Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 3989 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Ford diagnostic system (IDS) that the dealers use is updated periodically (usually every 1 to 2 months).
When a new calibration (module firmware) is available, the IDS system "doesn't know about it" until it is updated to the latest revision.

Why did they "recall" the September update?

Nothing was wrong with the new PCM/TCM firmware. The problem was with the reflashing procedure used by the version of IDS that was current at that time. The next version of IDS (available in early October) fixed that problem.
I cannot really agree with this as I had the september fix, which did absolutely nothing. As for re-flashing, they just leave your car running rather then hooking up a battery charger.

If you look at the sequence of events, they release the vehicle which was similar to the Fiesta transmission in January of 2011. Numerous problems are first reported in the Fiesta line, as I should know as I went through 3 transmissions and a driveshaft before Ford took the car back.

Now being the same transmission is in the Focus, as was in the Fiesta, they are looking for a fix.

Sometime in August they are confident that they fixed it, and released the fix which was applied to every car after Aug-12 production.

They however do not release this fix for other cars until sept-05. A few days later they stop applying the fix, as it did not change anything.

On October-02 they release another fix which apparently works for every car produced before august 12th. The reason before august-12 is because the software was already updated at the factory on or after august 12th.

Thus my question is, if they updated the software at the factory on or after august 12, why did they not immediately release it for the public who was complaining and dropping their stock value, and also leading to consumers reports giving it a negative report and affecting the 2012 Focus's new reputation.

I guess we could say they waited until Sept-05 to make sure the update was not problematic, if this is the case then why not release it as soon as possible to avoid bad publicity.

Ford is now in 20th place of 28 manufacturers and I am sure that they would have done anything to have prevented this.

Instead Ford kept the apparent fix for another 4 weeks and released a fix on October 02, and very silently as even my dealer did not know it was available until I informed them, and gave them this information.

A search of my VIN for the TSB showed nothing, it was this forum that brought forward the information, to allow my transmission to be updated

There is something definitely wrong in the way the was done, Ford does not let it's reputation slide, and new model release go downhill, all because they want to take their time.

I do know, that in the short time I had my 2011 Fiesta, and went through 3 new transmissions, every replacement was newer and different then the previous one, they removed, and this was all done in a little under a month.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The Ford diagnostic system (IDS) that the dealers use is updated periodically (usually every 1 to 2 months).
When a new calibration (module firmware) is available, the IDS system "doesn't know about it" until it is updated to the latest revision.

Why did they "recall" the September update?

Nothing was wrong with the new PCM/TCM firmware. The problem was with the reflashing procedure used by the version of IDS that was current at that time. The next version of IDS (available in early October) fixed that problem.

Thanks for the information, your posts are always informative and reasoned rather than wild guesses.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just got the TSB done, car definitely feels a lot smoother and more predictable. There is still some low speed shuddering, but it feels like the kind that would actually go away after the break-in period (I only have 600 miles on my car).

I'm quite happy. :)

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I cannot really agree with this as I had the september fix, which did absolutely nothing.
OK, let me try this one more time...

1) On 8/12/11, Ford releases a new PCM/TCM calibration to manufacturing.

2) A few weeks later, TSB 11-9-5 is released for service.

3) Shortly after the TSB was released, the following bulletin was issued:
22051 (AWARENESS) CALIBRATION UPDATE - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AND ENGINE DRIVABILITY IMPROVEMENTS - BUILT ON ON BEFORE 8/12/2011
SOME 2012 FOCUS VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/12/2011 MAY EXHIBIT VARIOUS AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION AND ENGINE DRIVABILITY CONCERNS. THE VEHICLE MAY ALSO EXHIBIT DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F OR P2877. ATTEMPTING TO REFLASH THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE AND TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE WITH IDS RELEASE 74.05 OR 75.01 WILL RESULT IN A NO CRANK/NO START CONDITION AND SHOULD NOT BE PERFORMED AT THIS TIME. CONTINUE TO MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES.

4) On 10/2/11, TSB 11-10-2 is released:
This article supersedes TSBs 11-5-11, 11-7-22 and 11-9-5 to consolidate previously released articles, updated Title, Issue Statement and Service Procedure...
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 75.02 and higher.

I did the update a couple of weeks ago with no problems.
Just now I opened the TCM calibration file that was used for the update and found the following (in the file header):
Generated on Fri Aug 5 11:15:10 2011

Yes, the TCM calibration file was generated on August 5.
It may be your opinion that Ford should have acted faster, but that does not change the facts.
New IDS versions usually incorporate many updates (it is used worldwide) so it does not happen overnight.

As for re-flashing, they just leave your car running rather then hooking up a battery charger.
That is absurd. The PCM and TCM calibration files are a matched set and must be replaced at the same time. The engine cannot be running while replacing the PCM firmware (just as you cannot make a phone call while installing a new OS in your cell phone).

When I said "the problem was with the reflashing procedure", I was referring to an internal procedure that is carried out by the IDS software. In other words, there was a software bug with IDS 75.01 that could brick one of your modules.

·
Registered
326 Posts
OK, I have a couple questions. Keep in mind, this is my first time dealing with a "TSB."

1. Should I schedule a special visit to the garage for this fix?
2. If so, what information should I have handy when I make the call to the service department?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Got to thinking and if the update was indeed released on Aug 5th why didn't Ford tell the people that were having issues that a update has been written and we are waiting for the software update so we can program the PCM/TCM? IMO it would have saved alot of negative reviews and filing problems with whatever we thought could help solve the issue and get our problems fixed.

Ford what were/are you thinking? Yeah we are a big company and we want to feel what it is like to drop from 5 to 23 in consumer ratings. I know if I was told there is a update coming and should be out by such a date then ok I can understand that and would wait for it.

Oh Shorty Long,

Yes make a appointment for this as it addresses several quirks to this transmission. Providing your vehicle was built on or before 08/12/11 there should not be a issue with getting it programmed. You can say it shudders, flares on shifting, flat spot on acceleration.

Montana

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
...I did the update a couple of weeks ago with no problems.
Just now I opened the TCM calibration file that was used for the update and found the following (in the file header):
Generated on Fri Aug 5 11:15:10 2011...
How can you find what IDS version you have?

·
Registered
166 Posts
How can you find what IDS version you have?
To my understanding the IDS (Integrated Diagnostic System) is software that is run off a laptop hooked up to the port on the vehicle to diagnose or program the vehicle. It is not something that is on the vehicle itself.

Montana

·
Registered
163 Posts
Have an appointment for the update on Nov. 11.

Can't wait to test it in S mode on the hills that manifest the RPM flares.

·
Registered
38 Posts
back from the dealer

Just got mine back from the dealership this morning. So far from the 5 miles in traffic drive to work, it does seem better, no more vibrating and the hesitation appears to be gone. I did try and lead foot it from a stop light and it was way more responsive than before. I know I need to do some more driving before I can say its "fixed" but so far so good.

My experience with my repair dept was good too. All I did was schedule an oil change and mention that I read here on ff that there was a software update on the transmission. I printed out the tsb from page one on this thread just incase. When I got to the dealer I told him about the tsb and that my car bogs from stop, and that was it, didn't charge me anything. They did have to keep my car overnight, they said they were required to break-in the transmission.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My wife's car is in now. Had to go in for the dealer to install the keyless entry. While it's in there I mentioned the TSB. They will also be looking at a "buzz" in the dash on slightly rough roads and the weird A/C operation. The wife should get it back this afternoon but I won't see her until late tonight. We never had the "shudder" or REALLY odd shifting but ambient temp reading was 70 at start up and it seemed to hunt for a gear once in a while. Any improvement in the tranny and I will be thrilled. Acceptable as is. The wife never even noticed it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just made my appointment for next week! The service manager didn't hassle me at all, although he knew I was there on a mission (I brought a printout of the TSB you guys listed just in case).

When asking if I was experiencing problems with the transmission, I just left it as "being unpredictable under certain conditions". Now I just have to wait.

Thanks guys. If it weren't for the forum, I would have never known about this. The transmission's quirkiness is really my only complaint about the car and I'm glad much of this is being addressed.[clap]

·
Registered
186 Posts
I called my dealer and they told me they'd have to road-test it and diagnose for themselves before they'd be willing to flash the software. 1-2 hours minimum. So instead of getting it done soon I'm going to wait for the first oil change and have them do it then (and bring a good book).

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I called my dealer and they told me they'd have to road-test it and diagnose for themselves before they'd be willing to flash the software. 1-2 hours minimum. So instead of getting it done soon I'm going to wait for the first oil change and have them do it then (and bring a good book).
That's what my dealer said, they turned me down twice before I talked to FordCustomerService (AKA Natasha) who had my complaint escalated to regional customer service, talked to engineering, and finally got the OK to go ahead with it.

They don't even have to order parts - it's all software! So I'm not sure what the big deal is unless it's just Ford Corporate won't reimburse the dealer's 1-2 hours of "warranty work." If that's the case, it's pretty stupid because they spent more time test driving my car / troubleshooting than they would have spent just doing the darn reprogramming from the start!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Be prepared to call their bluff if you have to. If the car is eligible, they should perform the service. After Consumer Reports' mention of the transmission, Ford publicly acknowledged that they are fixing it with a software upgrade. You have a right to that upgrade.

A big part of the description, even in the TSB, is that it deals with many "intermittent" problems. The definition of intermittent means that the problems are irregular, so a short drive may not reveal the issues that you are having with the car.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Be prepared to call their bluff if you have to. If the car is eligible, they should perform the service. After Consumer Reports' mention of the transmission, Ford publicly acknowledged that they are fixing it with a software upgrade. You have a right to that upgrade.

A big part of the description, even in the TSB, is that it deals with many "intermittent" problems. The definition of intermittent means that the problems are irregular, so a short drive may not reveal the issues that you are having with the car.
+1, they gave me the same speech, so I talked to a different service adviser and she put it on the work order for me.

Though, my car doesn't feel all that different, so either my car was much more behaved than the lot of you who have had the big issues, or they didn't flash my PCM/TCM.

·
Banned
127 Posts
Just got mine back from the dealership and i have to say what a difference this update makes. Shifts much smoother from 1st to 2nd , it holds the gears alittle longer and the shutter has minimized. My dealership is over 20 miles away so i had i chance to drive with it alittle while. My dealership gave me no objections when i asked them to do this update. Had oil change done too. Happy with the results. Now Ford needs to address the My Ford Touch issues,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
191 Posts
Took mine in to the dealer tonight to get it looked at. Thing smoothed out around 1600 miles and has been smooth as butter until suddenly around the 4000 mile mark it started acting like it did when I first got it again, like it was having to re-learn my habits. So took it in and after they drove it around a bit they came back and said they were going to do the update first thing tomorrow and drive it again to see if it smoothed out before they looked into other more serious issues. So here's to hoping it's smooth sailing ahead and the calibration update does the trick. Until I get her back I'm stuck in a Dodge Avenger rental they hooked me up with... Definitely glad I didn't buy one. It's loud, uninspired, and merely adequately trimmed.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
To anyone that is getting the TSB performed at the dealer:

Depending upon how well (or how thoroughly) the service person performs the adaptive learning function (which must be done after the new calibration), the transmission may perform better after a few days of normal driving.

In other words, you may want to wait for a few days before passing final judgment on the update.

61 - 80 of 3989 Posts