Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been comparing different dampeners for my focus and was wondering if anyone had any opinions they would share with me on what the best is and the pros/cons of different brands
thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
Dynamat: Excellent product, horridly overpriced
Fatmat: Very cheap, terrible quaity www.don'tbuythiscrap.com
Raamat: Reasonably priced, quality product, messy install www.raamaudio.com
Secondskin: Excellent product, easy install/clean application, costs a bit more than average www.secondskinaudio.com
eDead v1: Cheap, bad quality www.edesignaudio.com
eDead v2 and later: Reasonably priced, acceptable quality, overrated specs

www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

·
Registered
92 Posts
Dynamat is good, but overpriced. Hushmat works as well for much less money.

In my experience, the spray-on type is never a good substitute for the sheet material. The sprays I have used do not have enough mass when dry.

·
Registered
759 Posts
i've used both hushmat and dynomat, hushmat is thinner but denser so it works about the same, i prefer hush mat as it is a little thinner, and black.. so if you can't cover it, or paint it, then it doesn't stand out real bad. even though i say this i'm still getting dynomat installed in my car simply because that's what the shop that's doing my enclosure uses.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much are they charging you to dynomat your car? I am considering having that done myself, mostly to cut down on road noise.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
This is what i got. it helped a lot

·
Registered
98 Posts
Secondskin: Excellent product, easy install/clean application, costs a bit more than average www.secondskinaudio.com

The thread you linked to is very out of date. I work for elemental designs. We have changed our product 3 times since this website has been up.

The eDead products are not asphalt based. They dont even go by the same names anymore. I think Raamat and secondskin changed their products around since then as well.

Overall the site does a good job teaching about what sound damping does, but its out of date, by three years-four years.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much are they charging you to dynomat your car? I am considering having that done myself, mostly to cut down on road noise.
I have seen some places charge as much as $300-$400 not including the product.

In all honesty, I would suggest doing it yourself. If you can take the car apart, by all means do it. If you cant take the interior apart, learn. :)

There are a couple ways to reduce road noise.

The first is a mass loader. This adds weight to the door panel and reduces resonance. In combination with the butyl rubber and aluminum backing, it lowers the resonance frequency, and reduces vibration/rattles. This generally helps reduce road noise from 250hz and down.

The next way to reduce road noise, is with an upper frequency barrier. This in most cases is a foam layer that soaks up higher frequencies from 250hz up to 20,000hz. This is usually the most effective at reducing road noise, due to the broad frequency range that it covers.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I know that sounddeadenershowdown is out of date, but i posted it because of its educational value.

There's no denial that edead v1 is asphalt. It's been common knowledge for years. I did say, however, that the newer eDead is okay (and by v2 and later, I meant anything after eDead v1. I know y'all have changed the name). I've seen various reviews of newer versions and most have concluded that it's an alright product, it just doesn't quite live up to its specs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Its good to see that you understand that, and I am in no way trying to start a fight or argument.

While you know its out of date, people that read it for the first time might not, without some form of disclaimer.

That is correct, eDead v1 was asphalt, I say ways as the eDead v1, or v2 have not been available for over 2.5 years. The eDead v1^2 and Se^2 have both been butyl, but have been gone for 6+ months now, and the new products are out. Have you seen any reviews of the 45, 80 and 120 eDead? We have sold tons, but not much for reviews have been our way yet. Other than emails from happy customers.

All in all, no mater what the guy chooses, it will make a noticeable difference. It really comes down to budget, and what his goals are.

One other product that was not mentioned, is liquid sound proofing materials. I prefer liquid deadeners over the mat counterparts. Due to the ease of installation, effectiveness, and being considerably lighter than their mat cousins. ;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
May I suggest that y'all take a marketing approach similar to what Ant of SecondSkin did on ca.com? He gave away a bunch of Damplifier Pro in exchange for people writing reviews on it. In return for his investment, he has an overwhelming amount of positive reviews on his product. Maybe y'all should have some kind of promo deal (Outside of icix, because honestly, most people think it's a joke) where you give away, or give a significant discount on eDead in exchange for people writing reviews on it. You've got to get people excited about your product!

edit: And the only reason I brought up eDead v1 is that for some odd reason, there still seems to be a bunch of it floating around. I've seen lots people using it because it's so cheap. I guess they're picking it up on eBay, Forums or Craigslist... or something.

·
Registered
98 Posts
May I suggest that y'all take a marketing approach similar to what Ant of SecondSkin did on ca.com? He gave away a bunch of Damplifier Pro in exchange for people writing reviews on it. In return for his investment, he has an overwhelming amount of positive reviews on his product. Maybe y'all should have some kind of promo deal (Outside of icix, because honestly, most people think it's a joke) where you give away, or give a significant discount on eDead in exchange for people writing reviews on it. You've got to get people excited about your product!

edit: And the only reason I brought up eDead v1 is that for some odd reason, there still seems to be a bunch of it floating around. I've seen lots people using it because it's so cheap. I guess they're picking it up on eBay, Forums or Craigslist... or something.
We have done those exact things in the past, but then we had people saying that we had been trying to bribe people into positive reviews when they had positive things to say. Overall we decided to stay away from that approach. We dont have our forum on icix anymore. We now have our own forum based off our website, much like AV123 does for home theater products.

Overall I want to make sure that you understand, im not here to sell stuff. Thats not what Im trying to do. I own an SVT focus and want to be here. I just wanted to make sure negative information wasnt put forward.

I think you are either confused with the naming designation, the person posting is confused with the name designation/ actual product they own, or worst of all lying about it. (As stupid as it sound, but it happens with our hater bandwagon.)

Our eDead products over the years have been:

V1,V2, V3, SE, V1^2, SE^2, V4-Teklite, eDead 45, eDead 80, and eDead 120.

The V1, V2, and SE have not been sold in over 3 years.

Anyway, Im going to stop, as this is a get away for me. I dont need to be talking about work.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Bump for a great post.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Bump for a great post.
As has already been mentioned, a lot of that info's outdated.

Having said that, I'll throw a whole new wrench into the gears of this discussion. Most of my trunk (except for the deck lid) is wrapped in "Peal 'N Seal" from Home Depot. It's ghetto as hell, but perfectly functional. It'll fall right off the deck lid from the heat in the summer though, so you can't use it there.

The interior of my car is all Dynamat and/or the liquid version of eDead. Both work great and don't smell funny.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Peel n Seal is pretty ghetto, and living in Florida, that stuff is a no-no for a number of reasons. Mostly that the heat will cause it to melt and slide off / fall off. However, it is okay to use for things like floors or wheel wells because it's not going to fall off. (If it did, WTF?!) That is, if you don't mind the funny asphalt smell.

I personally stick to SecondSkin for a number of reasons. It's possibly the highest quality stuff on the market, it's not as expensive as Dynamat, and Ant, the owner of SecondSkin, backs his product and will personally answer your questions.

I'm a sucker for smaller companies because they offer the best customer service. Hell, I'm facebook friends with the owner of Mach 5 Audio :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts