Focus Fanatics Forum banner

3941 - 3960 of 3989 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,382 Posts
Why didn't the dealer you "stole" yours from just buy a tune from you instead and then sell the car for a better price to someone else? If they weren't interested before, now they sould be after seeing your results. [thumb]
Funny you asked that , As soon as I paid for the Focus the sales guy walked me out the the Focus , First thing I did was load my tune to it , just the base tune , sales guy asked me what I did , I told him I fixed the shudder , he laughed and said sure you did , He got in and we went for the same drive we did 2 times previous , 80% of the shudder gone and he was driving it , I took the service guy, 2 tech`s for a ride that had worked on the car and they were shocked , that dealer now buys my tunes , many of them , And I bought this MK3 just after I started making the DCT Tune

If you could do that repeatedly could you make a business out of "flipping" Mk3 Focuses with "bad" DCTs? Maybe you could even buy them cheap by the fleet from Ford dealers who don't know what to do with them. There must be a lot of them out there by now. (It'd be fun to slip a turbo kit into one or two along the way, too.)
There is and I sell to more dealers , used car lots then anyone now , I dont want to get into the used car business

"Ever", like with any of the past cases we've seen, or not ever, even with any future attempts?

If never, do you think that is because they don't intend to? Or that they want to but don't know how?

I don't remember it taking you very long to come up with your solution after you started looking into it seriously. Seems with all the talented engineers Ford has working for them they should be able to figure it out too.
My thoughts are they have had 5 years to fix this , they havent , why ? If I can get rid of the shudder or at least make it a LOT better on most why cant they ? Its a software issue not a parts issue yet they keep throwing parts at it
I dont know if Ford has a software engineer even working on it , I think there looking at parts only
I realize they could not commit to customizing the tune for each car individually like you do, but I've worked with many software designers over the years who could analyze what you have done and create software that could get a computer to do the same thing. Maybe that automation of what you do would not fit into the TCM, but it could at least be done off line I would think.
It would be easy for Ford to take my tune , load it , read the PCM/TCM see what I changed , incorporate it into a new update and be done , It would work as a canned/generic change for all and would still pass all required emissions and I could then read a ECM/TCM and see it in there my self by having customers send me a .bef files out of the xcal once they load a tune and I have been doing that and it isnt there yet , I would recognize it if it was

Tom

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Funny you asked that , As soon as I paid for the Focus the sales guy walked me out the the Focus , First thing I did was load my tune to it , just the base tune , sales guy asked me what I did , I told him I fixed the shudder , he laughed and said sure you did , He got in and we went for the same drive we did 2 times previous , 80% of the shudder gone and he was driving it , I took the service guy, 2 tech`s for a ride that had worked on the car and they were shocked , that dealer now buys my tunes , many of them , And I bought this MK3 just after I started making the DCT Tune ...
I'll bet that was fun. [hihi]

... There is and I sell to more dealers , used car lots then anyone now , I dont want to get into the used car business ...
I don't blame you. The DCTs would probably not be the only things that needed attention.

... My thoughts are they have had 5 years to fix this , they havent , why ? If I can get rid of the shudder or at least make it a LOT better on most why cant they ? Its a software issue not a parts issue yet they keep throwing parts at it
I dont know if Ford has a software engineer even working on it , I think there looking at parts only ...
That's depressing. Somehow they can take the Ford GT back to Le Mans after 50 years and win again, but are still shipping questionable DCTs in Focuses.

... It would be easy for Ford to take my tune , load it , read the PCM/TCM see what I changed , incorporate it into a new update and be done , It would work as a canned/generic change for all and would still pass all required emissions and I could then read a ECM/TCM and see it in there my self by having customers send me a .bef files out of the xcal once they load a tune and I have been doing that and it isnt there yet , I would recognize it if it was

Tom
The lawyers probably wouldn't let them do it even in a lab, let alone in a customer's car. Big companies I've worked for were really touchy about any intellectual property liabilities. Don't know whether you'd have grounds to sue over that if they did it, but I think corporate lawyers usually try to avoid discovering the answer to that kind of question.

·
Registered
111 Posts
New TSB Issued confirming ford.oemdtc.com Report

Wow - not sure how this went unnoticed for so long! It's been installed on build dates after 6 Nov 2015.

New clutch part number is: F1FZ-7B546-B

DPS6 Transmission Have A New Clutch Available For Service ? 2011-2016 Ford Fiesta & 2012-2016 Focus | ford.oemdtc.com
See my post #1553 in the other forum thread.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/mk3-tsb-recall-problems-archive/455833-14m01-ford-dual-clutch-warranty-extension-details-new-tsb-clutch-parts-156.html [?|]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Any assistance in getting my DCT looked at by my dealer? I had the computer replaced last year and it solved a lot of my issues but recently the tranny has been skipping. I checked the diagnostic menu and have 3 transmission error codes now.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Assistance with what, from whom?

Random odd request in a random location....

If you're looking for Ford reps, they haven't been active recently, and def. can't 'assist' with anything if your car hasn't BEEN to a Dealer. Main function of them is to mediate Customer/Dealer relations when there's a communication issue.

The telephone Customer Assistance is always avail., but it's not a 'tech' line for Customers.

Guesses from members would be aided by actual codes, and doesn't really fit in this thread. That's typical for DCT comments, they end up anywhere it's mentioned at all.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Any assistance in getting my DCT looked at by my dealer? I had the computer replaced last year and it solved a lot of my issues but recently the tranny has been skipping. I checked the diagnostic menu and have 3 transmission error codes now.
If your Focus tranny is throwing codes, you should have no problem getting the dealers service dept to look at it. Don't be discouraged by all the posts you have read here, it is always worth a try.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yep agree--only problem I've been waiting over a month for a clutchpack--what gives here ? Ford should be fined per diem!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got a 2013 Focus SE Hatch with 55k miles. Had my first Transmission Error - Service Now message come on today after driving it a couple of times early in the day. It came one straight from starting the car. Seems to go no further than second gear. The manual/sport shift mode doesn't even function. I stopped and turned the car off and re-started it but didn't change things. I was able to drive back to my office, topping it out at 35mph and about 2500rpm's.

I've experienced the shuddering since I've owned the car and have gotten somewhat used to it, as it's been sporadic in my ownership. I know the dealer extended the tranny warranty but I'm wary of going there since for so long they feigned ignorance on the possibility of there being a transmission issue all along. And on the flip side, I've got a really great transmission shop locally, but if there's a good chance the dealer will remedy the problem on their dime, I'd rather go that route.

Anyone have thoughts or experienced this and what transpired as a result?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Take it to a Ford Dealer

I've got a 2013 Focus SE Hatch with 55k miles. Had my first Transmission Error - Service Now message come on today after driving it a couple of times early in the day. It came one straight from starting the car. Seems to go no further than second gear. The manual/sport shift mode doesn't even function. I stopped and turned the car off and re-started it but didn't change things. I was able to drive back to my office, topping it out at 35mph and about 2500rpm's.

I've experienced the shuddering since I've owned the car and have gotten somewhat used to it, as it's been sporadic in my ownership. I know the dealer extended the tranny warranty but I'm wary of going there since for so long they feigned ignorance on the possibility of there being a transmission issue all along. And on the flip side, I've got a really great transmission shop locally, but if there's a good chance the dealer will remedy the problem on their dime, I'd rather go that route.

Anyone have thoughts or experienced this and what transpired as a result?
I suspect that your TCM has gone south so you definitely need to take it to a Ford dealer as it is a warranty repair that will be covered.

My impression is that the Ford dealers are not soft pedaling these repairs because they are good service income and Ford has clarified the failure conditions and modes. My daughter just had her Fiesta's clutch replaced and the dealer welcomed her with open arms even though the car was originally purchased in another state.

·
Registered
28 Posts
bestfocusowner-
I ended up taking it in to the dealer last night. I called in the afternoon and they said I could drop it off but they weren't even booking appointments until Friday (my wife has one set for Thursday and she tried scheduling it on Monday). When I dropped it off I told them I didn't have an appointment but what was going on and told them it was barely driveable. The service person said she hoped they could do the diagnostics on it last night (service dept is open until midnight 4 nights a week) and maybe get it worked on today.
I ended up getting a phone call this morning that the work was complete (TCM replacement) and I could pick it up any time. Quite a difference from the previous appointments there.

Now, time to consider picking up a tune from Tom......!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quick TCM Replacement

bestfocusowner-
I ended up taking it in to the dealer last night. I called in the afternoon and they said I could drop it off but they weren't even booking appointments until Friday (my wife has one set for Thursday and she tried scheduling it on Monday). When I dropped it off I told them I didn't have an appointment but what was going on and told them it was barely driveable. The service person said she hoped they could do the diagnostics on it last night (service dept is open until midnight 4 nights a week) and maybe get it worked on today.
I ended up getting a phone call this morning that the work was complete (TCM replacement) and I could pick it up any time. Quite a difference from the previous appointments there.

Great to hear that your dealer was able to take care of this pretty quickly. I know that TCM availability has been spotty historically. I know that a year ago they were on back order.

·
Registered
148 Posts
bestfocusowner-

If your clutch is shuddering you'll want to get it replaced while it is still under warranty (100K or 7 years), unless you like spending your own money to remedy Ford's errors. Get Tom's tune also, but definitely do the new clutch first.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Keep us posted on how things work out...does anyone have a "B" clutch? Is this the solution finally? Please post...thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the clutch introduced late 2016, I think it is referred to as "B" clutch. It was installed about 6 months ago, Tom's tune was applied about one month after the clutch install for good measure. So far it has been very good, although the mileage is only about 5K.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have the clutch introduced late 2016, I think it is referred to as "B" clutch. It was installed about 6 months ago, Tom's tune was applied about one month after the clutch install for good measure. So far it has been very good, although the mileage is only about 5K.
Please keep us all posted as the weeks and months go by. In the past with other versions, they would eventually come back with the same problems or worse.

Fingers crossed on your experience.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Please keep us all posted as the weeks and months go by. In the past with other versions, they would eventually come back with the same problems or worse.

Fingers crossed on your experience.
This is true, I had the "F" clutch before, which I think was the previous version and had it replaced after about 20K miles, of which only 10K provided acceptable non-shuddering service.

I like the DCT when it works, but so far it has been a disappointment. I'm hoping Tom's tune provides an extra measure of quick engagement to let the new clutch live a long life.

If the clutch fails again I'll have Ford replace it, then sell the car at quite a loss I'm sure. I just don't need this kind of hassle. I have another high-performance "project car" to monopolize my mechanical attention, and am completely unwilling to waste effort on what is supposed to be trouble-free economical transport that I paid a pretty good price for.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
My car still has the original TCM/Clutches from OCT 2011. Nothing but good things to say about it. Even the original TCM software was perfect.

They added the "updated" TCM software (even though I asked them not to) and now it shifts so lethargic.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
My car still has the original TCM/Clutches from OCT 2011. Nothing but good things to say about it. Even the original TCM software was perfect.

They added the "updated" TCM software (even though I asked them not to) and now it shifts so lethargic.
Glad to hear a success story, sorry they messed with it. Great sporty, quick and economical car when the DCT is running right

·
Registered
9 Posts
2015 Focus - clutch failed

My 2015 Focus Titanium (26K miles) started the dreaded transmission stuttering. It's been getting worse over the past 2K miles or so. Local Ford dealer looked at it today. This is what they report:

"26059 performed TCM adaptive learning then graphed vehicle using DSP6 shudder concern in IDS. I then uploaded the readings to WSM and clutch failed. Got RCV code RP4ALUU0NRY3Q- 971 **REPLACEMENT NEEDED, FOLLOW UP APPT WILL BE BOOKED FOR REPLACEMENT**"

Anything else I should ask about or be concerned with? I have had a TCM (Transmission Control Module) replacement on the 2012 I own. That one failed after a transmission software update and it left me stranded (read about it here if you'd like).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is this what's happening to my Focus. At low speeds, shortly after accelerating from a stop, it will kick into acceleration like I'm gunning it but I'm not.

3941 - 3960 of 3989 Posts