Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,
Now that I have your attention. I have replaced all of the suspension on my car except the front control arms and ball joint(coming soon). I have the FRPP kit with Eibach sway, new end links, adjustable upper cntrl arms, new Lower control arms, new camber bolts, new HTP adjustable toe arms, new bushings...........Problem is, when I'm in a hard left turn( long turn ), the ass end of the car twitches real bad. Won't do it going into a right hander, just a left hander. Any ideas?

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
the focus tends to oversteer a lot more than other cars is that your problem? like the back end is lifting up?

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, this is not oversteer. The back moves like someone is pushing it left and right. But, only in a long left handed turn.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
hmmmmm all your bearings are good? spring is seated good? strut is tight? lug nuts are tight?(i know kinda obvious...)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 2007 Focus station wagon at the beginning of the year and noticed something similar. Even while driving straight, if I hit a certain kind of bump (not sure if its when the pavement bumps up, like a manhole cover, or if the pavement dips down quickly, kind of like a pothole) the back end wiggles a bit. I've read threads about this quirk but I don't think anyone nailed it to a specific cause. I don't want to replace the stock suspension if I don't have to, I just want my car to be stable when driving (in the snow at turnpike speeds, it's a bit unnerving). The dealer replaced one rear strut that was leaking, maybe this contributes to the unbalance? I do want to upgrade some things, but I don't think this is the place to discuss it, I'll post that somewhere else.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmmmm all your bearings are good? spring is seated good? strut is tight? lug nuts are tight?(i know kinda obvious...)
Bearings are good, spring is seated, shock is good(not strut, this is the rear we are talking about) and the lug nuts are tight. I'm going to look into it tonight or tomorrow. I am wondering if something is coming loose............Understand that I have a fully adjustable rear suspension and it is all new. I wonder if the sway bar is acting up?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Tire rolling on sidewalls? Try playing with rear tire pressures a little (use the white shoe polish on the sidewalls trick). People tend to drive left hand turns much more aggressively than right handers.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
I bought a 2007 Focus station wagon at the beginning of the year and noticed something similar. Even while driving straight, if I hit a certain kind of bump (not sure if its when the pavement bumps up, like a manhole cover, or if the pavement dips down quickly, kind of like a pothole) the back end wiggles a bit. I've read threads about this quirk but I don't think anyone nailed it to a specific cause. I don't want to replace the stock suspension if I don't have to, I just want my car to be stable when driving (in the snow at turnpike speeds, it's a bit unnerving). The dealer replaced one rear strut that was leaking, maybe this contributes to the unbalance? I do want to upgrade some things, but I don't think this is the place to discuss it, I'll post that somewhere else.
this sounds like improper alignment

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
what is your camber in the rear set at

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
My car does this, ive had people who have never been in my car before tell me they feel it too.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tire rolling on sidewalls? Try playing with rear tire pressures a little (use the white shoe polish on the sidewalls trick). People tend to drive left hand turns much more aggressively than right handers.
Geezer, I'm rolling BFG KDWs and have never had this happen before. The only change is the suspension components. The alignment is spot on, trust me. I watched the guy like a hawk, as a matter of fact, he had me read out the numbers to him. This is a jerking motion, like something is giving way or elongated. Regardless of driving aggressively or not, the car should handle the same at the same speed, whether right or left turn. Geezer, do you think a problem in the front(ie worn control arm bushings or ball joints) would cause the ass end to walk out so violently?

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
What are the roads like where you drive? do they have rain grooves cut across or down the lane. In Vegas they have sections of road with rain grooves cut going down the lane and most of them wiggle back and forth and it causes the car to follow them left and right. it scarred the crap out of me the first time it happens.
Your alignment could be off just a tiny bit making its self known in the corners!

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's not the roads. This didn't do it before on the same roads.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
What kind of bushings did you install, and did you do the rear trailing arm bushings?

Also, is the rear sway bar greased up good (mainly the sway bar bushings). There was a thread awhile back discussing something very similar to what you're describing. One suggestion was making sure that rear sway is well greased. After I did that, it helped me out quite a bit. I also had ES rear trailing arm bushings that seemed to be causing some weird wiggling issues so I replace them with stocks and haven't had the problem since.

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Prothane bushings, Rear trailing arm bushings are new as well. I replaced a trailing arm when I did, I replaced the bushings in both of them. I will check the rear sway bushings this evening and see if they are greased up. Thanks for the advice.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
sorry for thread jack but where did you get your trailing arms?

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought one from a dealer and another from a guy on here in the BST. We are talking about the trailing arms now.........Runs from under the rear seat to the spindle.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
yes thats the one... i think i bent my drivers side one...

·
Captain Retard
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They are easy enough to change, just put in new bushings.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts