Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I started hearing this rattle coming from somewhere around the dashboard recently, it's intermittent but seems to happen more often now. Sometimes I drive down the road and it's there, then I make a turn and I don't hear it anymore just to return 5 minutes later. The noise is driving me nuts [?|], taking all the fun out of driving my new Focus. I tried to record a video with the noise, see the You Tube Link below. If I go to the dealer with this issue, can I expect help or am I getting the runaround with this kind of problem?
Any ideas on how to find what causes the noise?

https://youtu.be/Lupz3yGfn6c

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Here's a list of common rattle I was able to pinpoint:

1° The cluster (see picture #1 below).
Simply put your nail between the cluster and the dash. The rattle will go away. To fix this issue, remove the cluster and put 3M 1/8 neoprene under the cluster. It'll be more tight. If the rattle continue, put neoprene at the top of the cluster as well or try 3/8 under it.

2° The radio face plate (see picture #2 below).
The top part of the face plate is very thin and weak. Put your finger on it to stop the rattle. To fix it, remove the face plate and put 3M 1/8 neoprene on the top frame of the SYNC screen.

3° Driver or passager top door mini speaker (see picture #3 below).
Push the speaker with your hand toward the door frame. I have no solution yet as I have not address this issue yet in my car.

4° The driver or passager door against the dash (see picture #4 below).
While the door is close, push the door trim near the dash. The vibration will stop. I don't have yet a fix.

5° The armrest (see picture #5).
The arm rest will rattle when going over imperfect road or anything that make the car shake. To fix, put 3M 1/8 or 3/8 depending on what will make the cover tight against the bin when closed. Make sure it's not too tight.

6° The "door speaker" ratle when listening to music (see picture #6)
Put your hand on the trim that is on the speaker. Remove the door trim and put neoprone on the inside trim of the door.

7° Rear seatbelts (no picture)
Make sure the metal clip is not resting on the plastic trim at the top near the window but at the bottom against the seat itself.

8° Hatchback cover (no picture)
Sometime, it is possible your cover is not set properly. Make sure it is.

9° Windshield is cracking during cold temperature when the car is cold (-5°C and less)
It's normal and there's nothing you can do. The windshield is set to a bit smaller then the area where it is (1/8 or 1/16 to be accurate (don't remember!!)). This allow for expension of the material when cold or hot.

10° If none of the above is your rattle inside your cabin, try moving the passenger seat a bit forward or backward. It's not 100% locked and the metal clip is shaking a little bit.

Yes, I have experienced all of the above. It take time to find the rattle.

NOTE: If you see 1/8 is too tight, don't put 1/8. Put less. Don't put too much stress on the material as it'll be too tight and will start to rattle again in the future. You want it tight but not too much as the material will expand or crack (remember, it's cheap plastic). If 1/8 doesn't solve it and it's very tight, don't try more. The problem is somewhere else arround that area.

I also suggest that you do the above work when the temperature is near 15°C-20°C. Above or below this, the material is not in his "default" form and might be contracted or expanded because of the temperature.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi everyone,
I started hearing this rattle coming from somewhere around the dashboard recently, it's intermittent but seems to happen more often now. Sometimes I drive down the road and it's there, then I make a turn and I don't hear it anymore just to return 5 minutes later. The noise is driving me nuts [?|], taking all the fun out of driving my new Focus. I tried to record a video with the noise, see the You Tube Link below. If I go to the dealer with this issue, can I expect help or am I getting the runaround with this kind of problem?
Any ideas on how to find what causes the noise?

https://youtu.be/Lupz3yGfn6c
Hi tir74,

I'll be happy to check out some assistance to help quiet your car and keep your sanity. :) Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

In because I have a similar issue. Mine is definitely coming from the gauge cluster though. Try to push on different parts of the dash when it happens to see if you can get it to stop, so you can pinpoint it.
Have you had a chance to visit your dealer? Please let me know, with your mileage, so I can see how to best assist.

Meagan

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
In because I have a similar issue. Mine is definitely coming from the gauge cluster though. Try to push on different parts of the dash when it happens to see if you can get it to stop, so you can pinpoint it.
Have you had a chance to visit your dealer about this, firstorbit84? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

·
w/ my magic bag
29,474 Posts
I'd say its the windshield hitting the dashboard. From what I've seen some windshields are installed slighty lower then others. Try a rubber or cloth shim between the dash & windshield & see if it goes away.

·
Torretto!
3,878 Posts
Mines pretty quiet but I get the middle storage rest sqeaking with my arm partially resting on it....going to try some foam tape

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Any recommendations for a passenger door rattle that's been to the dealer for it 7-8 times? I even went through the regional rep through ford service on here. Rattle still comes and goes but I want to get in there and take care of it myself. You think the 3m neoprene would work?

·
Torretto!
3,878 Posts
You could try some soundproofing the door on the inside

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Did you find the cause of this issue, did the dealership fix it for you? I just got a new 2015 Focus Titanium and it's doing the same thing.
Welcome to the forum, klousgt!

I'll be happy to look into some options. Just private message me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location, and I'll get on it.

Meagan

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had two noises, one was the headliner that eventually went away and the other i swore came from the dash . I was installing some hood struts and thought i would look for something loose at the firewall while i was under the hood and found the bracket that holds the a/c lines to the passenger strut tower was loose, tightened the loose as hell nut and no noise since. The a/c lines were transfering the noise to the interior.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I had two noises, one was the headliner that eventually went away and the other i swore came from the dash . I was installing some hood struts and thought i would look for something loose at the firewall while i was under the hood and found the bracket that holds the a/c lines to the passenger strut tower was loose, tightened the loose as hell nut and no noise since. The a/c lines were transfering the noise to the interior.
On my '12, the battery cover wasn't set right and would rattle over bumps...that took a while to discover. Also, what I thought was an A or B pillar rattle wound up being the headliner by the moonroof - the glue/tape wasn't holding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my new 2015 Focus Titanium the rattle sounded just like yours and when we found the rattle to our surprise it wasn't in the dash. It was in the housing on the lane guidance sensor module mounted up high on the windshield behind the rearview mirror. I was able to "fix" the rattle by jiggling the cover until it stopped rattling. I wonder if anyone has a breakdown of how/if that cover comes off so I can line it with some felt to permanently fix it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts