Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a Ford Focus 2013 S (the basic version) and I'm temporarily importing it into British Columbia, Canada. For that, I need to have DRLs so that the car passes a safety inspection. I don't have the option to do it on the car menu like the other versions do. I called Canadian Tire and they want to charge me $210 to hard-wire the DRL but I wonder if there's a way for me to safely do it? Or maybe there's a ford OEM option that would enable me to do it that wouldn't cost me as much? I looked into aftermarket options which are actually quite cheap ($50) but I wonder if they'll pass the safety inspection. I appreciate any tips or suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Maybe trick the automatic headlight sensor by painting it black or putting something over it so it thinks it's night time all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the S trim, it doesn't even have automatic sensors, it's got purely manual lights unfortunately.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine's an S. Has automatic lights. I guess maybe it was added as standard btwn 13 and 16.🤷‍♂️

Just out of curiosity I just looked up the requirements for Canada's motor vehicles; and specifically the DRLs. Jesus what a freakin' nightmare. If I were you I'd just have it done professionally and pay the pretty penny. That way if it doesn't pass all this red tape you can have someone to point your finger at.

Daytime Running Lamps
  • (25) Subsections (26) to (30) apply to passenger cars, multi-purpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses and three-wheeled vehicles.
  • (26) Every vehicle shall be equipped with daytime running lamps
    • (a) in accordance with S6.1.3.1 of TSD 108, except that the reference to “applicable photometric requirements” in that provision is a reference to the applicable photometric requirements set out in SAE Standard J2087, Daytime Running Light (August 2017) (SAE Standard J2087);
    • (b) in accordance with S6.2 of TSD 108, except that the references in that provision to “lighting equipment required by this TSD” and to “required lamp” include a reference to “daytime running lamp”; and
    • (c) that conform to
      • (i) sections 5, 6 and 7.3.1 of SAE Standard J2087, except that despite section 6.1.2, if a daytime running lamp is optically combined with a white front position lamp that has a projected luminous lens area of 200 cm2 or less, it may conform to the light intensity distribution values shown in figure 1 when tested in accordance with section 5.1, or
      • (ii) until September 1, 2020, SAE Standard J583, Front Fog Lamps (September 2016) (SAE Standard J583).
  • (27) Despite section 6.4 of SAE Standard J2087, the light from a daytime running lamp shall be
    • (a) if the lamp is optically combined with a parking lamp, white or yellow;
    • (b) if produced by a turn signal lamp, yellow; and
    • (c) in all other cases, white.
Switching — Daytime Running Lamps
  • (28) Subject to subsections (29) and (30), the daytime running lamps on a vehicle shall be activated not later than when the vehicle is set in motion under its own power and shall remain activated until the motors or engines used for the vehicle’s propulsion are switched off and as a result the vehicle enters a mode of operation other than “accessory” or “on”.
  • (29) The daytime running lamps on a vehicle shall
    • (a) be deactivated while the lower beam headlamps are activated to provide road illumination;
    • (b) beginning on September 1, 2020, be deactivated while the front fog lamps provide road illumination after being activated by the driver; and
    • (c) if they also serve as front turn signal lamps,
      • (i) be deactivated on the side of the vehicle where a turn signal is activated, while that turn signal is activated, and
      • (ii) be deactivated on both sides of the vehicle while the hazard warning signal is activated.
  • (30) The daytime running lamps on a vehicle may be
    • (a) deactivated while the parking brake is applied or the transmission control is in the park or neutral position and the vehicle is not in motion;
    • (b) deactivated while the headlamps are being flashed for signalling purposes;
    • (c) switched off manually, in which case they shall reactivate automatically, at the discretion of the manufacturer, either not later than when the vehicle travels more than 100 m or when the speed of the vehicle exceeds 10 km/h; and
    • (d) wired to flash for signalling purposes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the response. Yeah, it's kind of a lot, my current plan is to use something like these and see if it'll pass. Worst case scenario, I'll pay the guy to do it on the spot with the inspection. I was looking into what DocX has but I couldn't find anywhere in Canada that sold those (all had to be imported from somewhere) and it would get stuck on Canadian customs most likely.

The only reason why I'm having to do this is because my original plan of driving back into the US to sell the car and buying a new one here were spoiled because of Coronavirus (borders are closed so I can't cross over to sell it).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I see. Well ya if you're just gonna try and sell it then go cheap and hope for the best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I wired it, looking good so far. I'll post a picture later. Red wire went to Rear Wiper fuse (F42), Black to ground, and I had to tap into the turn signal wire going into the headlamp loom (#8). Let's see if it passes the inspection xD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts