Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days after buying I got into a small fender-bender with another car on the freeway (she hit the brakes hard a little too late, I was able to follow suit so the collision was less than 10mph -- hooray for SE sports package brakes).

Thankfully, no significant damage was done to either car other than some scuffing.

However, today I noticed that there's a slight warping on the right side of the bumper in the area where it meets the right side of the black grill. I guess it it took the right light and angle to see it.

The resulting bump is slightly *elevated* and not compressed like you'd think a dent would be. Its only noticeable up close. There's a a very small, fine line scratch going to the right fog light enclosure.

Despite the fact that only I can tell up close after going over it a million times doesn't matter. I want it fixed. New car. Pride. Etc.

My question is, could it be ironed out without replacing the entire bumper?

I'll add some pics tomorrow after work when its light.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think pictures would help anyone who actually has knowledge of fixing such damage.

Did she hit the car in front of her? The hard part is you hit her so it's really difficult to prove that it's her fault and not yours. Otherwise I'd say just file a claim. Regardless, just go get it checked out by somebody to see what the extent of the damage is.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Be more weary of the damage that you can't see. There may be structural weakening of the front bumper, that could cause a much larger problem if you were to have another bender bender.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Assuming there is no damage the actual bumper structure under the bumper cover the body shop will just replace the cover. The painting will include painting the entire cover, likely off the car, feathering the paint onto both fenders and the hood and clearing the cover plus the fenders and hood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the photos. The damage is really hard to see, especially with sterling gray. The top down view shows how the symmetry is off slightly the best. Again its not a dent in the traditional sense, as the damage protrudes slightly.

I've heard that plastic bumpers are hard to fix without outright replacing. Given the minor damage, could it be pressed back into the right shape?

·
Registered
724 Posts
You might want to heat the area with a hair dryer. Plastic will quite often return to its original shape when stress relieved.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
If there is no evidence of a collision you may be able to make a warranty claim?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts