Focus Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 140 of 3989 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just scheduled an appointment for next Tuesday for an oil change(i only have 2,000 some odd miles but I've had the car since June so figured it was time lol) and this TSB.

How long does the TSB typically take to perform? I am debating taking the day off from work and waiting until they fix it that day. When I called the service person said they couldn't see a TSB out but asked if I was experiencing any problems. Honestly, I have not at all but I told her I was experiencing sharp shudders at low speeds and when coming to a red light.

My service department is typically very good so I hope they aren't going to give me the run around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm updated! Haven't tested it out, but the drive back from the dealership did seem to feel like the car had a higher shift point.

Fortunately, I didn't have to fight for it. The guys were really great!

I'm including the following, in case it's helpful to anyone:
Primary cause for them looking into the problem: "A C/S Vehicle not downshifting when it needs to (Will Shudder when coming to a stop)." <--I knew this was on the TSB and used it as my reason with the dealership. It actually happened a few times for my vehicle, so I figured I'd use a symptom that I know they were addressing.

Result: "M Technician Reprogramed PCM and TCM as per TSB 11-10-2 (Also see SSM 21918)"

SSM 21918 is a special service message about how our transmission does tend to "shudder" and how it will not cause reliability/durability issues. As long as there is no leaking tranny fluid, there is no need to investigate that issue further.

I was worried going into the dealership, but I'm very happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'm updated! Haven't tested it out, but the drive back from the dealership did seem to feel like the car had a higher shift point.

Fortunately, I didn't have to fight for it. The guys were really great!

I'm including the following, in case it's helpful to anyone:
Primary cause for them looking into the problem: "A C/S Vehicle not downshifting when it needs to (Will Shudder when coming to a stop)." <--I knew this was on the TSB and used it as my reason with the dealership. It actually happened a few times for my vehicle, so I figured I'd use a symptom that I know they were addressing.

Result: "M Technician Reprogramed PCM and TCM as per TSB 11-10-2 (Also see SSM 21918)"

SSM 21918 is a special service message about how our transmission does tend to "shudder" and how it will not cause reliability/durability issues. As long as there is no leaking tranny fluid, there is no need to investigate that issue further.

I was worried going into the dealership, but I'm very happy with the outcome.
how long did they take to perform the update?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dct - tsb

I did the TSB work today and I look forward to a smooth DCT. A knowlegeable service consultant sould be able to find the TSB.
This TSB work should only take 30 minutes and another 20 minutes or so for the mechanic to test drive according to my friend at the Ford dealership. Of course this could mean half a day depending on how busy they are and the appt was made beforehand. I mentioned the RPM surge on decelaration, irregular idle with shudder, and roughness at low speeds. Any one or a combination of these should be enough reason for them to do TSB work on the car. BTW, the very 1st TSB out on the 12 Focus is the No response to the Key FOB. This was done with the DCT work today.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Whenever my stinking parts come in that ive been waiting 2 months for i will have them apply the TSB for the key FOB and transmission issues. Also anyone know if the dealerships have the new MFT updates available yet? If so might as well get that done too

·
Registered
211 Posts
So... I took my car in to the dealer that my family has always used for service. I made the appt in regards to the TSB, explained the TSB to the girl, left my key and walked over to Subway for lunch..she calls me
"says there are no *recalls* on my car"
that my "VIN doesnt need the service"
I countered this with "all produced before aug 12..." she said it depends on the plant it comes from... ok sister the north american focus is only coming from MI, it's not an F 150 where there's kansas city, ontario canada, etc..

they refused to do any TSB work without me leaving them the car so they can duplicate the issue... umm.. it's only shuddered twice.. and I'm not leaving my car for a week for there to be another cold, rainy day for them to 'try' and find the issue.

end of rant... if you're ever in Western New York, don't bother with Emerling Ford in Springville...all the good people that worked there retired or got better jobs, and (I'm 25 so this sounds ridiculous) but there's just smartass kids working there now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I called my dealer last week, asking if they knew about the TSB. I was told that there was no recall on my vehicle, etc. I'm going in to get an oil change, and I will mention it to them again, and tell them I have some of the "issues", intermittently. We'll see how the "Canadians" handle their customers.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I dropped my car off last night to have the TSB fix done to my car, I thought it would be pretty simple and I could swing by the dealer after work tonight. Turns out that's not the case, there is something else wrong with the transmission that they are attempting to diagnose. I hope it is nothing serious.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
These dealership advisers are morons. These are not RECALLS, they're TSBs. Completely different!

Also, Focus4U, can you get the TSB number of the key fob issue?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I went to the owner.ford.com website and punched my info in, and it says that there are no TSB's available for my vehicle, etc. Does that mean i'm in the clear or should i still pursue this?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I went to the owner.ford.com website and punched my info in, and it says that there are no TSB's available for my vehicle, etc. Does that mean i'm in the clear or should i still pursue this?
Where did you find an area that listed TSBs? All I see is a spot for recall notices. These procedures aren't recalls.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Where did you find an area that listed TSBs? All I see is a spot for recall notices. These procedures aren't recalls.
Oh i'm sorry, that's what i meant. I guess i mixed the two up. [facepalm] In this case then, where do i go to check these out?

Furthermore, i've had my car for about 1k miles now and I've driven in it rigorously @ varied speeds, etc -- I can't 'feel' the problems that people are having with the transmission. Should I still update?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Oh i'm sorry, that's what i meant. I guess i mixed the two up. [facepalm] In this case then, where do i go to check these out?

Furthermore, i've had my car for about 1k miles now and I've driven in it rigorously @ varied speeds, etc -- I can't 'feel' the problems that people are having with the transmission. Should I still update?
First, check your build date. In your driver's door jamb on the left side there's a sticker with the manufacture month/year. Below that is a line of numbers/letters that's something like XX08122011XX which would be August 12th, 2011, if it's that date or before, you should get the transmission TSB applied. If it's after that date, your car has the updated transmission programming from the factory.

·
Registered
261 Posts
First, check your build date. In your driver's door jamb on the left side there's a sticker with the manufacture month/year. Below that is a line of numbers/letters that's something like XX08122011XX which would be August 12th, 2011, if it's that date or before, you should get the transmission TSB applied. If it's after that date, your car has the updated transmission programming from the factory.
Thanks for answering that part of the question feta; however, is there a site/place i can go to specifically that will list all the TSB's for this vehicle?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Thanks for answering that part of the question feta; however, is there a site/place i can go to specifically that will list all the TSB's for this vehicle?
Not really sure about that... I think I've read that the NY Times site lists them, but I haven't looked. The info for that particular TSB is on the first few pages of this thread, however, if you backtrack.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well, i just found out my car was built on september 14th. Perhaps thats why i never understood why people complained about the trans? However, I can attest that there is slight vibration every now and then still, but it seems that most "problems" are gone.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Well, i just found out my car was built on september 14th. Perhaps thats why i never understood why people complained about the trans? However, I can attest that there is slight vibration every now and then still, but it seems that most "problems" are gone.
Indeed. After my TSB fix, I still have some slight shudder as well. Beforehand though, shift points were awkward and often too low, the car wouldn't readily upshift when given some throttle input, shaking was present at low speeds, and everything else described in this thread, apparently. Glad you have a car without the issues.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well had the update done about 2 weeks ago. I can say two things are fixed...but a new issue has come up.

The shudder at low speeds is almost none existent and the grinding between gears (1-2 and 2-3) is gone.

The issue I am trying to figure out now is, around 50 - 60 mph the car boggs down. I have to give it heavy throttle for it to downshift. It feels like it goes into 6th gear and takes a long time and a lot of throttle for it to down shift.

Much better all around though. I can deal with this issue much easier. Hopefully it is still learning the clutches and will get better.

Has anyone else with the update noticed this behavior?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Well had the update done about 2 weeks ago. I can say two things are fixed...but a new issue has come up.

The shudder at low speeds is almost none existent and the grinding between gears (1-2 and 2-3) is gone.

The issue I am trying to figure out now is, around 50 - 60 mph the car boggs down. I have to give it heavy throttle for it to downshift. It feels like it goes into 6th gear and takes a long time and a lot of throttle for it to down shift.

Much better all around though. I can deal with this issue much easier. Hopefully it is still learning the clutches and will get better.

Has anyone else with the update noticed this behavior?
I'll get back to you next week when I have my highway commute to school again. I didn't seem to notice any hesitation overtaking a truck on 2-lane road, from 50-70 pretty quickly to overtake, but I wasn't much paying attention to how responsive it was, I just mashed the pedal.

I'll pay attention when I hit the onramp next week and offer my opinion.

121 - 140 of 3989 Posts