Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my focus used and the previous owner attempted to paint the area behind the steering wheel(around the gauges. The paint job is less than perfect and far from shiny. Where is paint available or maybe a shiny topcoat? And is the job easy enough for someone like me (oblivious to anything related to cars) to do?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, well, might I ask what clear coat is? And, where would I get it, etc. Sorry, it's my first car and I really know nothing.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
don't clear coat it.

if the previous owner did a crappy job... it's still going to look like a crappy job...
perfection lies within prep-work (sanding, primer/adhesion promoter), quality paint (duplicolor, DuPont, Krylon fusion), and skill of the painter.

I'd suggest sanding it down with 600 grit, no need to remove all the paint, just make a smoothe surface, and 2 thin coats of primer and then your paint.

If you are a beginner painter, I've had great experiences with Duplicolor, available from Kragen, napa automotive, or your general hardware store.

It's an acrylic enamel paint, works good for plastic/vinyl. DuPont makes a vinyl-based paint which is a better finish, but more expensive.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Bonding primer will still work... etching primer is mostly used for adhesion to metals. High build primer sprays larger amounts, and fills surface imperfections, and it sands off quite easily. I'd recommend regular surface primer (in the color closest to your paint).

example:
If the guy painted it red, and you want to paint it black. Spray a black or dark gray primer.

·
Registered
166 Posts
just use a good grade of spray paint, any of the above are fine. Sand down the peices until they are smooth, dont sand too much because you will start getting into the plastic. clean the parts with denatured alcohol, this is important because it gets off all the little grains of paint you just sanded off. Then apply a thin coat of paint. It should take several, 4 or 5, coats to get it looking right. Between every coat sand and clean with alcohol.After that is done apply the clear coat, again 4 or 5 coats. When you sand the parts between coats use very fine sand paper, you don't want to sand off what you just put on there, all you are trying to do is make it smooth. Be sure to let dry completely between every coat so take you time and apply thin coats. All of this stuff can be gotten at any wal mart or hardware store

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, this might be a really stupid question, but, how do I paint around the steering column/wheel?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts