Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title pretty much explains my dilemma. The dash mounted button to open my liftgate stopped working recently. I don't know exactly when, or if I did anything by accident. I don't really use it that much, but as I get to use it more often, I realize it doesn't actually work.

Button isn't jammed, I can still press it, but you can't feel any action behind it. Any ideas on course of action, or what may be the problem?

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you have a remote with a trunk release button, does that still work to open it? If so the button will probably have to be replaced. If the remote button doesn't work then it may be the all to common umbilical between the body and the hatch wires needing to be repaired. Do a search for it for more information.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
^^This, this, and this.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Is this an automatic? If so, I thought the autos had to be in park before you can activate the hatch from the dash button

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat

Threads here on "fixing" the switch, you can try cleaning/modifying or just replace it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is an auto wagon. Even in park, or with the car off (not sure if it's meant to work here) the button does not activate.

I'll look into some of those threads, and maybe try my hand at fixing that.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'm only familiar with the switch used through '04, that's the one I've seen the most problems with (push button on left side of dash).

That type can be popped apart & cleaned, alcohol swab is the latest/best suggestion.

Some cut back internal fins that restricted movement so it would press firmer when pushed.

Later models had a rocker switch on the kick panel when equipped with a release switch at all, haven't seen any repair info. for that type.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Worth a look, MkI was triangular in the cluster surround piece.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh just kidding, MK1 is completely different. This one is mounted in between the light toggle and the steering column. I'll look into taking it out tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts