Focus Fanatics Forum banner
101 - 108 of 108 Posts
...But seriously.. what's the cost of a new clutch on these things?
Thought I saw on this site, parts + labor at Ford is approximately $2k. Remember, Ford service procedures have a calibration that (must be?) is done after replacement.

I don't know if any non-Ford service can do the calibration.

Well I dropped the car off this morning to have it checked and was told that it may be Tuesday before they can even look at it.

I got a call back from the dealership around 3:30 saying it was done, they found that there was an update to the TCM and PCM(?) which they updated and it's fine now...I guess we'll see.

In my experience and observation clutch problems appear pretty early in a DCT's life. We would've heard about widespread problems in '14s by now. My '12 was shuddering pretty badly by 1,500 miles. At 15,000 miles my '14 has had virtually no shuddering (very mild on occaision) and hasn't been to the dealer once.
Well, I have a 14, build date 01/14, 17k miles, and have the shudder during 1st to 2nd transition. I have had the shudder since new, it got a little better between 10k and 15k, but then it came back. Went to the dealer for the shudder test, got the usual; first, trans reset, second, shudder determined to be under 250 and therefore within specs, the last time, over 250 and clutch is to be replaced. Now I have to wait 3 months for the clutch pack to be available, since its supposedly in back order. Meagan has had my case escalated, hopefully that will bring the wait time to something more reasonable.

I find this whole issue with the clutch packs to be such a roll of the dice for prospective buyers, who are given the line at the time of test drive "The transmission will smooth out with more miles." Many are fortunate to get a good clutch and never experience shudders or jerks, but then there are those of us that got the bad side of the draw, I guess there has to be some inconsistency in build quality over at Luk. The motivation of me buying a dct is that I actually drove a 2012 for months as a company car, and the clutch pack in that thing was perfect, even for being a much abused fleet car with over 30k miles. At any case, I am done gambling with the resale value of my cars, as soon as this gets fixed, I am knocking down the car note just enough to trade in with out being upside down, and you best believe the next car will not be any sort of dual clutch, and very unlikely to be a Ford.

Well, I have a 14, build date 01/14, 17k miles, and have the shudder during 1st to 2nd transition. I have had the shudder since new, it got a little better between 10k and 15k, but then it came back.
Exactly my point. If your DCT is going to have problems they'll likely show up in the beginning.

I am done gambling with the resale value of my cars, as soon as this gets fixed, I am knocking down the car note just enough to trade in with out being upside down, and you best believe the next car will not be any sort of dual clutch, and very unlikely to be a Ford.
Ha ha, how does this make sense? You won't gamble with the possibility your resale value will be low in the future so you're going to lock in your high depreciation now? With any car your average depreciation per year decreases the longer you own it. My '12 Focus' depreciation was about $2,500 per year; very reasonable and in line with all other cars I've owned.

And your best bet with a non-Ford is any car whose powertrain has remained unchanged for several years. Other companies have problems with new transmissions (or new applications of existing transmissions) too. Nissan has had mega trouble with the Pathfinder's CVT. And the ZF 9-speed has been very problematic in multiple applications: Chrysler 200, Jeep Cherokee and Renegade, Acura TLX. Wonder if Honda will somehow get it right in the next gen Pilot out next month. Jeep just stopped selling the Renegade this week to fix the transmission's software. Welcome to the world of new technologies to meet ever-increasing fuel economy requirements.

I'm on 65K miles now, (just under 1000 miles since I bought it), and no idea if it's had a clutch change. I might pop into Garnet Ford on the way home and find out (I assume they can run the VIN to check these things and service history.)...
Hi Scougar,

Let me know how the dealer visit goes! I saw you mention a bit of a delay when you hit the break, are you experiencing any other transmission symptoms?

Well I dropped the car off this morning to have it checked and was told that it may be Tuesday before they can even look at it.

I got a call back from the dealership around 3:30 saying it was done, they found that there was an update to the TCM and PCM(?) which they updated and it's fine now...I guess we'll see.
Keep me in the loop with how your Focus performs post repair, Paradoxmaker. :)

Meagan

Keep me in the loop with how your Focus performs post repair, Paradoxmaker. :)

Meagan

Well got it picked up and it was much better on the 12 mile ride home than it's been in weeks. I can only hope that this time the good behavior lasts longer than last time.

Here's what the service sheet says what ever that means:
16873 7B546 150043A 1.10 Perfom IDS Diag no mill on Koeo Koer pass. Reflash PCM TCM to latest. Inspect no leaks. Perform TCM adaptive learn. Road test (checked my ODO and that was 6 miles) monitor ISS B Raw under 250 rpm all OK at this time.

My 2013 with 32000km, so far no problems with the dct... Just some lagging and slow shifting at times when I really need it to be quick

101 - 108 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.