Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am heading back to the dragstrip to hopefully beat my old best time of 16.2 @85.31. My car since then now has much more upgrades (you can see them in my mod list) not to mention a tune. My last runs were also with a non tach cluster so I had no idea where I was launching from, that has also changed since then. My goal is to at least hit mid 15's (though something like 15.2 would be nice). What is the best RPM to launch the D20 with minimal wheelspin? I have heard 2600ish before, other input would be nice. I am also running a Cosi-knockoff which changed my powerband dramatically for a nice boost of upper RPMs. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
740 Posts
It really all depends on what tires you have, how sticky they are, how wide they are, etc. If you have motor mounts that can change things too. There's really no set in stone RPM to launch at. Power mods change how easy it is for the engine to break the tires loose too. Way too many variables. You can try some test launches on a side street to get an idea but it'll never be the same as a track.

My best 1/4 so far was in my Mustang at 14.01 secs. Not too bad for a V6.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Totally stock on stock tires I launched at about 3k RPM with minimal wheelspin.

Since your mods change your powerband, I think you're gonna have to figure it out for yourself unless someone with the exact same mods has something to say...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It really all depends on what tires you have, how sticky they are, how wide they are, etc. If you have motor mounts that can change things too. There's really no set in stone RPM to launch at. Power mods change how easy it is for the engine to break the tires loose too. Way too many variables. You can try some test launches on a side street to get an idea but it'll never be the same as a track.

My best 1/4 so far was in my Mustang at 14.01 secs. Not too bad for a V6.
No upgraded motor mounts (yet). Gonna have to save up first. I am running crappy Firestone Affinitys. Those 3.7 Cyclones are good bang for your buck.

Totally stock on stock tires I launched at about 3k RPM with minimal wheelspin.

Since your mods change your powerband, I think you're gonna have to figure it out for yourself unless someone with the exact same mods has something to say...
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
In my last D20, I was launching at just under 3K and achieved a 15.9. Now then, I only had an intake, tune, exhaust with low profile tires on 17s (not ideal for drag racing, but I felt it was pretty good anyway). You are going to have to test out a few launches to see what works best, especially since you have the intake manifold and header now. Sounds like a low 15 is in your future!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my last D20, I was launching at just under 3K and achieved a 15.9. Now then, I only had an intake, tune, exhaust with low profile tires on 17s (not ideal for drag racing, but I felt it was pretty good anyway). You are going to have to test out a few launches to see what works best, especially since you have the intake manifold and header now. Sounds like a low 15 is in your future!

I like the sound of that, can't wait to go back out there. [woot]

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Okay so I finally headed back out to the track again last Sunday. Basically last time I was on a SRI/Catback/67mm tb setup w/ no tune. Since then I have added quite a bit of mods and most importantly a tune. I did a total of 9 passes and was surprised how consistent my driving was compared to last time. For most of my runs I ended up getting 16.00xx almost every single time (with the exception of a 16.1 and a 16.3). While the poly rear dogbone helped out tremendously I still for the life of me could not hook due to the crappy Firestone Affinitys I am running (these are an extremely hard compound econo tire with no traction whatsoever).

I was hoping to get a 14.9 but realized it's not gonna be possible with these tires. On to the good news, with these mods (see mod list in user profile) I went from trapping 85.31mph to trapping as high as 90.34mph so I am ecstatic about that. I think I will put the drag racing on pause until I at least get some better tires, it really feels like you are racing on ice with these. For you drag racing experts with my trap speeds what would that equate to if I could hook up and get my 60fts down? Anywho I posted two of my best runs and ended up finally eeking it down to a 15.9 before track closed and weather cooled down.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
Pretty good times indeed. 2500-3000 is a good launch rpm. Like onlycodered said all depends on your tires and how good they prepped the track. Anything under 16.00 is a good run. Keep us posted on your times and keep on having fun. [driving]

·
Registered
761 Posts
Terrible 60ft times with better tires you should be in the low 15s

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pausing drag racing until I get better tires, any idea on a better street tire with more grip than the economy tires I am running or do you recommend going all out drag radial? Also thinking of upgrading to 16" Focus wheels due to better contact patch. Any ideas are welcome, thanks again.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Those are good times and it shows that there is much more potential. The 60 ft times are high, and with the higher trap speed you should be in the mid 15s with better traction and a better launch. Definitely tires. DR tires would help, but not necessary at this stage. Some 16s that are not too heavy would be perfect.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So another update: Went back to the track this past Sunday with even more improvements and most importantly higher trap speeds. Since last time I fixed an intake manifold leak (see here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/duratec-performance-2003-2007/517577-cosi-knock-off-install-iac-3.html) and switching to a CAI (see here: http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL294/1893736/22236060/411555312.jpg) As I finally got the staging part down I was able to get a rhythm going. 60FT times still can be improved but I was also on 40% tread life Pirelli P6s which still gripped way better than the 15" Firestone Affinitys. Switching to 16" wheels/tires seemed to be an improvement. I did a total of 10 runs but will only post the important ones to avoid redundancy, towards the end of the day the car definitely did not feel as fast and times showed it as they started going back up to 15.8-16.0, clutch whilst not slipping definitely did not feel as "grabby" so I knew my times would go down. So a new clutch/lightweight flywheel upgrade is definitely in the roadmap. This will probably be my last run on this configuration and will be saving up for a 2.5L and a new clutch/flywheel (which will be awhile).

My first run was incredibly fun I cut a better 60FT than a New Edge Mustang (he did not like that lol) but of course lost due to it having much more power. The next runs show me running against my buddy in his 2010ish MZR Miata (who just happened to be there that same day) which I had trouble with before now running with and reeling in on top end, not to mention trapping higher than so definitely happy about that. And the last run shows my best time of 15.5 @ 90.33 MPH. My highest trap was 92.40 (vs. last time's highest of 90.34) so definitely a decent boost in power. Last but not least I know the potential for a high 14 is there (just limited by tires and launch/skill) so I am really stoked about that. While still slow to most this is the quickest car I have ever owned so definitely a milestone for me. Hope to show even more improvements with my engine swap which will probably be running a stage 2 cam/upgraded valvetrain.

First Run vs. New Edge

Highest traps (2nd slip in this pic is vs. Miata)

Best Run (vs. the Miata again)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts