Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2014 DCT Focus with 700 miles on it occasionally chatters on launches. I've heard the tranny supposedly learns in the first 1000 miles. Can someone give any tips on proper break-in of the DCT? It went thru a bout of really bad behavior around 400 miles where it would chatter, grind, slip. It seems t0 be getting a little better now that it has 700 miles on it, but I've been afraid to beat on it for fear of the chatter coming back.

Should we avoid conditions like heavy throttle on takeoff that cause the chatter? It seems like if we are feather-lite on the gas it shifts smoothly. I'm hoping the clutches sort themselves out and we don't have to baby it to keep it smooth. The car was built in June, so it should have the latest revisions, I would think.

Suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Our 2014 DCT Focus with 700 miles on it occasionally chatters on launches. I've heard the tranny supposedly learns in the first 1000 miles. Can someone give any tips on proper break-in of the DCT? It went thru a bout of really bad behavior around 400 miles where it would chatter, grind, slip. It seems t0 be getting a little better now that it has 700 miles on it, but I've been afraid to beat on it for fear of the chatter coming back.

Should we avoid conditions like heavy throttle on takeoff that cause the chatter? It seems like if we are feather-lite on the gas it shifts smoothly. I'm hoping the clutches sort themselves out and we don't have to baby it to keep it smooth. The car was built in June, so it should have the latest revisions, I would think.

Suggestions appreciated.
I think some of your questions are answered in this thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415994

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
A few thoughts:

1) The TCM (Transmission Control Module) is always "learning".
2) Do not baby the transmission (actually the clutches). Vary your acceleration, including occasional WOT acceleration from a standing start. This will help the TCM to "learn".
3) Try one tank of premium fuel. A smoother delivery of engine power may help the learning/break-in process.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
...Can someone give any tips on proper break-in of the DCT?..
From your Owner Guide:

BREAKING-IN
You need to break in new tires for approximately 300 miles (480 kilometers). During this time, your vehicle may exhibit some unique driving characteristics. Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine. Do not tow during the first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers).
Meagan

·
Registered
157 Posts
My salesman said drive it like I stole it. I have not been real hard on her but not babying either. Have almost 12,000 on her in five months. So far so good. Very happy.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I now have 2800 miles, since I took a long trip to Minnesota for Labor Day.

I hardly have any shudder, burps or vibrations. Seemed to 'learn' by 1000-1200 miles.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I didn't have any problems and I'm pushing 2k miles now. I babied it for the first 500 miles, then I started 'seeing what it could do'. I noticed no difference in how the transmission acted throughout the process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts