Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have a dashcam (this model, specifically- the gs8000l http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E5..._theQL40&qid=1410747581&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1 )

And I would like to install it in my 2005 focus zx4. The thing is, I would like to use the 12v outlet to charge my phone, and besides, it stills gives power even if the car is off, so the camera would drain my battery and still record unnecessarily if plugged in there. And, the wire would be hanging down in my face. So, I would like to try my hand at this mod here:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31590#/forumsite/20515/topics/120561 as it would allow me to leave it plugged in, and not drain the battery, and not have the wire hanging around.

I have a couple of questions though. I tried asking in that thread, but no one saw it, so I'll try here, if that's OK. First, where do I attach the wire to? To the end of the wire? Or in the middle? Can I use posi twist connectors like crutchfield sells? Also, he says that he couldn't attach the wire to the positive light wire. So, where should I connect it to, if not that wire. Also, can someone recommend a power outlet to buy that has everything I need to install?

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? :) My wife uses the car mostly, and it annoys her to have the wire hanging down in front of her and to have to plug it in and out every time. This mod would allow me to hide the wire and also have it go on and off with the engine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Step four, get a wire with a place for a fuse on it, use a 5volt fuse, or more depending on your usage, my cobra radar is 2volt. Attach this wire to the positive off the cigarette adapter. And run it into the positive side of the light connection.

Step five, run the white (or the negitive may be a different color) into the ground or the negitive of the light bar, all these wires should be going into the top of the connectors just like the original wires are going to the light.
sounds like its splicing into the light connector somehow. I haven't ever been in there to see what it looks like, but it doesn't sound too hard to figure out. If you are new to wiring stuff up. I would suggest maybe doing this little project with a friend who has experience.

another option, instead of the light housing, is to run a longer wire (over 6ft) down to the fuse box under the driver side dash, and use an "Add-a-fuse" on an existing ciruit. you will just need to find which circuit is "ignition on" so that the camera only turns on when the engine is running.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ yup, the description isn't perfect but it's just saying to hook to the positive & negative of the light wiring.

The OP there hid his connector inside the headliner, "hard wired" for sure from the pics I saw.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts