Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi team,

I snapped the clip off one end of a fuel line when I was dropped the tank. is it likely I would find an exact replacement at the auto store or should I buy the connectors and hose and make one? The hose is rigid feels like it has a layer of sheet metal in it, not sure what its called looks to be about 1cm in diameter. We are in lockdown at the moment so I have to be very careful what I order as it takes a week to arrive so need to be sure I get it right.

Wood Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Line
Hand Automotive tire Finger Thumb Wood
Hand Automotive tire Wood Gesture Thumb

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok so on the connectors they both have: "pa12-gf30 "
the cable itself has: fomoco v3m51-9a322-ag <29.11.04/21:02> pb562 oowoa (could be ppwoa)

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 160k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 189k miles
3,309 Posts
That will be a ford only part. Either from the junkyard or order online or the dealership.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
thanks yeah just mind blanked, of course the wreckers will be the easiest and cheapest route. cheers!
You're welcome. The clips don't come all the way out. Squeeze the bottom ends and push up about 3 or 4mm. The fuel line should then release easily.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're welcome. The clips don't come all the way out. Squeeze the bottom ends and push up about 3 or 4mm. The fuel line should then release easily.
Ah is that the trick, I got frustrated and pried it out with a screwdriver and snapped the clip in half

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
...The clips don't come all the way out....
Yes, and no. The clips will come out, and this is somewhat easy to do with tiny tools like picks and other. Old clips are frail, and are likely to break during removal. The clips are also available as a part replacement item, and are available in different sizes.

Those ivory colored clips, inside of the OP connector, and inside of many-many other fuel lines and EVAP connectors, are not meant to be (1) removed or (2) pried-up & pushed-out "partially". The intended disconnection method of these connectors is to use hard thumb pressure onto the "ivory tab" AND THEN push & pull & wiggle the connector for disconnection. If this "thumb press" primary method fails and your thumb/finger tips are making you cry in pain, you would obviously move to the next step-> remove the clip entirely -or- partially removing it by "raising the clip only some" to disengage the clip. Did I once (almost) cry in pain fighting a fuel line connector "thumb pressing" a clip at my fuel filter? -yeah, maybe?
However the "thumb press method" did win. I think I might have lost some feeling in my thumb tip for a day or two. I doubt I will do that again, plus, I have spare clips (in two sizes) hidden or lost inside of my garage. Note to Marde: Find those spare clips dummy.

Search for: Fuel Line Retainer Clips Compatible Ford
Example: 5/16" Fuel Line Retainer Clips Compatible with Ford 2F1Z-9A317-AA

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, and no. The clips will come out, and this is somewhat easy to do with tiny tools like picks and other. Old clips are frail, and are likely to break during removal. The clips are also available as a part replacement item, and are available in different sizes.

Those ivory colored clips, inside of the OP connector, and inside of many-many other fuel lines and EVAP connectors, are not meant to be (1) removed or (2) pried-up & pushed-out "partially". The intended disconnection method of these connectors is to use hard thumb pressure onto the "ivory tab" AND THEN push & pull & wiggle the connector for disconnection. If this "thumb press" primary method fails and your thumb/finger tips are making you cry in pain, you would obviously move to the next step-> remove the clip entirely -or- partially removing it by "raising the clip only some" to disengage the clip. Did I once (almost) cry in pain fighting a fuel line connector "thumb pressing" a clip at my fuel filter? -yeah, maybe?
However the "thumb press method" did win. I think I might have lost some feeling in my thumb tip for a day or two. I doubt I will do that again, plus, I have spare clips (in two sizes) hidden or lost inside of my garage. Note to Marde: Find those spare clips dummy.

haha my thumbs are still hurting the next day. And your post just gave me another great idea, I can buy a pack of those connectors by the half dozen for a few dollars, I'm sure I could manage to remove one of the ivory clips without breaking it and put it into my existing connector.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Yeah, and I wish you good luck going forward with your repairs.
I did not understand your 3rd picture. It looks like a rabid animal went ballistic on that end, and that thing is too far gone. RIP.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts

I disagree. The clips were not designed to come out. Ford never sold just the clips, you had to buy the whole fuel line. Having changed upwards of 30 fuel filters on foci, I'm pretty certain of the correct removal procedure.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Hey, pbfoot, maybe you misread what I wrote? Or I was not clear.
I agree, and I think the clips are not meant to be removed, or not designed to be removed ((as part of normal use & connector disconnection)). Despite what we think, many people DO break them and/or break the clip while trying to remove them. My key message was do not remove them, and instead, just "press down" on the clip button-head to disconnect + add push-pull motion. Separately, if anyone is having a problem with one of these connectors, it is OPTIONAL to remove the clip or partially remove the clip. I remember attempting the "partially removed clip method" but it did not work for me. Ford and the After-market does sell only the clips, and I assume it has been this way for many years. I bought some clips in advance, back in 2013-14, but strangely never broke one,... there is always next time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi team,

I snapped the clip off one end of a fuel line when I was dropped the tank. is it likely I would find an exact replacement at the auto store or should I buy the connectors and hose and make one? The hose is rigid feels like it has a layer of sheet metal in it, not sure what its called looks to be about 1cm in diameter. We are in lockdown at the moment so I have to be very careful what I order as it takes a week to arrive so need to be sure I get it right.

View attachment 311512 View attachment 311513 View attachment 311514
Ok, not sure about your repair, but what was your vehicle doing that caused you to drop the tank? I'm having issues, I'll be driving and all of a sudden it is like it is not getting any fuel and it spits and spudders and dies out, usually have to sit for a minimum of 20 minutes before it will start again, then in less than 10 minutes it is doing the same thing, have changed out the fuel filter, the plug wires and the coil pack, guy who did the work said the fuel coming out of the intake side of the filter says it looks like coke (or pepsi) in color. could it be I need a new fuel tank - just asking because I don't know.

·
Registered
2006 Focus ZX5 SES Hatch 2.0
43 Posts
Side note, but I agree with above on pushing the white rectangle part of clip down with thumb, thats what worked on mine, and didnt take much pressure surprisingly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, not sure about your repair, but what was your vehicle doing that caused you to drop the tank? I'm having issues, I'll be driving and all of a sudden it is like it is not getting any fuel and it spits and spudders and dies out, usually have to sit for a minimum of 20 minutes before it will start again, then in less than 10 minutes it is doing the same thing, have changed out the fuel filter, the plug wires and the coil pack, guy who did the work said the fuel coming out of the intake side of the filter says it looks like coke (or pepsi) in color. could it be I need a new fuel tank - just asking because I don't know.
In our case the engine was rough only when accerating at first, then got a bit worse even idling became rough aswell, then it broke down completely it would start but turn off after a second or two. Removing the fuel hose from the fuel rail showed no gas coming through when starting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright still need some help!!

So I got the hose from the wreckers, now it looks like they have tried to release it (see its pried up a bit) then decided against it and chopped the hose instead.

Any suggestions on how these are supposed to release? the white tab that is flush is solid, its not moving in at all, not sure if the other side is supposed to go in our out?

Automotive tire Gas Rim Wood Font

Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Audio equipment Gadget Rim

Wood Gas Font Tool Audio equipment

Sleeve Gesture Fedora Headgear Sun hat

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
That exact style of clip is not like the type I have on my Focus fuel lines, -or is not like the ones I have on my engine fuel-rail or at my fuel filter. If that style is on my car (at a unique location) I do not remember seeing it or using it.
BTW, you never told us your car model and car year? Are you located in New Zealand? If not, where are you?
If the clip is not moving at all, I will assume it is stuck or seized or someone glued it in place after having problems with it previously.
Also, please tell us the start-point and end-point locations of this fuel line that you are having problems with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That exact style of clip is not like the type I have on my Focus fuel lines, -or is not like the ones I have on my engine fuel-rail or at my fuel filter. If that style is on my car (at a unique location) I do not remember seeing it or using it.
BTW, you never told us your car model and car year? Are you located in New Zealand? If not, where are you?
If the clip is not moving at all, I will assume it is stuck or seized or someone glued it in place after having problems with it previously.
Also, please tell us the start-point and end-point locations of this fuel line that you are having problems with.
Hi there, yes I am in new zealand.

The car is: Ford Focus, 2005, 2.0 litre 2.0L DURATEC I4 16v DOHC MPFI {107kW} LS

The official ford part number is: 3m51-9a322-ag
Now ag seems not very common, where as aa does, they may be the same thing but cannot confirm that

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Hi there, yes I am in new zealand.

The car is: Ford Focus, 2005, 2.0 litre 2.0L DURATEC I4 16v DOHC MPFI {107kW} LS

The official ford part number is: 3m51-9a322-ag
Now ag seems not very common, where as aa does, they may be the same thing but cannot confirm that
I will assume you have some (1 or 2 original and 1 or 2 from the wreckers) damaged fuel lines. Your choices are maybe obvious. Find a non-damaged replacement at the wreckers or order a new replacement/s. I have no idea which one (-aa or -ag) or BOTH might work for you. Maybe call a local or Australian Ford dealership Parts Department and ask about the -aa and -ag differences? This is one of those things where you gotta be there to figure it out. Another option is to manufacture your own custom fuel line? Wish you good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will assume you have some (1 or 2 original and 1 or 2 from the wreckers) damaged fuel lines. Your choices are maybe obvious. Find a non-damaged replacement at the wreckers or order a new replacement/s. I have no idea which one (-aa or -ag) or BOTH might work for you. Maybe call a local or Australian Ford dealership Parts Department and ask about the -aa and -ag differences? This is one of those things where you gotta be there to figure it out. Another option is to manufacture your own custom fuel line? Wish you good luck.

So the one I got from the wreckers, is 100% what I need, (the bit they cut through is not part I need) all I need to figure out is how to remove the cut cable from it without breaking it and I assume clipping it back onto the cars fuel line should be a fairly straight forward process. I suspect I will end up using a jewellery flat head screw driver and gently pry that clip all the way out and pray for the best.

edit: seems very similar to this one actually:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I watched that video. I have no experience with that type of clip, so I also have no idea if that type of retainer clip can be removed and then re-used. All of my prior posts in this thread were based on a different style clip, one that is common here in NA (North America) for the Focus MKI and MKII Focus.
I wish we would have ID'ed your connector type & the exact retaining clip type much earlier.
It is my guess, that your clip can be replaced (but still unsure about re-use). If it can not be replaced, that would leave many car owner's upset to learn that an entire new/replacement fuel line must be purchased in the event of "only a broken clip"->> that would be a big fuss, and it would piss-off a lot of people. This however would not be unbelievable, as similar things have happened with Ford and other car mfr's too. Some people ((not much by me)) believe that car mfr's do this kind-of-thing ON PURPOSE to force you into their part supply system, with a malicious design WITH PRIMARY intentions to only make more money with their OEM parts once part-x was broken.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts