Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving my car shut off and wouldnt turn back on, its a 2007 Zx3 5-Speed
i noticed the Check gas cap, and Battery light was illuminated. I have Dashs
------- where the miliges information would be.

i read its a common problem so i cleaned the negative battery grounds with a wire brush and dielectric grease, also checked all the fuese and greased all the main connectors in the engine bay and the connecters to the pcm.
i did all this with the battery unhooked and still nothing.
any help is appreciated.

·
FF Affiliate
30,970 Posts
Only a few things will caus there , there is a black/yellow or black /blue wire on the ground cable at the batt or beside the batt , clean those connections good

On the firewall fuse box there is 2 black diods look like fuses , swap them and see if it will start

Or some how you set the PATS

I would start there

Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've checked the ground connections clean and they are good to go. The fuses tho I'm not to sure do you have a picture of them or?

·
FF Affiliate
30,970 Posts
Cant mis then only 2 Black looking Fuses ( not fuses ) in that box to the right

Those Ground wires are the grounds to the ECU / Computer make sure there clean

Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok let me jump on here, (2001 ZX3, Zetec/ MTX 75), I have intermittent no start, no crank issues, left me stranded 3x in the last 2 weeks, now no communication between dash & computer = odometer all dashes!!

I swapped out zetec motor August of 2019 after sliding thru a huge puddle & locking up old motor (cold air intake behind front bumper sucked in water), My ZX3 has ~184K, new Zetec was 89k when installed (about 3 k ago).
Alternator is new, Starter is new, new battery cables & all new sensors on new motor (with the exception of O2 sensors), + new DUI Coil pack, 8mm wires, & Bosch plugs. Replaced almost all of the sensor pigtails with the new motor, + made a different cold air intake that draws air from behind the battery.

2 weeks ago running errands one afternoon in 110+ heat, my Focus started running a little hot stopped in traffic but cooled down once moving again, my 3rd stop was for dog food, came out NO CRANK, NO START, ugh!, checked all connections grounds etc. I have checked & rechecked all grounds many times, removed PCM, reinstalled PCM, changed batteries (had one in the back as I thought this was part of me problem), nothing works!? Called my wife got a ride home & came back with my care trailer.

So a week later I'm checking fuses, relays, connections, all grounds, (all ground on body are to bare metal), I find front O2 sensor melted to header, break melted connector apart, order new pig tail, & both O2 sensors + new CAT (have not installed yet) somewhere through this process I lost communication between the PCM & dash?? All relays appears to be fine, fuses good, I pulled the starter its great (new), reinstalled, motor turns over fine if you put 12v to the grey wire next to distributor.
I'm at a total loss?, what have I missed??

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Ok let me jump on here, (2001 ZX3, Zetec/ MTX 75), I have intermittent no start, no crank issues, left me stranded 3x in the last 2 weeks, now no communication between dash & computer = odometer all dashes!!
What is your battery voltage engine off and engine running?
What is your battery voltage when the car is 'dead'?
When the car is 'dead' do any accessories work (wipers, door locks, interior lights, radio, etc)?
When the car is 'dead' is the PATS light flashing?

Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
What is your battery voltage engine off and engine running?
What is your battery voltage when the car is 'dead'?
When the car is 'dead' do any accessories work (wipers, door locks, interior lights, radio, etc)?
When the car is 'dead' is the PATS light flashing?

Paul

Engine is not running as there is no communication between dash & PCM so it will not start (ie; NO Crank, No Start)
but 12.86 volts @ battery, everything else works just like its suppose to.
I think the light was flashing last time I did all the checks
Why do you keep referring to 'dead'?, that's not what I said.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your taking my words out of context, my statement was that everything thing that I have tried to solve this mystery have failed, nothing I have done has worked to solve the problem.
Everything else seems to function properly on the vehicle except there is no communication between the computer & the dash so therefore no no start no crank

·
FF Affiliate
30,970 Posts
A few things can cause - - - - - on the ODO , the small ground on the Batt dont remember if it was yellow and black or blue and black but if that ground isnt grounding - - - - - , the Diode/looks like a black fuse , there is 2 of them , swap them with Batt disconnected if it is bad - - - - - - , Have you cut into any twisted wiring in your Focus ?

If you tripped your PATS - - - - -

Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
A few things can cause - - - - - on the ODO , the small ground on the Batt dont remember if it was yellow and black or blue and black but if that ground isnt grounding - - - - - , the Diode/looks like a black fuse , there is 2 of them , swap them with Batt disconnected if it is bad - - - - - - , Have you cut into any twisted wiring in your Focus ?

If you tripped your PATS - - - - -

Tom
Wires @ battery (-) terminal was 1st thing I checked, cleaned, etc., very good clean connection.
All wiring I've been over it a dozen times.
(other than the upper O2 sensor connector grounding out on the exhaust, I just unhooked but still need to replace it.
Black Diode? not sure what you are referring to??
If I tripped the PATS? how do I untrip it?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The security light (PATS) above the hazard flasher switch:
1. With the ignition switch OFF (key in or out) does it flash once every two seconds?
2. With the ignition switch in the ON/RUN does the light go on for 3 seconds then go out?

Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
1. With the ignition switch OFF (key in or out) does it flash once every two seconds?
2. With the ignition switch in the ON/RUN does the light go on for 3 seconds then go out?

Paul
That was working fine the last 2 times this fukus left me stranded,
I will check it again in a couple days when I am off from work.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
That was working fine the last 2 times this fukus left me stranded,
I will check it again in a couple days when I am off from work.
Im not sure that you answered 'yes' to my two questions but assuming you did then PATS is not your problem.

Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts

Paul
The security light (PATS) above the hazard flasher switch flashes every two seconds regardless of key in/out or on.
Hence no communication between Dash & PCM

I may have found the problem, I pulled the PCM to get the #'s off of it & inspect it, here is what I found:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
ya probably straightened things out, reassembled still same problem
Well after re-reading your posts it seems that the no crank/no start started before you R/Rd the PCM. So although the PCM may now be fubar it probably was not/is not the original issue. But you will need to remove the PCM cover(s) and verify that the pins that were bent/straightened are still mechanically/electrically connected (soldered) to the PC board.

The security light (PATS) above the hazard flasher switch flashes every two seconds regardless of key in/out or on.
Hence no communication between Dash & PCM
The PATS light flashing every two seconds with the ignition OFF is normal. But it should go on for 3 seconds then go out when the ignition switch is turned to ON.

With ignition switch ON do the warning lights on the dash come on (and some then go out after a second or two)?

Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well after re-reading your posts it seems that the no crank/no start started before you R/Rd the PCM. So although the PCM may now be fubar it probably was not/is not the original issue. But you will need to remove the PCM cover(s) and verify that the pins that were bent/straightened are still mechanically/electrically connected (soldered) to the PC board.

The PATS light flashing every two seconds with the ignition OFF is normal. But it should go on for 3 seconds then go out when the ignition switch is turned to ON.

With ignition switch ON do the warning lights on the dash come on (and some then go out after a second or two)?

Paul
Already did all pins are fine & straight
Dash/warning lights on with keys on
OBDII port has power to it but cannot make connection to scanner

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Already did all pins are fine & straight
Dash/warning lights on with keys on
OBDII port has power to it but cannot make connection to scanner
Im wondering if you are missing a power feed from the ignition switch which is just a set of SPST switches - perhaps one is bad. You could do a switch bypass test for the cost of a few inches of 18AWG wire.

Paul

1 - 20 of 23 Posts