Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 focus has gas light on with 60+ miles to Empty. Usually on at 30miles why would it go on

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Because it wants fuel.

·
Registered
763 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I found that I could go more than 60 km after it reads 0 to empty. YMMV.
I don't do that any more but it still annoys me that the tank is 47 litres and it starts warning me when the tank is should still have ~20% fuel left in it.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I found that I could go more than 60 km after it reads 0 to empty. YMMV.
I don't do that any more but it still annoys me that the tank is 47 litres and it starts warning me when the tank is should still have ~20% fuel left in it.
You are aware that the fuel pump use fuel to cool itself...

The more you go lower than the quarter tank more the fuel pump will overheat and fail with time.

Its really a bad habit that many people have.

Why risk a fuel pump job when you don't even save money?!?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Obviously the E line on your gas gauge doesn't mean the tank is truly empty. If it did, people would be stranded on the side of the road with no gas if it did all the time.

Car makers purposely do this because they know that people will drive their cars until the gauge is on E. It's all psychological so people don't ruin their fuel pumps.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Having ruined a fuel pump by running out of gas once.. i try a lot harder to never run out of gas. Fuel pumps are expensive. [bigcry]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Having ruined a fuel pump by running out of gas once.. i try a lot harder to never run out of gas. Fuel pumps are expensive. [bigcry]
I don't get it. I had a old rusted out 87 Mustang that I ran out of gas a couple of times that I had for 6 or so years after I ran it out of gas. Only mechanical problem I ever had with it was one of the spark plug wires melted on the engine. FYI 4 cylinder Mustangs don't work too well when only 3 cylinders are firing but it did "work" well enough to finish my drive.

It might have something to do with the climate here where it's well below freezing for about half the year that saves our fuel pumps but I haven't heard of one going bad in a 10 or more years. I guess I don't see too many cars older than 15 years anymore either unless they are classics.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I don't get it. I had a old rusted out 87 Mustang that I ran out of gas a couple of times that I had for 6 or so years after I ran it out of gas. Only mechanical problem I ever had with it was one of the spark plug wires melted on the engine. FYI 4 cylinder Mustangs don't work too well when only 3 cylinders are firing but it did "work" well enough to finish my drive.

It might have something to do with the climate here where it's well below freezing for about half the year that saves our fuel pumps but I haven't heard of one going bad in a 10 or more years. I guess I don't see too many cars older than 15 years anymore either unless they are classics.
My past colleague had a mk3 Golf (1999). Burned through 2 fuel pumps because being a cheap ass always never put more than a quarter of gas. (15 bucks per week).

He was always waiting for the fuel light to come on. (and still some time run the entire commute trip on it and pray to have enough gas to go home)

That's really a bad thing.

Internal electric fuel pump use gas to cool itself and lubricate.

I'm not saying that the moment you run on gas vapor you kill the fuel pump instantly.

Why run for trouble?
Please explain what are the advantage running so low?
I'm trying to understand what are the benefit!

Also you have a pretty decent explanation here
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/195

Yellow is gas... you see its very important for the fuel pump motor cooling

·
Registered
141 Posts
The advantage is for a lazy person not having to do a chore as often. Also as that lazy person every time I get gas I fill. I used to fill to the point where I could see the gas sitting in the line. With the Focus I think if you do that then it leaks out so I don't do that anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts