Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a shop replace my rear main seal on my ST (duratec 23). Should I have them replace anything else (clutch, flywheel, axle seals) while they have it apart?

BTW...they quoted $1100 to do the rear main seal. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
172 Posts
axle seals would be a good thing to change. just have them inspect the clutch to see how much life is left on it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm having a shop replace my rear main seal on my ST (duratec 23). Should I have them replace anything else (clutch, flywheel, axle seals) while they have it apart?

BTW...they quoted $1100 to do the rear main seal. Any thoughts?
I absolutely would install a new clutch disk and pressure plate, is the seal leaking profusely? maybe there is oil on the clutch? I also would replace the slave if it is an internal one which I believe it is. You want to replace any seals that you can on the tranny......the $1,100 to drop the tranny and swap out the seal sounds like the Stealer-ship price but I am only guessing........the seal probably cost $30 and the rest is labor...........I think you have a timing chain but i always wondered that if you needed a timing belt and a clutch if it is possible to remove the engine and leave the tranny in the car?

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
My $.02 would be to get a few buddies over with a pizza and some drinks and pull that sucker out and do it my self, and depending on mileage maybe the clutch as well. For $1100 I could think of a lot of things to do while its out.
Rock Auto lists the Rear Main at around $30-$40! that leaves $1060 in labor!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pizza...check
Beer...check
Buddies...check
Garage and time...:(

Thanks for the replies. I wish I had the time to do this myself, but I'm traveling a lot for work right now. The car has just under 120k on it. The shop has a lot of good reviews and charges $80/hr.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Pizza...check
Beer...check
Buddies...check
Garage and time...:(

Thanks for the replies. I wish I had the time to do this myself, but I'm traveling a lot for work right now. The car has just under 120k on it. The shop has a lot of good reviews and charges $80/hr.
I gave it some thought and did a little research........they are screwing you...my guess is it is a 6 hour job.........I would find someone else http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN1Z_xsmae0

·
Registered
228 Posts
also the mere fact that they did not strongly suggest a new clutch with 120k on the car says a lot on its own........I bet some reputable shops would not even do that job unless they were installing a new clutch along with it.......are you sure it is the rear main seal does it pour out? drip?

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
^^^ $1100 with a new clutch, that's a little more palpable, but man that's still a lot of money.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even if parts and fluids are about $100, the $1000 for labor equates to 12.5 hours. I'm having the dealership quote it for a reference point.

The leak started as a slow drip in the spring. It has become a pretty steady drip now.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Even if parts and fluids are about $100, the $1000 for labor equates to 12.5 hours. I'm having the dealership quote it for a reference point.

The leak started as a slow drip in the spring. It has become a pretty steady drip now.
there is no way ford will be carrying 12.5 hours to replace the seal......,,,,,I would do some more research on it.........I think you might have a duel mass flywheel......they are expensive and I don't think they can be turned........I would make sure that the flywheel was not the cause of the leak?

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
12.5 hour is kinda high but really not bad. I have never pulled a focus transmission. But, i did just pull the tranny on a 2008 SAAB. i had it out in just over 4 hours i imagine i'll have it back together in another 4. that gives them an estimated 4 hours for extras, get a clutch and make sure there is no extra labor, it comes apart anyway.

the only time a flywheel can cause a leak is if its a blow out dual mass, you would notice an severe vibration if the flywheel was blown. All the bad dual mass fly wheels i have seen leaked oil then vibrated severely.

·
Registered
228 Posts
12.5 hour is kinda high but really not bad. I have never pulled a focus transmission. But, i did just pull the tranny on a 2008 SAAB. i had it out in just over 4 hours i imagine i'll have it back together in another 4. that gives them an estimated 4 hours for extras, get a clutch and make sure there is no extra labor, it comes apart anyway.

the only time a flywheel can cause a leak is if its a blow out dual mass, you would notice an severe vibration if the flywheel was blown. All the bad dual mass fly wheels i have seen leaked oil then vibrated severely.
the more I think about it I can not imagine a reputable shop not even suggesting to replace the disk if they were going to drop a manual tranny to replace the rear main seal............I would stay away from them...IMHO

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealership quoted $727 out the door. I have the official quote from the shop. He quoted 11.9 hours. He wondered how the dealership could do it that cheap. funny.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts