Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ever since i bought my 2013 Focus Se with DCT i find it incredibly hard not to spin the tires. on my winter tires its even worse.

I can preety much spin my tires after every stop with what i consider medium acceleration.

Im never hammering the peddle. I let go of the brake then onto the gas and spin spin spin!!

Does anyone else have this issue?

Its very frustrating!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Only an issue with me when the roads are wet, if its dry I usually grip and rip.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval AS tires spin only when the road is quite wet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not a problem here, wet or dry. It will jerk sometimes but that's an issue that's already been beaten to death in other threads.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I never spin the tires on my 2012 SE five speed. Buut then I am driving rather snail like off the line.
I wouldguess if you are drag racing off each stop. You would get spin..(I am being funny here hah hah)
The MK3 is no torque monster.. I wonder how hard is the op hitting the gas off the line??

So far in 400 miles on my brand new ST, I have only had some wheelspin twice. And both of those times I was annoyed and rather deliberately over gassing it..
So I would hazard the issue is in the right foot of the driver, rather than a problem with the car.
technique?? [slap]

·
Registered
990 Posts
To me the dct has a super short 1st gear which causes some torque amplification. When it get cold here in Chicago I have a hard time. The stock tires on the SE aren't that great either.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Yes unintentionally I will get wheel spin on wet, sandy, snowy, or icy roads even when trying my best to creep onto the throttle. Just a short first gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't you have traction control? I thought it was standard.
I have one intersection I go through everyday. Uphill, left turn off camber, slick pavement. The TC hits almost every time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Own 2 -2014 Focus se hatchbacks & no, not a problem with traction...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes, I even chirp the tires sometimes on damp roads when simultaneously turning.
I'm a spirited driver, but even at quarter throttle it will do it right off the line sometimes. It depends how it feels like taking off, if it wants to be proud of having a dry clutch or is in a torque-converter mood :p

·
Registered
845 Posts
Very very rarely unless it is slick, and when I did the TC would kick in. And I had worn down stock conti's. Take it easy on the throttle.

I had a rental car a few weeks back ('13 impala limited) and I was doing unintentional (sometimes [hihi]) burnouts CONSTANTLY. The thing took off like a damn rocket. Sometimes you just have to match your driving style to the car, it's not a problem with the DCT.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've noticed that I can easily overwhelm the tires if I am not careful when pulling away from a stop if it is anything but warm and dry out. The snow tires are even worse, which surprised me, I figured they would have better traction...

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I've noticed that I can easily overwhelm the tires if I am not careful when pulling away from a stop if it is anything but warm and dry out. The snow tires are even worse, which surprised me, I figured they would have better traction...
They have better traction below 40F and on snow/ ice, but on warm dry pavement they would have less ultimate grip.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I notice this often with mine. it sucks because i only have 11K on the clock and my tires are getting worn out. I dont drag race it at all. I read that getting a better rear motor mount can help with wheel hop so i'm thinking about doing that.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
For me in the winter... it's wheel spin (WOT) until I reach the highway [grinking]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Two words:

Throttle Control

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I did some test yesterday since it was the first day we had -15°C outside. My winter tire don't spin at all at -15°C - with minimum or maximum throttle (in this case you hear the sound of tire spinning but for a small fraction of time, like 0.01s...).

However, when it's 5°C outside, with winter tire also, they don't spin with minimum throttle. But, once I apply just a little bit more, they spin all the time for a good second.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i find its worse on turns.

To the guy who suggested throttle control ... when its a choice of the tranny bucking the crap out of you cause of gear selection theres only so much you can do.

I dont floor it. I figured its just the short 1st gear but man i hate that feeling when you spin the tires. its like everyone is looking at you thinking your a crazy driver lol.

25% throttle you can still spin on a corner from a stop.

I also find the ABS to be overly sensitive as well. Once theres a light coating of snow even with snow tires i slide like crazy. well maybe slide is the wrong word. i ABS shutter all the way . It just doesnt want to grab the tires.

at least im not the only one lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts