Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the datalog right after getting off the freeway. While I was waiting to make a left turn at an intersection, the grill shutters started to open when the temp. reached ~205.

How to read it:
The X axis is time in seconds.
The scale for the Y axis is stated at the bottom. For example, engine coolant temp. has a total range of 100 degrees (120 to 220).

Conclusion: The grill shutters open as a function of engine temperature and speed.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Wow, very cool graph. I like how it doesn't just depend on the temps and it also works with speed. Nice post.

·
Registered
261 Posts
that's a real pro graph. What i'd like to know is, how did you figure out whether or not the shutters opened or not? I mean, were you watching them open/close?

Otherwise, pretty cool.

·
Registered
171 Posts
How did you record you data? What did you use? Can you run 2 more logs then overlap all 3 to get a baseline.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The source of the data is the diagnostic (OBD) port. Virtually every module in the car can be accessed from the CAN buses.

I am using custom software running on a netbook PC with a J2534 hardware interface (USB to CAN).

This is still a work in progress so it is a bit crude at the moment.
I plan to post more logs in the near future.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Yes, very interesting.
And please, more!
Would be interested in a longer cruise at say 65mph.. do tey just stay at a set angle?
Or do they cycle?

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, very interesting.
And please, more!
Would be interested in a longer cruise at say 65mph.. do tey just stay at a set angle?
Or do they cycle?
Hi Elizabeth.

When cruising, they will stay closed if the engine temp. remains below ~205 and will crack open as necessary to maintain a normal operating temp.

If you want to see them operate, turn the A/C on and off.
When the A/C is on and the car is not moving, the shutters will open 100% regardless of the engine temp. When the A/C is off and the engine not fully warmed up, they will be fully closed.

More coming soon...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi Kabigon,
How do I get a system like you got ?
The cable that connect to the car and the software ?
I'm also interested in data logging, pic programming, hex files etc etc.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I would think all TI have shutters.
The Kysor shutters are supposed to eventually come on all new Focus by what I have read.
They are ramping up on that.
So the big question is like on other models what gets the shutters?
I have them and do not have the Winter Package.. on my SE.

Ford should just finally make them standard across the board.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts