Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well... my father and i finally finished the valve cover today. it was a long bitch process. were finally glad to get it done. after failing once because we found out that you cant recoat enamel or it will crack really bad.

well i took the best step by step pictures i could. well enough babbling here are the pictures.

this is where we set up shop

first thing we had to do is sand. you have to rough up the surface so the paint will stick and not peal. this is what it should look like. make sure you sand off the zetec and the ford symbol. if not if will cause the paint to peel.

after we sanded it down.. we used acetone to clean all the debri and crap off it. then it was ready for taping. here are some pics of it taped up

taped the hole

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
next started the primer. we used engine enamel grey primer.

after the primer dried we used brillow pads/wool steel to smooth out the primer. use the finest you can find.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here are some shots of the paint we used. and the testing we needed to do.. to figure out how we wanted the fade to look

then we started with the black.. we wanted the blue to fade over the black.. make sure you apply in thin coats.... also no need to paint the whole vavle.. just half up to where your going to fade.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we really didnt let the black dry at all before we shot it with the blue. you have to do it all at once.. because its enamel and doest coat well after dried for over an hour.

well here is the final touch. the pictures dont do it justice at all. you just have to see in person. it looks absolutely beautiful.. like professionally done. couldnt have done it a better way.

well i hope these pics work for you all. like i said the fade looks tremendous in the pics.. im really really happy the way it turned out. looks perfectly fogged and was done all free hand.

please feel free to ask any qeustions.. im open to anything.. tomorrow i will have it back on the engine when all dried. i will post some more pics when everything is put back together

thanks

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Annnnd....

Annnnnd.... Just how much for you to paint some Black to Yellow fades on some parts for me?

You seriously did an AMAZING job with that, dude.. Looks incredible.

Crazy Matt

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im seriously thinking about doing this for other people for some money. takes no longer than a day... if sent to me i can have it back to you with in a half a week or so.
if some are really interested email me at [email protected]

thanks alot for the compliments!! i really appreciete it!!!

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
rough it up, isnt it already rough?, on the outside mines rough like the exterior moldings was yours smooth?

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i though it was rough but i was wrong. the first time i sprayed, after it dried, the ****er just pealed right off. so it need to be sanded down.

edit: it was rough.. but not enough for primer to stick to it. it doesnt hurt to sand it down[rolleyes]

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
actually it moer than likely peeles b/c it was rough, paint sticks to smooth surfaces better, its the primer you want to give some adhesion

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
focus sport sells stuff like that to but yours is way MORE PIMPIN i like that. you did a focusfantastic job showing us on focusfanatics hehehehe you DA MAN PLAYA you and your daddy. FOCUZSPORT pimp ass valve cover jobs done dirt cheap. lmfao that is awsome nothing is better than your own custom work. you cant buy pride. i like that....

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mofo why are you ?ing me? i have done this thing over 3 times.. all trial and error. i dont think you quite understand. i say rough it meaning get all the crap and grim off it. sand with 140 then follow with a fine grit. we used 280 before we started primering

guerro.. like i said.. the pictures dont do it justice at all. you cant see the true color fade. you have to see it in person. paint it one color? that was kind of an ignorant statement to say. thats to plain.. what, is it wrong for me to have fun?

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
looking good...
post a pic when you are done with it...
all the after market engine mods in the car are blue...right ?

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Wow. That does look sweet.
PS: I thought you were doin' your engine in red?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
that looks great. thats very creative

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah that looks great. Thank you for posting your progress and steps. I was just thinking yestarday about painting my valve cover. After seeing it done on yours I think that will have to be a future project. Prolly for the spring time.

I cant wait to see pics of it on the car. I dont know about the fade. I think I might have faded it horizontally instead of vertically. Like putting the black in front kinda like headers are heating it up that much to turn from blue to black. But I like. You did a good job.

I am always happy to see poeple doing their own work and getting dirty. That way you can actually call it yours.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i will post pics tonight of it on the car. turned out better than we thought. the blue matched perfectly with the blue on the intake. looks freakin outstanding. wait till you all see pics

1 - 20 of 40 Posts