Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13 mklll titanium says the trans is overheating while I'm doing 70-75 on the highway???? BS??? Or something to be concerned about????

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
351 Posts
Well, the DCT auto trans that's in most of the Mk3 Focuses have had many issues. Overheating is one of them. It may have a worn out clutch if you have about 100k miles. If it's a low mileage car then take it to them to diagnose. They may cover it under one of the extended transmission warranties but being a 2013 likely not.
What's the mileage?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's at 133,xxx. And it did it yesterday on my way to work (3:30 pm) (30 miles) 28 of that is highway. But didn't do it on my way home. (12:30 am) I'll just take it to Ford. I think the extended warrantee is to 150k?

·
Registered
351 Posts
If the clutch hasn't ever been replaced then your are pretty much overdue. It's rare for them to even go past 125k miles on these DCT transmissions no less a regular manual trans That would explain the overheating while cruising at speed.
The extended warranty is for the TCM and seal for 10yr/150k miles. I do believe the warranty for the clutch was extended but your car is at 133k and I don't think that it went past 100k as it is a wearable part.
A clutch replacement will be about $1200 or so depending on the dealer and that's if they can get their hands on one. There's a backorder that I hear people speaking of and the clutch is only available from Ford as I understand.
There's a few recalls for 2013 so have Ford do them while it's in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Thanks Cobra. I appreciate your help. It did it again today and then after awhile it came back up and said it was ready to go. Lol all the while with the cruise set at 75. Smh. I need to just find a titanium 5 spd manual and forget it. Lol

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes, I looked for a manual as well but they're rare unless you buy an ST or a bare bones S. With a brand new clutch and everything else updated in the trans then you might get another 100k

·
Registered
321 Posts
Do your RPMs fluctuate while cruising? It seems odd that it would complain of overheating while maintaining a constant speed. It shouldn't be slipping (purposely) while driving like that. The transmission doesn't contain a temperature sensor there, and uses an algorithm to determine what the clutch temp is. The TCM may be thinking your clutch is slipping (whether it is or not) and making it think the temp is high.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have noticed a slight fluctuation. Sometimes its at 2750 rooms and sometimes it's at 2500. I'm wondering if the outside temp has anything to with it?because it's usually on my way to work in the afternoon and not so much on my way home at midnight. Idk. Lol.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ambient temp is definitely a consideration when calculating the clutch temperature. Obviously something is wrong, as I've driven on the highway in close to 100º weather without any problems. I've been fortunate to not have any transmission issues yet at 123k, but I know they're coming. There isn't really any way to know if the TCM is bugging out or it's actually a clutch failure, but at that mileage I'd put money on the clutch. Let us know what the dealership says.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well so far they have replaced the tcm and I've replaced the actuators. I've started looking for a wrecked ST to just do a swap and forget it all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it possible that it will go into limp mode while I'm driving it? With this issue.

·
Registered
321 Posts
There's no telling. If you've already replaced parts and it is still acting up I'd suspect the actual clutch may be toast. Did they inspect the clutch when they replaced the actuators?

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is caused by a bad module. I have 42,000 miles on my car and I am having the same issue. I will be replacing my module this week and reprogramming it and then that should stop. It's not really overheating at all as the trans does not have a temp sensor in it so there is no way for the car to know this. Its just written in the firmware to say this so you get it to the dealer to get it fixed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where is this module and where do i get one? How much is it? Is it hard to program? Ie special tolls etc etc?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Is it possible that it will go into limp mode while I'm driving it? With this issue.
Yes, it is very possible.
Like I said in the beginning here it's almost certainly your clutch. The trouble code, the mileage, and the actual symptoms all point to it. The reason it slips at cruising speed on the highway is because its so worn. When the trans detects more slippage than what is typically supposed to be it will send the overheat code. You're lucky that the clutch made it to 133k miles. Most start to go 10-30k or more miles earlier than yours. It's really no different than any manual trans clutch except that it can wear even faster because of the automated nature of it engaging and disengaging the clutch to make it feel like it's a conventional hydraulic automatic.
The TCM could very well shorten the life of the clutch but it's probably not the TCM itself causing the warning and slippage at speed in gear.

·
Registered
351 Posts
This is caused by a bad module. I have 42,000 miles on my car and I am having the same issue. I will be replacing my module this week and reprogramming it and then that should stop. It's not really overheating at all as the trans does not have a temp sensor in it so there is no way for the car to know this. Its just written in the firmware to say this so you get it to the dealer to get it fixed.
The TCM has it's own particular quirks when it needs a reflash or replacement.
The Ford warranty on the TCM and seal was extended on all Focuses to 10yr/150k miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts