Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Here is what we are dealing with.

2000 Ford Focus
2.0L DOHC
Auto Trans
4 door

Now onto the issue. I had went out and got supper. I come out and turn the car on. As i do all the dash gauges go to full right and then come back and to normal levels. I turn the headlight switch on and notice i have no lights on behind my gauges, cruise control buttons aren't lit, radio buttons aren't lit, and HVAC control knobs arent lit. So i shut it off and start it back up. Issue persists but i did notice all my idiot lights lit up when it done the initial self test at start up. So i drove a few miles home with the dome light on to see the dash enough to know my speed. All gauges worked fine and vehicle ran fine but no lights on the dash. I got home and checked i have all exterior lamps working.

Any thoughts on what this could be? I'm going to look at it tomorrow. First thing i'm checking is fuses. If all look good just going to start trouble shooting from there. At home i have access to wiring diagrams and service info through Mitchell Pro Demand thanks to school and at school i have access to Mitchell and AllData so i have access to information to trouble shoot was just looking to see if this has happened to others before?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Fiddle with the dimmer switch for the dash lighting as a first step.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked all the fuses and everything seems fine. Pulled the dash apart and wiring and connector to the switch look good. No signs of heat damage or anything that would point to electrical issues. Now my question is how do i test the dimmer portion of the switch? I'm unsure of what pin or pins control the dimmer. Monday i'm going to pull up alldata at school if i can't figure it out before then. For some reason Prodemand i can't find a pin diagram in there for the switch.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
This is the headlight switch diagram. The illumination comes off the switch on pin 9. It is a pulse width modulated signal. Your car may not have the fog or DRL option, so ignore that part of the diagram.

If you need a replacement, try boneyard or eBay. Dealer is super expensive for this.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well. It's out of my hands now. Took an odd turn Sunday. Went to drive it. It started and died in about 10 seconds. After that it would not start no matter what i tried. So for the no start issue i got it towed to a shop. Hoping this is a good shop as i don't know the area real well. Just moved down here a year ago. I figure though if the guy runs a 4 bay shop along with a fleet of 4 tow trucks and is an installer for Jasper engines i'm fairly safe.

As for the light issue i'm thinking it is probably the switch. I still want to test it or have the shop test it but i did had dash lights sunday. So i'm thinking maybe the pins on the connector weren't making good contact friday nght.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts