Focus Fanatics Forum banner

3981 - 3989 of 3989 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2015 Focus Titanium (66k miles)

Was shifting harshly, missing shifts, shuttering, check engine light on and if you went into "Sport" mode the light would not illuminate on the dash.

Took it to the dealer they determined it was a worn clutch and Shift Motor A.

Had both replaced and the issues are still there. Anyone have the same issues?

Tried to get a TCM but they are saying there were not any codes pulled calling for TCM replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 Focus SE Transmission or Clutch Failure

So many posts...

Has been quiet here since, 11/2018, so not sure anyone reads this anymore...

Anyway, my son had this happen this past Friday:
While sitting at a stop light took foot off brake and pressed the accelerator. At the top of 1st, transmission failed to shift into 2nd gear, and then shifted hard to 3rd. Then a message popped up that said "Friction element B had failed, and to service the car immediately". Was able to drive it home, but the drive was not normal. At home, we pulled a P07A4 code over the OBDII port.

Had it towed to the Ford dealership today, but have a few questions:
1) Have seen the class action law suit, but it looks like they are in appeal and no claims will be paid. There is a car and driver article from May that repeats this info. Is that still true?

2) The FordEtis site for my car lists the 14M02 as outstanding. Because of 1) above, it seems like Ford is not listing anything to do with the extended warranty for the transmission, is that true?

3) Is there any chance that Ford is going to fix this under warranty?

4) Anybody from Minneapolis area have a dealer that treated them well?

- Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I heard back from the dealer today, and I'm not covered. They said its a bad fork and throw out bearing along with an oil leak at the front of the engine. They want $3600...

I am having a hard time believing that the rough shifting doesn't cause this type of failure.

·
Registered
788 Posts
So I heard back from the dealer today, and I'm not covered. They said its a bad fork and throw out bearing along with an oil leak at the front of the engine. They want $3600...

I am having a hard time believing that the rough shifting doesn't cause this type of failure.
Make sure you have full coverage insurance watch the weather park it when a tornado is coming and let them total it out it's not worth fixing. You can buy a second generation Ford Focus for that price.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
FF Affiliate
30,369 Posts

You can buy these trans used cheap , put your TCM on it and keep driving it for much much less , you have to use your TCM because its programmed with your PCM

Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
2012 SE with 96K and 7yrs 7 months since new Trans failure message

My focus just started throwing the tarns failure service now message and really shuddering. Took it to Ford and was initial told I was covered and then called and told I was past 7 years (bought the car used). Car is seeping fluid so assume its the seals. Was getting the P07A4 and P2701 codes.

Waiting on regional customer relations person to contact me but already resigned to them telling me sorry.

Has anyone done the clutch and seal replacement at home without lifts? Any tips/ tricks?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My focus just started throwing the tarns failure service now message and really shuddering. Took it to Ford and was initial told I was covered and then called and told I was past 7 years (bought the car used). Car is seeping fluid so assume its the seals. Was getting the P07A4 and P2701 codes.

Waiting on regional customer relations person to contact me but already resigned to them telling me sorry.

Has anyone done the clutch and seal replacement at home without lifts? Any tips/ tricks?
same exact thing here. exact same symptoms. was this ever resolved? my car sitting at the dealer and im devistated and searching for any info at all that might help mitigate the cost. Im not counting on Ford to lift a finger...

·
Registered
349 Posts
same exact thing here. exact same symptoms. was this ever resolved? my car sitting at the dealer and im devistated and searching for any info at all that might help mitigate the cost. Im not counting on Ford to lift a finger...
Nope, the DPS6 is only slightly less defective than it was in 2011. They did revise the TCM and seals, and supposedly the clutch plates are made of a slightly improved material to help reduce wear. These probably helped a little, but the combination of bad software and poor design means it cannot be fixed without a total replacement.

Some folks have luck with Tom's tune from the software side, but it may not be worth the $462 if your clutches are too badly worn.

You can always call the DPS6-specific customer service line at 1-833-805-3673. I wouldn't count on much, but it can't hurt.

EDIT: You can also try the "scrubbing" the clutches if your issues are at all speeds (not just low speed / start-and-stop traffic). The idea is that over time, the clutches wear unevenly and therefore engage poorly, as evidenced by "chatter". Scrubbing the clutches may help to smooth out these marks and reduce the variation in thickness across the plate.

3981 - 3989 of 3989 Posts