Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently damaged my engine (wrong gear from top of 3rd). now i want to fix my engine but i want to give it more power. Im thinking over 200hp but im not sure what and how to do it. i know i want to port my head and give some nice cams, maybe stage 4? valves and spring. Has any one done a project like this, what does it take exactly and how much? Need some feed-back...[dunno]

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
In a way you're pretty lucky, youve got an excuse to get the Ford Racing Duratec Head, already ported from the factory. Polishing is over rated. Just get that head and drop in tappets and your cams (I believe everything else is installed, not sure if the springs can handle stg 2s+). Stg. 4s may be excessive, you can reach 200 on stg 2s and a few other things.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ford racing duratec head? how much for just the head? it would not be more worth it to send it out and get it ported? and cam it your self. im going to have to get new valve-stems, (so im told) because my car TICKS LOUD.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It's a brand new head with springs/valves already installed (not sure of the specs), you can find it for anywhere between 800 and 900 dollars. It's really tricky for the duratec head to be ported right, and even then to do it right probably 400+, add a new valvetrain and its not much less than getting that brand new head. Be wary of flow bench numbers though, they arent an indicator for hp. Everyone pretty much agrees that the Ford Racing head is the best bang for the buck, no one has done a better job with the exhaust ports.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh man thanx a lot, this helps so much. i was looking at heads for my car and they were over 3 grand. thats why i recited to do it the hard way. Would you recommended stage 2 cams for the springs that come with the head? one last thing, what would be the best website to order the head from?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx alot, when i figure this website out ill be sure to leave you feedback..[wrenchin]

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I asked around about the springs, but no one knew. Best way to get a real answer would be to call Ford racing at (800) FORD788. Stg. 2s with the ported head would be an awesome set-up.

As far as ordering probably the lowest price would be through getting ahold of mike (he's b16sir1991)at hilbish ford, he can get you a discount on ford parts. If not, f2focus.com has it for 879.00.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If you get that head coupled with Stg.2 cranes and cai/catback/header/custom tune, I have no doubt you'll get it (crank, not wheels unless you add the cosworth intake manifold). For an added kick, see if you can get the head milled to raise the compression, word is .015 is the most youll want to do to stay on 93 octane. And no problemo

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Alot can happen, depends on how much over revving occurs, and every engine is different. The Valves will be bent, maybe piston damage (imagine the valves hitting the pistons hundreds of time per second. Have seen a valve bend so bad it broke off a spark plug and was lodged in the cylinder. Hence my nervousness on high revving, it is really bad, especially on an interference motor.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Its called a mechanical over-rev. Going from the top of third into second is one example. The car is travelling around 90mph and the top of second gear redlines around 55-60. So when you drop the clutch going into second from third, the engine tries to match the transmissions speed regardless of governer. So if the redline is 6500 and you go from 3rd to 2nd at redline the motor is going to try to match this speed and probably rev up to around 9000 or so if you don't catch it quick. The governer can stop you from over-revving while going up in gears but not down as the connection between the engine and transmission is mechanical, not electrical.

Its a good way to warp camshafts, ruin valve seats, guides, etc. Really bad.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
so if i get on the show pinks an i know im going to loose i should shift it into 1st after i shifted into 5th? right? [histerical]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts