Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just put a k&n filter in about 1k miles ago and this morning on my take out on to the highway i noticed that below 4k rpm the engine was loud but when it hit 5k the noise level went up at least 15db, i didnt feel a power shift just a loudness that i havent heard befor, just so u all know i have taken off the sound dampener pad off the bottom of the hood and taken the little pipe off the intake box to reduce intake noise, other than that all i have is the k&n, is this normal?? oh also the car shakes slighty on hard takeoffs up hills and the engine bogs hard if i rev it up and let it come down.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
when it hit 5k the noise level went up at least 15db, i didnt feel a power shift just a loudness that i havent heard befor
^^^It's DSI. Dual Stage Intake.
That's completely normal, and a sign that it's working properly.
You'll hear it, more than you'll feel it as it's primary purpose is to keep a nice flat torque curve throughout the power band.

oh also the car shakes slighty on hard takeoffs up hills
So...don't take off so hard up hills.
In all seriousness though, we need a better description to really what's going on.
Is the engine shaking (more like a BANG)?
^^^A sign of a worn engine mount.
Is the chassis shaking?
^^^In that the wheels are bouncing up and down.

and the engine bogs hard if i rev it up and let it come down.
Are the wheels breaking loose, and then it bogs?
If so, that's the TC (Traction Control) kicking in.
Do you even have TC? (only included on cars that came equipped with the winter package)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
again you guys are awesomely fast at responses, thanks wd40 :)
Ok the sound issue is fine. and for your question its not shaking when start i off the line but starts around 3-4k and the shaking feels like the wheel is being pulled out of my hands, its not shaking left to right to badly but more up and down and there are no bangs or engine power jumps or drops and it goes away after 3rd gear, and usually dosnt happen when the car has had around 20 mins to warm up, only on cold starts in the first ten or so min of driving. i hope that helps :p
oh and i got a bad load of fuel a few months back (watered) and every once in a while when its idleing the rpms will drop about 100 or so the go back to fine, i reved it (in neutral) up to 4k and it bogged its way back down, no backfires but it was strange i have ever seen or heard a car do it quite like mine does it, im wondering if the bad fuel did more than wreck my filter but might have clogged my injectors or is it normal for it to sound like its getting strange backpressure when it drops rpms in idle??

·
Registered
531 Posts
had the same problem start with my 04 svt. just one day out of the blue it started to become really loud about 5,000 rpm. i was told that there is a problem with the control box that works the dual runner intake. i know what your going throu cause i cant stand the sound. i know its not suppose to be like that due to the fact it never made the sound for 4 years and 60k miles

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
if you got some bad fuel go get a bottle of B12 chemtool fill half way with gas, then pour the B12 chemtool in gas tank, then finish fillin it up. whenever your bout ready to add more gas to your car replace the fuel filter. and should be good til next filter change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts