Focus Fanatics Forum banner

261 - 280 of 3989 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
cbsel, there is a period of time/miles on car when the DCT should "break in" too. Usually after the 1000 miles you should no longer experience what you experience now (or a lot more less). It is not the fact that DCT "learns" your driving style during this period, but the DCT "learns" to shift. This is why I advise you to play with the it and not keep it at steady speeds. Change while driving from D to S and then back again after some miles, play even with the rocker-shifter. This way, the DCT will become smoother and more responsive. I did this with mine and almost all the time it is responsive and great (acting like a real manual tranny with an electronic clutch). I did experienced some "revs" when changing from driving at a steady speed for a while to pushing hard on the DCT, it takes a couple of seconds to respond, but the same is for an normal automatic tranny. So, this is my advice to you. If after the 1000 miles or so, you see no changes, go talk to your dealer !

·
Registered
343 Posts
well mine is in for other problems plus the TSB update BUT....it brought in a sheet with the full TSB on it and he said he wouldnt look at it. He didnt achknowledge it when I tried to show him and point out how I had the same issues. He told me to jsut tell him my problems so I did in detail...and I mean detail. After that all he wrote down on the service sheet was rough idle/ vibration...I was like wtf. What about my hesitation and shuddering when acceleration and decelerating, RPM flares, and bad jerking at low speeds. I was very thrown off about how he said he wouldn't look at my sheet. I fear they will just say its normal.
I would have given him two options at that point:

A Drop the attitude and pay attention to what I'm telling you
B Let me speak to your supervisor.

I would consider looking for a dealership that is more attentive to their customers.

·
Registered
468 Posts
cbsel, there is a period of time/miles on car when the DCT should "break in" too. Usually after the 1000 miles you should no longer experience what you experience now (or a lot more less). It is not the fact that DCT "learns" your driving style during this period, but the DCT "learns" to shift. This is why I advise you to play with the it and not keep it at steady speeds. Change while driving from D to S and then back again after some miles, play even with the rocker-shifter. This way, the DCT will become smoother and more responsive. I did this with mine and almost all the time it is responsive and great (acting like a real manual tranny with an electronic clutch). I did experienced some "revs" when changing from driving at a steady speed for a while to pushing hard on the DCT, it takes a couple of seconds to respond, but the same is for an normal automatic tranny. So, this is my advice to you. If after the 1000 miles or so, you see no changes, go talk to your dealer !
I pretty much followed all of that and it wasn't until AFTER 1k miles that the shudder appeared.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I pretty much followed all of that and it wasn't until AFTER 1k miles that the shudder appeared.
Hmmm, strange. I did the same and I don't feel the shudder anymore. In fact, my car in trafic, now at 4500 km on board, when I depress the break, will slowly move forward without shuddering and without me pushing on the gas pedal. Like a manual tranny that is in the first gear, with the clutch pedal half pressed but without pushing on the gas pedal, if you know the feeling.

When I had the shudder (2 or 3 times) I pushed a bit harder on the gas. What I also did was another thing: never pushed on the gas pedal the second the green light is lit (at a redlight stop). I waited a half second and then push gradually on the pedal. It was working and it works now very well for me. I can't say it will work for everyone. But it does for me and my tranny is running smooth almost 99% of the time (nothing is perfect [:0])

P.S. Is it possible the shudder appeared after 1k miles because you are trying to get great mpg and you use a feather-foot on the gas ? I'd say to you to not worry too much for the mpg at this stage, they will become more and more consistent as the car gets more mileage. Mine (if you look at my fuelly) is getting better and better mileage with the "miles on board" adding up. Last fillup was 31.5 mpg while my first (after the break in period) was 27 mpg even less. And I run the same "route" (to office and back + some week-end activities in the city) on winter tires, lower temperatures and 70mph on highway (mostly). Sometimes I go up to 75+ and still the mpg improves.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hmmm, strange. I did the same and I don't feel the shudder anymore. In fact, my car in trafic, now at 4500 km on board, when I depress the break, will slowly move forward without shuddering and without me pushing on the gas pedal. Like a manual tranny that is in the first gear, with the clutch pedal half pressed but without pushing on the gas pedal, if you know the feeling.

When I had the shudder (2 or 3 times) I pushed a bit harder on the gas. What I also did was another thing: never pushed on the gas pedal the second the green light is lit (at a redlight stop). I waited a half second and then push gradually on the pedal. It was working and it works now very well for me. I can't say it will work for everyone. But it does for me and my tranny is running smooth almost 99% of the time (nothing is perfect [:0])

P.S. Is it possible the shudder appeared after 1k miles because you are trying to get great mpg and you use a feather-foot on the gas ? I'd say to you to not worry too much for the mpg at this stage, they will become more and more consistent as the car gets more mileage. Mine (if you look at my fuelly) is getting better and better mileage with the "miles on board" adding up. Last fillup was 31.5 mpg while my first (after the break in period) was 27 mpg even less. And I run the same "route" (to office and back + some week-end activities in the city) on winter tires, lower temperatures and 70mph on highway (mostly). Sometimes I go up to 75+ and still the mpg improves.
So there may be some hope, without paying for the high priced spread? I'll continue to use 89 octane for a few more tanks (if I continue to get smooth shifts) and continue my break-in efforts during that time - then I'll switch back to the economy stuff and run a few tanks through it to see how she goes. I only put about a hundred fifty miles a week on the car so it might take a while.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Re: Ford rushes to fix gearbox problems

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a call from ford on thursday. my new focus was labouring at low speeds because the transmission was in too high a gear. when the engine got hot there was a loud rattle(chatter) comming from the gearbox. i finally got the service manager to drive one for few days and he rang me agreeing that there was a problem and would take it up witht the ford reps. ford rang and said that the issues were a characteristic of the transmission when driven un der certain conditions and any part changes would have no effect. they are therefore not going to do anything about it. i told them to stick their cars up their buma nd everybody i speek to i will advise not to buy the heap of [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* focus or any other ford. this is the third time ford have done this to me over the years. i am going to contact as many car mags as i can and tell them about what has been going on with this car and fords arrogance in not doing anything fix it by saying it is a characteristic.
i am also going to see what trade in i can get on the new cruze hatch.
i also asked whether ford australia read the forums and was told no they do not. there is also no way to get to management at ford you can only go through the customer relations dept. the dealers also have no power whats so ever.
ford have lost me for ever
just a few more points . i use the high octane premium fuel fuel no change to gearing negligible extra fuel economy. do not let them con you they are really not bothering to do anything. this latest tsb was put through my car and no real improvement. i have now done 6500kilometers and the problem is getting worse.

·
Registered
291 Posts
what is the TSB number you had installed? You can find it on the paperwork.

if you didn't notice a change in the shift points, then it's not the same TSB as in the US. The TSB for the US cars is quite a noticeable improvement and noticeable change in shift points.

a Nov '11 review of the Focus by the New Zealand Herald said "The Sport comes only with the dual-clutch Powershift gearbox - it takes some getting used to, but it's smoother than the Volkswagen/Audi DSG system in urban running" "It's a brilliant new model, with a level of build quality and chassis sophistication that puts it absolutely at the top tier of small cars."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10767725

·
Registered
25 Posts
flingwing1969,

While the issues I've been having have gotten better they aren't gone. So I'm willing to give most of those a chance.

However, the length of time it takes for this car to respond from an emergency braking procedure to immediate acceleration is not something I've experienced before. The automatic transmissions I've driven in the past have always responded a lot quicker than this car does.

We should not let Ford tell us that a several second response time is normal. Should there be a short delay, of course. In fact I've had 1 dealership tell me it wasn't but there was nothing they could do about it and another tell me it was. So who am I to believe?

Other than the transmission response I do like this car. I think if Ford gets this transmission worked out that it would be a great little car to drive. It's just that response time of the transmission worries me a little.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
cbsel, how do you rode your car before the 1600 miles mark ? Because there is a very important thing to know : the way you drove your tranny through all the rpms in that period, it is the way it will respond to whatever action you'll take in the future. You put your TSB on your tranny = reset it, so drive it hard and play with it (all the spectrum of rpms before red-line) for at least 1000 miles. Forget about great mpg, if not you'll be stuck on the same situation as today. At least this is how I drove mine and I am glad with DCT now.

P.S. When I floored an automatic after a quick break, I always had a 2 seconds of a "what a f...k moment" when nothing happen, no throttle, nothing. Never had this moment with my DCT though. It may be because instead of trying to drive it like an automatic, I learnt to drive my DCT ? Maybe yes, maybe no. I hope you'll learn your car and enjoy it as I do ! [thumb]

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was dropping my car off for an oil change today and also had them do the TSB on the transmission. I had to give the service adviser the the TSB number, but didn't have any problems getting them to perform the work. Wow, big difference. Being that I live in San Francisco and we have borderline crazy hills, my transmission has been outright confused at times and even stalled once starting out on a really steep grade. I only drove it home from the dealership which is about 7 miles, but the difference is pretty big. Shift points seem to be at a much higher RPM than before and the car doesn't jerk or shudder at all anymore.

·
Registered
343 Posts
cbsel, how do you rode your car before the 1600 miles mark ? Because there is a very important thing to know : the way you drove your tranny through all the rpms in that period, it is the way it will respond to whatever action you'll take in the future. You put your TSB on your tranny = reset it, so drive it hard and play with it (all the spectrum of rpms before red-line) for at least 1000 miles. Forget about great mpg, if not you'll be stuck on the same situation as today. At least this is how I drove mine and I am glad with DCT now.

P.S. When I floored an automatic after a quick break, I always had a 2 seconds of a "what a f...k moment" when nothing happen, no throttle, nothing. Never had this moment with my DCT though. It may be because instead of trying to drive it like an automatic, I learnt to drive my DCT ? Maybe yes, maybe no. I hope you'll learn your car and enjoy it as I do ! [thumb]
I've owned mine for 3 days now. At times I drive it like I stole it. Other times I drive it sedately. So far the transmission is performing better than I had expected. Nice firm shifts!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well my car is going in for the TSB tomorrow and I will say the service advisor was rather reluctant to even schedule the appointment.

Of the conditions mentioned in the TSB the only one I can say I've had happen is the refusal too upshift. Tho the refusal too upshift happened when trying to accelerate too merge with traffic.

They are all also saying if they can't find anything wrong I will have to pay to have the TSB applied. Talk about irritating makes me wonder whether that particular SA was pms'ing.

It's kind of funny that they also couldn't find the TSB till I brought the specific TSB number back too them. It's a TSB too improve the cars drivability and they want me to pay for it, or at least that's the general feeling I was getting from this particular SA.

[rant]The whole if they can't find anything wrong with it........ do they drive this car every day. Yes some of the issue's in the TSB have come up but I'm auto savvy enough to salvage the situation. I dunno but just the way it was approached made me want to start yelling and saying certain choice words to the SA. I was pretty [mad], and when I do get really mad I tend too turn into a raging [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]. Tho, I realize tearing a strip off the SA might not have been good mostly due to the vibe I was getting off her of passive dismissal.

The real kicker is the next nearest dealer is 150km away so I'd have to go a hell of a long way for service. Honestly if I have a choice I'll just use one of the other 2 SA's in the future.[rant]

·
Registered
60 Posts
Question for those that already got the tsb applied, what does your invoice show?

Had mine done supposedly - this is what it says:
11e03 reprogram the PCM with revised two step procedure and perform adaptive learning.

Thanks

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
314 Posts
Question for those that already got the tsb applied, what does your invoice show?

Had mine done supposedly - this is what it says:
11e03 reprogram the PCM with revised two step procedure and perform adaptive learning.

Thanks

Posted via FF Mobile
That's the emission recall TSB ... not sure if this TSB does the same improvements that 11-10-02 covers for the drive-ability issues. This is a good post because a lot of people don't read the TSB or the reciept from the service dept and may assume the emission TSB 11E03 is the same as the 11-10-02.

Even though both TSB's are PCM (powertrain control module) updates I'm pretty sure they are for different issues. One question for Ford would be does 11E03 include latest update for TCM (transmission control module) since 11-10-02 TSB was designed mostly as a TCM update.

I am going in for my 11-10-02 update (car was built in May) this weekend; and to find out about the 11E03 emission recall since CA requires that by law, so I will report back what I find out about the difference between these two PCM update TSB's.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ever since the update my car's transmission has been absolutely horrid. Under easy acceleration it revs the engine over 4,000 rpms before shifting, the transmission clunks and grinds fairly frequently under normal driving condition, has pretty rough kick downs when I go to over take someone and just feels poorly programmed. I am not exactly happy, the morose gearbox before at least worked kinda.

·
Registered
324 Posts
flingwing1969,

However, the length of time it takes for this car to respond from an emergency braking procedure to immediate acceleration is not something I've experienced before. The automatic transmissions I've driven in the past have always responded a lot quicker than this car does.
I'm not sure under what circumstances I would want to suddenly accelerate after performing emergency braking. After coming to an urgent stop, I want a few seconds to look around me and regain command of the situation before surging off again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The updated software has been really fantastic so far even tho the dealership was not happy about having to do that and me having to mention I have a warranty for exactly that reason. At least the tech was on my side there.

Anyway after I got it back I simulated a condition that had left the transmission confused before and had it refuse too upshift, hit the brakes hard as if in an emergency breaking situation then needing to get back on the gas suddenly.

Well when I hit the brakes I was at forty dropped to 20 hit the gas the cars program quickly figured out my intent (IE emergency avoidance.) and dumped the clutch all I can say whoa looked down and I was @ 100 km/h suffice it too say I backed off the throttle quickly but it now reacts more intuitively.

Also when you get the update the transmission goes through another period of adaptive learning.

One nice thing I have noticed now is the shift's between gears are always @ 2500 rpm now when going easy on the gas were as before they varied from 1800 too 2200 rpm which is too early.

(Yes this was on a hi way wasn't other traffic but yes I have had too do that before trust me I have days where I can't figure out how the [:)][:)][:)][:)] some people got there license seeing as they lack the sense part oft it.)

·
Registered
468 Posts
The updated software has been really fantastic so far even tho the dealership was not happy about having to do that and me having to mention I have a warranty for exactly that reason. At least the tech was on my side there.

Anyway after I got it back I simulated a condition that had left the transmission confused before and had it refuse too upshift, hit the brakes hard as if in an emergency breaking situation then needing to get back on the gas suddenly.

Well when I hit the brakes I was at forty dropped to 20 hit the gas the cars program quickly figured out my intent (IE emergency avoidance.) and dumped the clutch all I can say whoa looked down and I was @ 100 km/h suffice it too say I backed off the throttle quickly but it now reacts more intuitively.

Also when you get the update the transmission goes through another period of adaptive learning.

One nice thing I have noticed now is the shift's between gears are always @ 2500 rpm now when going easy on the gas were as before they varied from 1800 too 2200 rpm which is too early.

(Yes this was on a hi way wasn't other traffic but yes I have had too do that before trust me I have days where I can't figure out how the [:)][:)][:)][:)] some people got there license seeing as they lack the sense part oft it.)
You don't have to be speeding along and slam on the brakes then floor it to have this happen. I've had it happen now three times with an October car. All three times I was cruising at 35 to 40, a car or line of cars was stopped or slowing significantly in front of me and the lane to my right was lightly occupied. I braked to slow for the traffic in front of me, waited for the two or three cars in the right lane to clear, then lightly hit the gas as I turned into the right lane and the tranny either upshifted, or missed a shift and I momentarily got no go but high RPMs.

I don't commute any more, but this sort of maneuver is very common during a commute where one is attempting to get into an HOV lane brake, or other slow traffic lane changes. I'll try it a few more times, and then talk to my dealer, if I can replicate the event.

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Reprogrammed PCM and TCM TSB 11-10-2 - Runs better but I still have a rough idle and shuddering, will give it more time though.

261 - 280 of 3989 Posts