Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 08 Sedan(it's really my ol' lady's car) and for what ever reason it likes to "eat" it's #1 plug. I used to use E3's until the car ate the first one and the center electrode nearly fell into the combustion chamber then two set's of Bosch Iridiums and both times the ground strap was missing. It does this and the only time it misfired was with the E3. I'm at a loss. Is this normal or do I have bad luck with plugs?

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
First let me say E3 plugs do nothing for performance or MPG , they actually suck and cost far to much to suck

If your loosing the wire ( ground strap ) thats from excessive heat in the cylinders , either to much timing or to little fuel ( running lean )

Do you have any mods , do you have a tune

Tom

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Both brands have a poor rep. in these, factory/autolite are better choices.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is bone stock. And the E3's were junk, I only used them once. I've never had issues with bosch before. What is weird to me is it's only on the #1 cyl.

Edit: Also, for those that don't know, Pulstar plugs are a lie too.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Bosch plugs are terrible in Fords as well. I'd highly recommend getting a set of Motorcraft or Autolite plugs. If you're still having problems after then there's something else going on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw Autolite 103's and 104's are popular what would be reccomended for better economy? Not, really looking to make power. The only mod I see this car getting is a stock replacement KN filter. This is more of a Daily that make routine trips to Chicagoland.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I saw Autolite 103's and 104's are popular what would be reccomended for better economy? Not, really looking to make power. The only mod I see this car getting is a stock replacement KN filter. This is more of a Daily that make routine trips to Chicagoland.
OEM Motorcraft SP-448 plugs are your best bet when it comes to longevity and reliability. Little bit more pricey but they'll last just as long as the ones that came from the factory which I believe is 100k. You can find them at RockAuto for a bit less than most places.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Price don't bother me, the perk of working at Ghettozone is that I gat 20% discount for putting up with the local ricers, and I'm not simply referring to kids with imports, I'm talking about the "CAI and a Fart cannon makes my Saturn a race car" ricers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm glad my project truck isn't picky about plugs lol. 92 D21 w/ VG33 swap. As long as the plugs thread in it'll run within 1-2mpg without a noticeable loss or gain in power. though it idles about ~50ish rpm lower with NGK's

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First let me say E3 plugs do nothing for performance or MPG , they actually suck and cost far to much to suck

If your loosing the wire ( ground strap ) thats from excessive heat in the cylinders , either to much timing or to little fuel ( running lean )

Do you have any mods , do you have a tune

Tom
Ok, so I know it's the dreaded multi post but, would a dirty maf cause the excessive heat issue? I have never cleaned the maf nor has it been replaced and the car just rolled 100k

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Maybe run a nice strong ground wire from the ground of the batt to the engine. Make sure you ground it to steel not aluminum!! You could be frying them due to a poor engine ground or the batt ground could be faulty.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gotta start off with stock plugs as a baseline before doing any experimentation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts