Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone noticed a premature wear in all the brake components in there foci? my dealer told me that its a common problem that simply isnt recognised by ford.

·
Registered
2017 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost
266 Posts
Almost 19k on mine and they look fine so far. How many miles on yours? I read somewhere on the forum that there's a service bulletin about noisey brakes and a different brake shoe material from Ford.

·
Registered
507 Posts
i make 20 000km in 2 year (mostly in city)...

at 15 000km my rear pads are all cracked

at 18 000km, my front disc are really deformated by overheating

i dont put back factory replacement disc, i got brembo rotor (straight)... a couple of focus guy on the quebec with this brembo rotor test it on track, and they resist to overheating a lot more than factory rotor

and the most beautiful in that, brembo rotor (straight) are near 50% cheaper than ford factory rotor

ford factory rotor 120$can each
Brembo straight rotor 65$can each

·
Registered
639 Posts
ive heard of a lot of people having brake problems. i have 45000 miles on my focus, and the brakes are wearing normally. havent had a problem yet

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had premature wear on mine. I bought the car with 16k, at 19k I had to replace the front discs. I have no idea how the previous owner drove the thing, but 19k is rediculous. Ford dealer told me that anything past 12k is considered "wear and tear".

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
replaced mine at about 22K. they're just cheap, that's all (and a heavy foot doesn't help either). lots of people have had issues with these. ford really won't do anything about it, but the aftermarket for the focus is cheap and abundant. i'd recommend looking here:

www.batinc.net

Mike

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I definetly noticed that my brakes were wearing away bad. The brake dust built up on my rims really bad too, I hated that.

·
Registered
793 Posts
i only have a problem with the rear drums, they squeak and the dealer says they are fine!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DAMN, Im glad that im not the only one dealing with this.
I think we need to start a campain to get ford to hold themselves accountable
for these problems. Ive writtin 12 emails so far. no responce. If every here writes just one, and has other foci drivers write one also (wether they have a problem YET or not), we could be looking at a seriously different attitude from them.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
ford wont help u at all with this they have next to no warranty on break parts. their most common problem is uneven wear, so even if ur rotor looks fine reach in and feel the inside of it. i had to replace mine at approx 20k also www.batinc.net has probably the best deals on brake parts for stock replacement. i got new pads and rotors for 120 shipped and shipped very quickly. i still have all my old brake parts and i have to take a couple new pix for AEM so ill take pix of those too so i can show u guys how extreme the uneven wear is,.

·
Registered
270 Posts
has anyone done the bat inc rear disk brake kit conversion???? is it worth it or does it not make much of a difference and if it makes good improvements how hard is it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
i had the prob with my front discs and i switched to kevlar pads and they r workin great,but now the rear drums r squeakin so this summer im gonna switch to disks on the back and use kevlar pads on the back too.but kevlars r great alot less dust.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
almost 50k on mine they doing alright but i'm getting new ones in the spring

·
FF Veteran Goofball
5,741 Posts
Hey John... thanks for starting this topic. I have 30k on my baby and my brakes sound like hell. Squeeky and I can hear major grinding now. This has been going on for a while so I know that if I don't get it fixed soon I will ruin my rotors. Or do you think they are already ruined?? What should I fix? Take it to Ford and have them fix it or go to a place like "Just Brakes" or "Pep Boys" and have them fix the brakes??? (so clueless... help!)
I am gonna look into those kevlars since I hear they don't cause as much brake dust

·
Registered
39 Posts
Actually when I owned my focus I didn't have any probs with the brakes. It had 40k on it when I bought it and when I sold it at 56k the brakes looked just as good. No squealing (sp.) or anything odd.

jrzx3: Take a look at your rotors and look for any valleys or grooves in them. They should be pretty smooth. Also it may seem like a lot of work but you can do a front brake change in under 2 hours (very conservative by the way it can be done quicker) its pretty easy to do. It could save you some money. Just pick up a haynes manual and you should be fine.

Hope that helps.

EE

·
Registered
123 Posts
kevlar pads were a godsent to me.cleaned up the dust probs and give to me a smoother feeling when braking followed by a nice final jerk at the end but nothin bad tho.got a set off ebay for both fronts for like 45 shipped they were apex brand kevlar pads.

·
FF Veteran Goofball
5,741 Posts
I just printed out some info from Batinc.com but I will take a look at those kevlars... Thanks guys ^^^^

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jrzx3 said:
Hey John... thanks for starting this topic. I have 30k on my baby and my brakes sound like hell. Squeeky and I can hear major grinding now. .... (so clueless... help!)
I am gonna look into those kevlars since I hear they don't cause as much brake dust
Hey girl Ive gotten my brakes worked on twice at the dealership for free. front disks and pads tottaly replaced for free with new parts that arent supposed to wear ass fast. the still wear fast but at least theyre new. Hey baby if you have any mor problems feel free to email me anytime.
[email protected]

·
Registered
308 Posts
I was told that probably at my 15k service, I will need pads and rotors. That is in 1500 miles. We'll see what the verdict is. My opinion is, I don't mind going through brakes. I don't know why. I guess I don't have a problem with pre-mature wear. I work in the Volvo/Jaguar parts department. The Volvo S40's seem to go through pads about once a year. It's just a design thing I guess. Owners have just come to deal with it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts