after the update). Now that I've driven the 5sp for 10 days. Happy I got it. Too much fun.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If the TSB states it applies to cars built before 8-12 wouldn't that make his car automatically eligible? I don't know, I'm just asking. My dealer just did it no questions asked.

My wife's car actually drove pretty nice, NO shudder, before the update. I would have accepted it as normal, just not impressive. No shudder after... but 10X better driving experience. Impressive. Love it.

Made me think twice about having ordered my 5sp (after the update). Now that I've driven the 5sp for 10 days. Happy I got it. Too much fun.
Nope as it is a service bulletin and not a recall, If the vehicle has the issues described in the TSB then it will be applied. Right now though I think Ford is just saying do it as they are getting good feedback and happier customers.

Montana

·
Registered
9 Posts
i am aware of how a tsb works vs recalls. i went to the dealer where i purchased the car and explained my symptoms and mentioned the tsb and the "crunching" sound at front end. they said that this was all "normal" behavior and sounds. btw, another customer was there when i returned to pick up my car and they were complaining about the shudder symptoms and the dealer responded exactly the same and did not mention the tsb nor that other customers had concerns.

when i went to the second dealer they drove it and they were the ones that told me about the coil spring and strut tsb that i was unaware was even out. in addition they said many customers had been complaining about the transmission and that there was a tsb that could be applied.

either way...my transmission now works to my satisfaction and i look forward to the strut bearings/coil springs fix.

oh, and, i luv this car.

·
Registered
9 Posts

i am aware of how a tsb works vs recalls. i went to the dealer where i purchased the car and explained my symptoms and mentioned the tsb and the "crunching" sound at front end. they said that this was all "normal" behavior and sounds. btw, another customer was there when i returned to pick up my car and they were complaining about the shudder symptoms and the dealer responded exactly the same and did not mention the tsb nor that other customers had concerns.

when i went to the second dealer they drove it and they were the ones that told me about the coil spring and strut tsb that i was unaware was even out. in addition they said many customers had been complaining about the transmission and that there was a tsb that could be applied.

either way...my transmission now works to my satisfaction and i look forward to the strut bearings/coil springs fix.

oh, and, i luv this car.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nope as it is a service bulletin and not a recall, If the vehicle has the issues described in the TSB then it will be applied. Right now though I think Ford is just saying do it as they are getting good feedback and happier customers.

Montana
That's part of my day yesterday that I still find suspicious. When he called me back the 2nd time he was a lot more agreeable in just applying the TSB. I'm thinking that he got a hold of someone at the district level who then informed him that this TSB is the "fix" to the pre 8/12 cars. Of course he didn't help himself going into the lemon law BS.

Also, I just got off the phone with him and it won't be ready today. Apparently their computer that they will use to implement this update needs to be updated, which they're having some issues with.

Thank God for this forum!

Joe

·
Registered
166 Posts

oh, and, i luv this car.
hyronk,

You have any idea what the TSB number was for the strut issue?

You know I don't understand dealers not wanting to even acknowledge that there is a issue and apply the TSB if the concern is valid. They are getting paid for it and I think they are in the business of making money.

Montana

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's part of my day yesterday that I still find suspicious. When he called me back the 2nd time he was a lot more agreeable in just applying the TSB. I'm thinking that he got a hold of someone at the district level who then informed him that this TSB is the "fix" to the pre 8/12 cars. Of course he didn't help himself going into the lemon law BS.

Also, I just got off the phone with him and it won't be ready today. Apparently their computer that they will use to implement this update needs to be updated, which they're having some issues with.

Thank God for this forum!

Joe
Glad to hear they are going to take care of you, I think it was Kabigon here on the forum that informed us why the TSB could not be applied at a earlier date, And that was due to the software used to program the PCM/TCM was not up to the task. So I am guessing you will be the first to get your Focus re-programmed at that dealer.

Let us know how it goes after you get it done, It should be a considerable improvement compared to before the re-program.

Montana

·
Registered
143 Posts
Time to provide some details

Okay guys, those who've had the update. Some have had it for a while now, we here who are waiting to get it or who have not need some more input on how it's working for you now.

I'm hoping that the DCT's learning hasn't taken the improvements away.

Joe

·
Registered
166 Posts
Okay guys, those who've had the update. Some have had it for a while now, we here who are waiting to get it or who have not need some more input on how it's working for you now.

I'm hoping that the DCT's learning hasn't taken the improvements away.

Joe
I am about 3 to 4 weeks into the update and it got better after the adaptive learning process, When I left the dealership it was better but a little rough (Which I was told it would be). At this point in time I cannot get the trans to misbehave (knocks on wood).

Montana

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am about 3 to 4 weeks into the update and it got better after the adaptive learning process, When I left the dealership it was better but a little rough (Which I was told it would be). At this point in time I cannot get the trans to misbehave (knocks on wood).

Montana
Now that's a big smile on my face, can't wait to get mine back!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Less hair

So, just got a call from my dealer. As we know to do this update requires and IDS update on their end. They've tried to update their computer and wherever they're getting it from is saying that it's not available.

So, my car will not have the TSB update anytime soon.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just my .02 on requesting a driveability TSB fix with your Service Advisor.

Every vehicle I've ever owned has been a Ford or Mercury, so I have about 30 years' experience woking with Ford Service departments in Florida and Georgia. For what that's worth, I've never, ever been told that they would not perform TSB work if I was able to describe what the concern was and it was related to a fix in a TSB. I've used various methods to research the reason for a TSB and made darn sure that at least one of my concerns included the key words in the TSB. Now with the advent of the internet and Forums like this, it's become almost a no-brainer.

Here's what I recommend.

1) Print a copy of the TSB and take it with you. There's a text version on this post somewhere so just do a search and print out the text.

2) Take a highlighter and highlight the issues listed in the TSB that you've experienced.

3) Put some notes at the bottom to describe the conditions you were operating under when you've observed the concerns. (Descriptive phrases like "under WOT acceleration", "at 25 MPH when making a turn and under half-throttle", "at 0% throttle during deceleration", "at cruising speed" really help the tech undertsand what you're feeling and why). Also, probably 70% of the problems people describe are intermittent and not readily reproduced in the shop. Therefore, I usually tell them that I'd prefer that they implement the TSB fix even if they are unable to reproduce the concern at will.

4) Give the TSB to the Service Advisor that writes up your Service Order. Give them a number to reach you if they cannot duplicate your concern.

5) Engage your Service Advisor. Try and develop a good relationship with them. This can lead to them anticipating your needs and they will sometimes even do value-adds for you like a free wash and interior cleaning, oil changes, additional diagnosis for known problems, etc.

6) If you have a bad experience, don't immediately go to the "I'm severely pissed and will make your life a living hell" scenario. That almost never works. I recommend having a civil disagreement and if necessary engage the Service Manager or your salesperson to help mitigate the dispute. I've learned that honey catches more flies than vinegar in this scenario.

7) Finally, if you're still not satisfied, the dealer usually has a QA and Customer Satusfaction Manager that is responsible for ensuring that the dealership receives high marks for customer loyalty and customer experience rankings. This is usually an extension of the marketing and sales department. Engage them if you're still not happy.

Hopefully this strategy will help you address any concerns you may have; if not then you can always go the the scorched-earth scenario as a last resort.

161 - 180 of 3989 Posts