Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was recently gouged by a city snow plow. They admitted to everything and are doing right by it. I got 2 estimates for repair, one was ~$2500 and the other was ~$2100. They are sending me a personal cheque for the lower estimate so I can repair the trunk.

Personally I think that the trunk could probably just be repaired with a scrap part pull. I've done a bit of research and it seems a good quality one is going for like $400-$500 on eBay. All of the damage is just on the trunk itself.

Would there be much of a difference in paint color between the trunk and the rest of the car? Do you guys think this is a good idea?

Here's a couple of photos of the damage.

Thank you!
-Jake

·
Registered
17,309 Posts
That new it might well look all right. Depends on the color, some get off of the original easier than others.

May have to ship the part, My yard experience says harder to find a part on car that new right close and local.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
honestly i think you have the right idea. I'd get the lid of ebay and install it yourself. if the color doesnt match perfect then get it repainted. it would still cost under a $1000 totall and then you can pocket the other $1000.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found one that is about 2 hours away for $500, might just go for that! I'm slightly color-blind anyway so I probably wont be able to tell haha

·
Registered
289 Posts
My car was recently gouged by a city snow plow. They admitted to everything and are doing right by it. I got 2 estimates for repair, one was ~$2500 and the other was ~$2100. They are sending me a personal cheque for the lower estimate so I can repair the trunk.

Personally I think that the trunk could probably just be repaired with a scrap part pull. I've done a bit of research and it seems a good quality one is going for like $400-$500 on eBay. All of the damage is just on the trunk itself.

Would there be much of a difference in paint color between the trunk and the rest of the car? Do you guys think this is a good idea?

Here's a couple of photos of the damage.

Thank you!
-Jake
My only word of caution is to make sure that the lid mounts and latch mechanism aren't damaged. It looks from your pictures that the damage is indeed localized to the lid of the trunk but it could have bent the mounts, brackets, or latch mechanism in such a way that the new lid would not close and seal 100%. You definitely have the right idea...and you could even still buy the lid and take it to the shop to have it replaced and have ~$1100 left over.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My only word of caution is to make sure that the lid mounts and latch mechanism aren't damaged. It looks from your pictures that the damage is indeed localized to the lid of the trunk but it could have bent the mounts, brackets, or latch mechanism in such a way that the new lid would not close and seal 100%. You definitely have the right idea...and you could even still buy the lid and take it to the shop to have it replaced and have ~$1100 left over.
I got a replacement trunk today and installed it. Color looks good, however, I was unable to align it properly. I made an appointment with the local ford dealer to see if they could re-align it. One side is just higher then the other. Here's some pictures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts