Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here. I don't want to start a fight and I beg you not to either.

What I'm trying to find out is if there is any concrete evidence that Ford has corrected the problem with the later 2014 models. And if so, what did they do?

I don't want to rely on lack of screams alone, because maybe the people that get bothered by it, wised up, and stopped buying the car long time ago. It could be that only the non-complainers (naive or hopefuls like me) are buying it now, which results in no reports of the problem, but the problem is still there.

I want to buy it this weekend and I'm gearing for a stick, but the missus likes it easy...

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 13 with the original DCT works flawlessly with the latest firmware update. I wouldn''t hesitate to buy another if I were in the market.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a 2014 DCT I bought in April I friggin love it! No issues yet, however you really must learn to drive it like a manual to make it act right. If you have never had a manual I would suggest a nice long test drive to see if you will like the feel of it, it is much more direct than your average slush box auto.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Lots and lots of conversation on this topic. Has Ford done a lot with the DCT? Yes they have: updated software (many times), revised clutches (up to version "F"), revised seals and a dealer network that may finally understand what they're servicing. So the 2014s should be loads better than early 2012s.

But. In my opinion, despite all of this, you are far more likely to have transmission issues with a 2014 DCT Focus than with any competing model. Now the odds are likely good it will be trouble-free, but it's still a bigger risk than a Civic, Corolla, Mazda3, Cruze, etc. The Focus has real strengths, but the DCT is not among them. And be aware Ford is actively considering a CVT alternative for its next-generation small cars, which tells you something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots and lots of conversation on this topic. Has Ford done a lot with the DCT? Yes they have: updated software (many times), revised clutches (up to version "F"), revised seals and a dealer network that may finally understand what they're servicing. So the 2014s should be loads better than early 2012s.

But. In my opinion, despite all of this, you are far more likely to have transmission issues with a 2014 DCT Focus than with any competing model. Now the odds are likely good it will be trouble-free, but it's still a bigger risk than a Civic, Corolla, Mazda3, Cruze, etc. The Focus has real strengths, but the DCT is not among them. And be aware Ford is actively considering a CVT alternative for its next-generation small cars, which tells you something.
Yes it does tell me a lot. I've been driving stick for over 30 years and personally don't care for auto in general. Having said that, my wife has an auto Mazda 3 and loves the drive, while I hate the problems.

If they are considering the cvt, it probably means that they couldn't solve the problem without a complete re-design, which no software or new seals could help. The Mazda 3 tranny has given me its fair share of problems, I can't see myself walking into one even worse.

So I probably have to man up the old lady[:I]. Or blame it on the hormones and buy a ST instead!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have a 2014 DCT I bought in April I friggin love it! No issues yet, however you really must learn to drive it like a manual to make it act right. If you have never had a manual I would suggest a nice long test drive to see if you will like the feel of it, it is much more direct than your average slush box auto.
The "drive it like a manual" advice is correct. By this I think we mean keeping the throttle foot active. Keeping the throttle steady like with a conventional automatic doesn't make for a happy car: shifts may be too early, the engine bogs and there's little torque available. But if you advance the throttle progressively through each gear (like you would with a manual) everything works better.

It's not usual (or desirable) for a mass-market car to insist on a specific driving technique, but it does help with the Focus.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My '13 still sucks as bad as it ever has. I don't post here much anymore because I usually get "well go to your dealer" like I haven't done it. There are 3 dealers around me within 30 miles and none of them will agree to swap out my clutches or even check them because their low rpm tests while the car is stone cold come back "within the acceptable range" - acceptable my ass. Worst purchase I've ever made, hands down. The rest of the car is nice, flawed in some places but not anything I can overlook. I'm not looking for perfection out of an economy car here, but reliability would be helpful. I don't even care that it grinds like a mother in parking lots and I get looks (probably thinking "wow bro, learn to shift"), or that it jumps and lunges practically any time you're in 1st gear... I have tint to hide my shame behind, but when it leaves me in an intersection practically coasting while it's deciding which gear and when to shift, that makes me anxious every time I drive.

I would never, ever suggest buying a focus with a dct, due to my personal experiences with the one I bought. Resale value alone will make you cry. It's bad enough it's a focus (gajillions of these cars out there, resale will always be bad), but now people know about how bad these transmissions can be and shy away from them. I guess I should be deceitful and yell from the rooftops about how amazing they are so that someone will come buy mine, but I won't.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Please be advised that the Mazda 3 and the Cruze uses a conventional automatic. The Civic and Corolla uses a CVT. In almost every review I've watched on youtube regarding these cars, the consensus is that the Civic and Corolla are competent, reliable cars, but are not fun to drive (but that is not their target audience. People who buy Civics or Corollas don't care about a sporty ride). The Cruze is also considered a competent car, but maybe not as reliable as the Civic or Corolla. Most reviewers gush over the Mazda 3. I've driven the 3 and it is a very competent car, but is far more expensive than the Focus, on average.

The Focus is not a top seller in the compact car market, the Civic and Corolla will remaining the number one and two cars in this category. That being said, the Focus has consistently sold approximately 200,000 cars or more per year for some time now. No one has exact numbers, but to the extent that some cars are built with DCT issues, they are definitely a small percentage of cars sold. The odds are that if you purchase a Focus, the chance that it will be a defective car should be low. One final thing. In my opinion, if your car does experience the symptoms of a defective car, it will matter where you take the car in for the repair; not all mechanics are created equal.

Finally, it is true that Ford is considering using a CVT transmission in the future. My guess is that Ford is considering the switch because the dry dual clutch transmission currently being used on the Focus and Fiesta will no longer be produced after 2021 and Ford concluded that using the wet clutch transmission that will replace the dry clutch will be too expensive to use on their line of compact economy cars (that's just my guess, I have no proof). Be advised, however, that the 2015 Focus, from what I understand, will still be using the DCT transmission and my guess is that 2017-2018 version will probably use the DCT to coincide with the production schedule until 2021. In order to maintain their fuel economy goals, I think Ford believes the CVT transmission will be a smart, cheap alternative since a dry dual clutch won't be produced by Getrag. Even though Ford is working on an 8-10 speed transmission, my guess is also that that tranny will make it in their larger sized car, but not their smaller cars. Also, from what I've read so far, these types of transmissions have not delivered yet on high fuel economy goals thus far.

In conclusion, when working properly, the DCT is a great tranny that gives the Focus a nice sporty ride while providing great fuel economy. Good luck on your research.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My '13 still sucks as bad as it ever has. I don't post here much anymore because I usually get "well go to your dealer" like I haven't done it. There are 3 dealers around me within 30 miles and none of them will agree to swap out my clutches or even check them because their low rpm tests while the car is stone cold come back "within the acceptable range" - acceptable my ass. Worst purchase I've ever made, hands down. The rest of the car is nice, flawed in some places but not anything I can overlook. I'm not looking for perfection out of an economy car here, but reliability would be helpful. I don't even care that it grinds like a mother in parking lots and I get looks (probably thinking "wow bro, learn to shift"), or that it jumps and lunges practically any time you're in 1st gear... I have tint to hide my shame behind, but when it leaves me in an intersection practically coasting while it's deciding which gear and when to shift, that makes me anxious every time I drive.

I would never, ever suggest buying a focus with a dct, due to my personal experiences with the one I bought. Resale value alone will make you cry. It's bad enough it's a focus (gajillions of these cars out there, resale will always be bad), but now people know about how bad these transmissions can be and shy away from them. I guess I should be deceitful and yell from the rooftops about how amazing they are so that someone will come buy mine, but I won't.
I know I'm new here so sorry for my early pun, but after you bought your DCT, you got brochado right?

·
Registered
520 Posts

I am curious how many miles you have on your car? Have you tried going to a completely different dealer (maybe one farther away from where you live) to get a completely fresh perspective on what can be done for you? I believe your problem may be due to the dealers who are unwilling or unable to help you.

·
Registered
505 Posts
i bought my original focus in april, it was flawless. got totaled. bought another. im just about at 1000 miles now and no issues yet

·
Registered
154 Posts
FWIW, I've got almost 5000 miles on my '14. Haven't had any mechanical issues. Car runs nice and smooth besides the occasional low-speed jerk.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Almost 21000 on my 2014 DCT. No problems. I really like the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. I just came back from test driving the stick and it felt great. The only problem is that there's not that many around to choose from and the parts dept guy told me that I couldn't put a paddle board on top of it because the roof was too short.

Since I pretty much made my mind about stick vs auto, I'm going to start another thread about paddle board and roof racks. I need to work this fast.

Thank you guys for voicing your experiences and inside knowledge.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
OK. I just came back from test driving the stick and it felt great. The only problem is that there's not that many around to choose from and the parts dept guy told me that I couldn't put a paddle board on top of it because the roof was too short.

Since I pretty much made my mind about stick vs auto, I'm going to start another thread about paddle board and roof racks. I need to work this fast.

Thank you guys for voicing your experiences and inside knowledge.
I carry a 15 foot canoe on the roof of mine, so I doubt a paddle board would be a problem. Sounds like more dealership misinformation. Check the Yakima or Thule website if you'd like more assurance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am curious how many miles you have on your car? Have you tried going to a completely different dealer (maybe one farther away from where you live) to get a completely fresh perspective on what can be done for you? I believe your problem may be due to the dealers who are unwilling or unable to help you.
Going into 32000 right now. This is our only car and I'd have to rent one because no one does loaner vehicles anymore. I've still got some time on the warranty so I'm just going to let it go since they seem sure that it's working properly and hopefully around 50k (if I even have it that long) I'll try to do something about it. It's absolutely insane that I basically have to plan a long weekend and a good week of renting a car in order to get the chance at having something done to it. Should have bought 2 used cars for what we paid for this one, they'd have gotten me farther and at least if they had problems I would have something to chalk it up to.

What's more is I don't even qualify for the 100k warranty on the trans because my car was made 4 days after the cutoff date. They assure me this means I got "good" clutches. I'd give the F series clutches a shot if someone would just bust this POS open and throw them in for me.

I'd give a lot to know back then what I know now. I would have gotten a base, no options ST and I bet I'd be 100x happier.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'm not a DCT hater so not sure if you want my input, but I have a 2014 with build date mid-October 2013 and no problems here.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I have a 2014 DCT and it drives perfectly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I recall one or two guys on here had the 2012 and later bought the 2014. They said the 2014 was much better.
DCT doesn't seem to help gas mileage (it's not as though the Focus is leading the pack). CVT clearly has to help. Makes sense to me especially in the Fiesta where clearly people want the highest MPG they can get. Offer a manual for enthusiasts. Most Focus owners won't care much (between a CVT and DCT) I surmise, especially seeing how poor the DCT operates. I assume the CVT will eek out another 1 or 2MPG which would help satisfy customers.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I recall one or two guys on here had the 2012 and later bought the 2014. They said the 2014 was much better.
DCT doesn't seem to help gas mileage (it's not as though the Focus is leading the pack). CVT clearly has to help. Makes sense to me especially in the Fiesta where clearly people want the highest MPG they can get. Offer a manual for enthusiasts. Most Focus owners won't care much (between a CVT and DCT) I surmise, especially seeing how poor the DCT operates. I assume the CVT will eek out another 1 or 2MPG which would help satisfy customers.
CVTs are bad. The one in the Fivehundred/Freestyle was ok, but compared to the DCT the xtronic CVT in the Sentra or Versa is awful and shouldn't be sold. very rubber band feeling and useless.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts